Not good...not good

This is an interesting thread to me. I didn't really get a chance to read all of it, because after reading 20 different versions of the same post, my mind kind of goes to mush!!!

But in all honestly, if the decrease of Drum Corps is such a big issue, why doesn't somebody attack the issue? What are the suggestions to combat this problem? I'm just curious. Its my belief that every problem has a solution. Sometimes that solution is never found, but there is one none the less.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a place for DCI, there is a place for DCA, and there is a place for BOA. This is not a competition between DCI, DCA and BOA...that is just silly. We all do the same thing, even if some of the rules and means are different.

And lets be honest, there are things that DCA corps are able to do differently or better than a DCI corps could do (like fit into people's real lives, and entertain in a slightly more old-fashioned manner....don't flame me for that please...), and DCI corps have opportunities that DCA corps wont (like 3 straight months on everyday rehearsals...lets face it, DCI corps have the ability to achieve at higher levels than DCA corps do...don't flame me for that either please...) and BOA groups have the ability to be much more experimental since they have built-in fan groups that just won't jump ship (band parents, students, etc...). There are more, but there are some significant differences between what each of these variations on "our theme" can and can't do. But ultimately we all make up the same "industry" and should be supportive of our differences and strengths.

M

Great post!

Fran

Rambling...rambling and then this occurred...

Oh and DCIU did kill some smaller mid-west corps….

See a few years ago we had this DCM thing; they had a regularly scheduled championship. All DCM corps had to go to the championship where their placement would determine the amount of show money they would receive at following DCM shows, which show also bank-rolled a good chuck of DCM

One year, the top DCM and thus the top DCI corps, but only the chosen few corps (the ones will clout in DCI) decided to boycott the DCM show in favor of a DCI tour that would take them far, far away from their Midwest stomping grounds

Well, DCM lost its draw, many of its member corps and a ton of money…no more little regional shows and no more pay outs to little regional corps

But those big corps (DCI is made up of a few Corps, right) now could own the market and the ‘sport’ and bring all the spoils to themselves

Yes, monopolies are always good for us consumers

Name me one non-DCI or senior corps in DCM worth fans paying money for. The DCA takes care of the all-ages corps, and DCI takes care of the rest. If the non-DCI/DCA corps would have had entertaining and quality shows, fans would have spent money to see them and sponsors would have paid to host them. DCM outlived it's purpose and at many DCM shows I attended...most fans showed up for Kilties and the Div. Is...sorry, but that's what I saw from 1994 - the end.

Also, didn't DCM try to run a circuit without the Div. I DCI members? I think Pioneer was still there as well as Kilties...it wasn't successful because the average drum corps fans didn't want to spend an evening and $15-$20 to see Pioneer , Kilties and the rest.

Rambling...rambling and then this occurred...

Also, didn't DCM try to run a circuit without the Div. I DCI members? I think Pioneer was still there as well as Kilties...it wasn't successful because the average drum corps fans didn't want to spend an evening and $15-$20 to see Pioneer , Kilties and the rest.

I'm afraid your analysis is misleading. The reason DCM no longer operates is because there are no non-DCI or non-DCA corps. Saying DCM "wasn't successful" is inaccurate, IMO.

If I remember right, the corps participating and audience attendance grew until 1981.

That was the peak year for DCI.

1982 began the decline.

I found this info a few years ago, but can't

find it now to link to. Can anyone else confirm this?

According to the numbers posted on this thread, in 1991, only 63 of the 113 competing corps actualy went to DCI. In 2006, 51 of the 55 corps went.

Actually, 49 of 55, as Jubal and Yamato are not "North American" corps.

I don't really have a point...just thought that interesting...

Oh, it is interesting. See, there used to be local circuits. And DCI used to have these events called "regionals", where corps of all divisions could compete in a big weekend event close to home. Now, we could argue in circles about who caused what....but now that both local circuits and DCI regionals are gone, it's no surprise that a much higher percentage of the remaining corps attend DCI Championships. It's the only focus event available to them, essentially.

OK, just an observation...

There's been roughly 20-something D1's for a while - roughly.

Everyone is complaining about the lack of the total number of corps.

Most of the general loss has been in D2/3.

A record 4,190 people showed up to all the D2/3 finals events this year -- highest in ten years.

I think there might have been 14 people at D2 prelims when it started that bought a ticket.

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, did it make noise?

If a tree is uprooted, taken 100 miles away from the forest, and then left to fall on it's own, and no one is there to....oh, never mind.

I'm afraid your analysis is misleading. The reason DCM no longer operates is because there are no non-DCI or non-DCA corps. Saying DCM "wasn't successful" is inaccurate, IMO.

I don't think it was misleading. DCM did run at least one season after the top DCI corps pulled out. Cavies, Regiment, Bluecoats and the rest left DCM and attended the DCI-Central championship instead.

The top corps were Kilties and Pioneer and perhaps Minnesota Brass and Chop Stix, I don't recall. But, I do remember the season failed to draw audience without the top Div. I corps.

I guess this may be a premise worth discussing...

Are fans and members alike in many ways...do they want to march a top program or not at all...likewise do they want to see the top programs or not at all?

Just asking...