So I was on Sr.Corps.com, specifically, http://diceman.home.att.net/70s.htm , and I found it curious that the Cabs, who won DCA that year, according to the shows for which there were scores, hadn't won a show until August 26. In fact they were finishing as low as 4th, and in some cases many points out of first.

So, did they do a major revamp or cleaning that suddenly catapulted them to the win?

RM - Just curious

ampssuck

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA Finals that year was a wild finish to that season, for sure.

The Caballeros caught and passed the Skyliners the weekend before, then won Prelims and Finals.

I'm pretty sure.... could be wrong here...... that the Cabs won Finals that year without winning a single major caption.... Brass, Percussion, Marching, and General Effect. I believe the breakdown was: Buccaneers, High Horns... Hurricanes, High Percussion.... and Skyliners, Marching and GE.

Skyliners had a 1-point timing penalty at Finals.... without the penalty, Sky would have won the show by a slim margin. But of course, penalties are part of the game.

I was 14 years old that year..... had great seats for Finals at Roosevelt Stadium.... and I watched in awe that night as corps after corps basically blew the stands down. Especially the top five...Cabs, Sky, Buccaneers, Hurricanes and Rochester Crusaders......wow! Also that night, the Matadors made their first-ever appearance in DCA Finals.

Easily one of the best DCA championships ever, IMO.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

To address the original question of this thread, my brother-in-law marched with the Caballeros in 1972.... he has told me that the time the Cabs spent in Chicago for the American Legion national championship that summer really helped the corps, even though the Cabs lost the American Legion show to the Crusaders.

He says the Cabs got in a lot of rehearsal time during that trip... and that helped 'em make the final push into DCA week.

Fran

Yep, Cabs had a steep improvement curve thruought that season. We were beating them by some 7 points at one time early, just nipped them at AL then they hammered us pretty good at DCA. Memorable year indeed!

Fran- I too, remember the '72 DCA Finals as one of my all-time favorites. I had just finished boot camp, and was on leave before returning to Parris Island for music school. The top 4 were SO good, I wished they all could win! I really thought Sky was going to win, but as you noted, they had the penalty.

The next day, I looked in the mirror. My face was all red! I thought it was sunburn. Then it dawned on me...it was "HORN-BURN!

BTW, I don't remember seeing you there that weekend.....but then, I wasn't looking for a brightly colored Aloha shirt! b**bs

Before my time but forgot about Crusaders beating Cabs at AL Championships. :wall:

1972 DCA Champs was also the year Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots decided if they didn't make Finals they would close up shop. They missed and went inactive..... Shade of Brigs the next year.

'72 Cru was SMOKIN' ! Possibly the best year the Crusaders ever had, IMHO. BTW, Cru also won the Am. Leg. Natl. title in '65 or '66. I forgit :wall:

Don't forget Rebels. They were in the mix and what a corps they were. They beat Cabs by 3 points at Barnum Festival. BTW, Who was the baritone soloist for the Rebels that year? Man could he wail :wall::wall::worthy: .

Don't forget Rebels. They were in the mix and what a corps they were. They beat Cabs by 3 points at Barnum Festival. BTW, Who was the baritone soloist for the Rebels that year? Man could he wail :wall::wall::worthy: .

Probably Bob Gaff...?

Currently with Sky Alumni, formerly Marine Corps D&B Corps - and Rebs for years...

His bari solo in "Basin Street" in the late 60s was SWEET!