Hello, I'm a Percussionist

Hello :waves:,

I'm Cynthia. I love Percussion! Usually I end up playing pit mallets/traps for most marching ensembles, but I can do marching and concert snare, quads, and bass too. I'm a freshman music major at Moravian college. Hopefully I will make a corps and march (well, I'm in pit, so stand) this summer.

Due to schedule conflictions in high school this is my first year trying to march. You guys will probably see me asking a lot of questions on this forum.

This is a really cool site.

Which corps are you going to march with?

Hello and welcome!

Which corps are you going to march with?

Um, that recently became a bit of a problem. I really wanted to join the Crossmen and I signed up for their audition camp in New Jersey, but apparently the Crossmen are in Texas now......Texas is pretty far away. :(

Right now the only Drum corps I don't have to fly to is The Cadets. They will be even harder to get into because all the people who can't travel to Crossmen are going to audition there.

I'm looking into the Jersey Surfs, however this summer might be the only summer I can do a DCI 3-4 month tour season.

If I did fly I would only have enough money and time to audition once. If I made a corps I can fly out there for camps, but I don't want to fly out for an audition only to find all the Pit's old members came back and there are no spots. I could use some advice on which corps to try out for. Help please?

. If I made a corps I can fly out there for camps, but I don't want to fly out for an audition only to find all the Pit's old members came back and there are no spots. I could use some advice on which corps to try out for. Help please?

Hello there and welcome to the boards! It's nice to see another pitster on here. :D

I marched (well stood as you say :P ) in BD 93. I would have to say that BD is truley auditions people and it's not the fact of if you are a returning vet or not. They do their best to pick the best people for their lines. I live in KY and of course BD is in CA. I sent in an audition tape and was invited to a camp. Whether you realize it or not, every camp is an audition, but if you set your mind to it. You can march anywhere you want.

Good luck and keep us posted! B)

Besides Cadets you have Jersey Surf And Raiders who are a recent champion and this year finalist. Both are class groups. Surf travels a little more but look for big things from the Raiders. I have a "feeling" they'll be a big surprise next year.

I marched Crossmen my only year (in the recent old days) but pushed my son to march Surf or the Raiders. (he can;t do either because of really really bad feet)

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Yes, and I would throw in some multi percussion and a timpani solo as well...just to show them you can do it all. :) BTW, when you do scales, make sure you do a minimum of two octaves and try for three at a quick speed.