1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

Wow. Let's try to keep this on topic, please.

Anyway, about the 92 Cadets. I love Holsinger piece they did, and their arrangement was really quite good, though the brass performance wasn't as great as it could have been, particularly wrt intonation. Have any of you ever played the actual wind ensemble piece? It's his masterpiece, IMO. If I played trumpet or horn, I'd be calling for a medic at the end of it, though. :P

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods have been slacking today. There's also been a TON of links to youtube and other video sites with rehearsal stuff on it, which they usually shut down almost immediately as well.

There's this big red button that you can press to help us not slack so much. It takes less time than making a post about it, even. I zapped a couple yesterday. :P

There's this big red button that you can press to help us not slack so much. It takes less time than making a post about it, even. I zapped a couple yesterday. :P

Hey now, let's try and keep this on topic.

Back to the discussion of Star being hated. I did not know it at the time watching videos, but yes, going back now you can feel the excitement when they are announced in 3rd. While its not my favorite patriotic show, it is a great show. Its been one of the shows I have listened to on many many occasions.

Anyway, about the 92 Cadets. I love Holsinger piece they did, and their arrangement was really quite good, though the brass performance wasn't as great as it could have been, particularly wrt intonation.

Considering the temperature that night, it didn't surprise me that many of the hornlines were struggling with intonation. It was mighty chilly.

ummm....yeah.....about that.....

I think Star '93 MIGHT have something to day about that.

Yes, but who'd listen? :worthy:

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesye

s pleeeeeez.

Warning...we didn't do anything fancy like Phantom or BD. The one thing in particular I remember is just eighth notes. With those 16 contras, you can really hear the layers in the chords...pipe organ comes to mind...Most people would probably find it boring but it knocks my socks off when I see it.

sorry again to continue the hijack of this subject.

Warning...we didn't do anything fancy like Phantom or BD. The one thing in particular I remember is just eighth notes. With those 16 contras, you can really hear the layers in the chords...pipe organ comes to mind...Most people would probably find it boring but it knocks my socks off when I see it.

sorry again to continue the hijack of this subject.

i promise im not someone who minds. im generally indifferent to "fanciness" if the fundamentals aren't consistantly there. thats just a general statement; hornlines playing exercises to sound impressive that dont do the simple things right (attacks/releases, blend, intonation, never giving up on phrases, higher pitches not sticking out of the texture, clear and uniform articulations, etc.) is the equivalent of a bunch of trumpet players standing outside on a tennis court at an audition camp in november, screaming out the highest notes they can play. maybe to a lesser extent (its obviously less arrogant on the participants' part), but the concept is still there; 'advanced' concepts being shown off without the correct musical training being prevelant behind it.

im not ranting about those two corps or anything, im just emphasizing the fact that hearing star's hornline play simple exercises perfectly is definitely something im interested in, because i know im going to be impressed by their ubiquity and focus (not to mention the sound, of course).

Edited by Jared_mello

Yes, he has made that claim to others. I don't know why anyone who marched years ago and seems knowledgeable about the activity would be hiding their marching experience (draw your own conclusions), but I'll stop asking since apparently (according to a mod) I am harrassing him by asking what years he marched.

Color me crazy, but if ANYONE decides not to disclose "personal information", that's THEIR choice, and quite frankly..........to "prod' someone regarding said information is inappropriate.

It's really nice to know a guy like you worries so much about a guy like me. - (Roy Hobbs - The Natural)

Color me crazy, but if ANYONE decides not to disclose "personal information", that's THEIR choice, and quite frankly..........to "prod' someone regarding said information is inappropriate.

Ok, I'll stop asking, since its obvious he won't answer, which is an answer in and of itself.

Now, to get this back on topic (interesting that my off-topic response to you was deleted but yours is still here), 92 Cadets has never been one of my favorite Cadets shows, especially musically. I think this is one of those pieces that is just overkill. . .one big lick after another, without much melody. But, when watching the show, I like it much more. I think Cadets had an awesome visual book this year, and that definitely propelled them to their placing.