ONE HIT WONDERS

Just when it seemed that VH1 was the only place to unearth one hit wonders, I clicked over to the hugely satisfying corpreps.com to see how many drum corps, in the DCI years, had made finals just once. There have been just eight, with half of those eeking in at twelfth place. One, however, placed seventh its year.

Here they are: in my one hit wonder order of finish, bottom to top. Wonder which unit might become the next one hit wonder? In 2007, perhaps?

8. 1972, Bleu Raiders, twelfth place: Camptown Races* Proud Mary * Walk Him Up the Stairs * Aura Lee * French National Defile.Louisiana's only entrant in the activity.

7. 1973, Commodores, twelfth place: Russian Sailor's Dance * Navy Hymn * Sailor's Hornpipe * Anchors Aweigh * Rainy Days and Mondays * Celebrate * Popeye The Sailor Man * My Way. My personal favorite of the bunch, simply because I saw this show in my first live drum corps competition.

6. 1973, Black Knights, tenth place: Crown Imperial * Get It On * Russian Sailor's Dance * Man of La Mancha * Impossible Dream. The pith helmets, and the dense sound!

5. 1974, Purple Lancers, tenth place: Fourth Movement from Divergents * The Hoedown* Cakewalk * The Rag * La Fiesta Mexicana * Power to the People * If. This show was supposed to have finished much higher.

4.1975, Royal Crusaders, ninth place: Coronation of Boris Gudonov * Hallelujah Chorus * Amazing Grace * Old Time Religion * Colour My World * Make Me Smile. A glorious off-the-line!

3.1990, Dutch Boy, twelfth place: Strangers in the Night * My Way * It's Alright with Me * What Kind of Fool Am I * Come Back to Me * Once In A Lifetime. Drum corps' Bergeres!

2.1972, Des Plaines Vanguard, seventh place: Mars * Jupiter * Selections from West Side Story * Selections from Hair. Those horns!

1. 2002, Seattle Cascades, twelvth place: City Riffs: The Music of Leonard Bernstein - On the Town * Profanation * Simple Song * Riffs from Prelude Fugue and Riffs * Make Our Garden Grow. Just four years ago, but it finishes first because, as we all know, what is twelfth place this year, would have placed much much higher historically.

I think there are may actually be 9 One Hit Wonders.

The DeLaSalle Oaklands placed 7th in 1974, and it looks like they never competed again.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been amazed that the Upstate corridor of NY along I-90 that runs from Albany through Syracuse to Rochester and Buffalo was only able to produce 1 Top 12 corps.

More trivia:

New York has send the most corps to compete at a DCI Championship. Here is a list of states and the number of corps sent to compete at ALL levels. Then how many of those corps have made Open/D1 finals. (California will get to add 3 more to the list next year with Mystikal, Gold & BDC)

New York......... 41.........1

Massachusetts.....37.........3

Wisconsin.........23.........3

New Jersey........21.........3

California........20.........6

Illnois...........20.........5

Pennsylvania......15.........2

Washington........12.........1

Iowa..............10.........1

Ohio..............10.........2

Michigan..........10.........0

Edit: Thanks Mark

Edited by Ex VK DM

More trivia:

New York has send the most corps to compete at a DCI Championship. Here is a list of states and the number of corps sent to compete at ALL levels. Then how many of those corps have made Open/D1 finals. (California will get to add 3 more to the list next year with Mystikal, Gold & BDC)

California........20.........5

From what this is showing, Has the midwest always been a powerhouse for corps?

IMO every score in 1989 was WAY inflated. No one in their right mind can convince me otherwise. Look at it this way - Madison scored a 90.4 in 1987. There is no way we were better than the 1987 corps. Although I think the 1987 score for Scouts was a couple points too low, I think they were better than we were in 1989.

Star 1989, I thought should have maybe got that score, but they should have placed 4th instead of 6th.

While 89 was definitely one of the best years of corps, I have to agree that scores were a bithigh.

I think the biggest reason for this was the fact there were only 6 judges that summer.

3 up top, 3 on the field.

Not sure why that should have such a huge impact, but I am convinced thats the reason.

From what this is showing, Has the midwest always been a powerhouse for corps?

Well if you look at the number of corps that have made finals maybe. If you look at the total number of corps I'd have to say the east has produced the most DCI corps. (NY, Mass., NJ, PA)

1973 Belleville Black Knights in "PITH Helmets"?????

"HOORAY FOR CAPTAIN SPAULDING!"

More trivia:

California........20.........5

Shouldn't the number of finalists for CA be 6?

Kingsmen

Vanguard

Commodores

Blue Devils

Freelancers

VK

Just want to give credit where it's due... :)