By the way the best show of 1972 was NOT a DCA show,and it was not judged, but it was what the CABS and CRUSADERS did at the RACINE exibition before the AL, they have to rated as two of the most exciting shows ever preformed by any DCA corps ever.

While I truly enjoy your enthusiasm, you statement is HIGHLY debatable. B) The same holds true about your claim to your hornline, highly debatable. B) On the other hand your comments regarding that ex-Skyliner is pretty true, except he later became their director and is presently the chairman of the board that oversees them to this day. Go figure.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the 71 season, there was a big turnover in the drum line and the horn line of the Caballeros. Guys from Blessed Sacrament, Garfield and Muchachos came over. The horn line had 72 horns and the corps was huge but the corps was also rough around the edges.

DCI Championships were held in Whitewater, Wisconsin that week and we were invited to do an exhibition at Racine. Man, we rocked the place and for the first time we felt we had something. The audience went wild and our performance only reinforced our confidence. the Cabs were all male at that time.

I was at that exhibition in Racine (Mariners were in the first half of the show) and it was the first time I ever saw seniors other than Boys of 76. I can still remember call to the bulls followed by 36 horns lining up in the sideline. Great huh? Lets get on with the show! Wait a minute, another call to the bulls and 36 more horns come out and the crowd is already beside itself and a single note has yet to be played. This would be the time to remind readers that the average VFW finalist junior horn line was upper 30s low 40s. Note of interest, that was initially what the Madison Reunion corps had planned to do as we lined up on opposite sidelines. Time constraints made them decide to have us all come out at the same time. All 116 of us.

I dont remember much about the peformance except that they played Captain and Conquest, big time favorites. The soloists were hot, the drum line was phenomenal, the timbale player made quite an impression on the crowd.. For years and years Cabs were the ultimate in senior corps to me. In fact as good as Muchachos got in the next couple years, I still preferred Cabs.

Edited by Scerpella

It will always be my opinion that CRUSADERS 72 honline can match up against anyones, but since I played in that hornline I also admitt my bias, none the less, I will match that recording at DCA finals against any others you care to bring,and we can do it at my house next year during DCA finals in Rochester and we might as well make it party, I'll make the pasta you bring any recordings you want.

It will always be my opinion that CRUSADERS 72 honline can match up against anyones, but since I played in that hornline I also admitt my bias, none the less, I will match that recording at DCA finals against any others you care to bring,and we can do it at my house next year during DCA finals in Rochester and we might as well make it party, I'll make the pasta you bring any recordings you want.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe we can make it an even better party by having "Boots" and his family party involved to keep the memory of his dad, one of the really great drum corps personalities from that area, Harvey Martin alive. Whadaya say? I'll be there for that. Make it a 35th anniversary party of one of the greatest DCA years to date. And since all of the competing participants are long since over all of the "nefarious shinanagans" that took place on the field by the judge(es) in question, maybe they should come and we came throw rotten eggs at them. :grouphug:

Or if you can't wait:

Give me a time and I'll queue up Cru and anyone else you want on Diceman Radio...

:)

Nanci and I listened to the '72 DCA Top 5 just the other night - great corps all!

The 1972 DCA is one that will be hotly debated as long as there are participants left. The bottom line though is that it was a fantastic year for senior Drum corps.

Amen!

sounds like 03 too

Not even close to 72............

Never mind

Edited by irishcab95

Not even close to 72............

Never mind

.....I don't know.... Brigs had gone almost 5 complete years undefeated, before Cabs edged us out at the Hurc's show the week before Finals. It's not my place to 'second-guess' a full panel of DCA judges, but there were a lot of people who sided with the Brigs, and thought they should have won. But, like '72...it's in the history books now. The important focus is always on the FUTURE.

'72 WAS one heck of a year though!!! :blink: