DCI's Best Ballads

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe I'm the only one who mentioned BK 99. Where's the love? :blink:

I said it.

another one... BK 06.

That was probably one of my favorite moments of all the corps this year... they blew me away.

~>conner

Ballad now = Closer then, but 1976 BD "Chase the Clouds Away" (W/Bonnie Ott solo) was awesome

Another cool one was in 82 at DCI Midwest in Whitewater. During break between prelims and finals there was a HUGE thunderstorm. As it was clearing up, over the hill 27 Lancers were playing "Danny Boy" I was introducing a few folks to drum corps that night - 27 set the mood perfectly

There's so many great ballads...

My vote would be between SCV 99 (fantastic Baritone solo from Mr Gerard) and Cadets 2001.

Despite really wanting to go for SC, I think it's going to be Cadets seeing as I have a little story around that tune.

I remember Cadets playing Vide Cor Meum at one of the early Cali shows in 2001 (might have been Concord?) we'd just been on and had a great show. Rick was talking to the corps off the side of the field. We were circled up and I was stood with my Euph boys (and girls) it was a gorgeous evening, really clear and warm, and behind us the Cadets were playing their ballad... and it sounded beautiful.

That was the moment that it really hit me I was "doing DCI". One of my best memories from that summer.

Edited by Feet

no one has mentioned 89 BD???

I'm for it.

The few more that stick out in my mind are Cavies '90 & 91 as well as Crossmen '04.

I just listened to Cadets '98 followed by a quick listen of the source piece of the ballad (Jan van der Roost's "Canterbury Chorale"). IMO, I would have loved to hear the Cadets take it a tad slower and really milk it for what it's worth.

Earlier tonight, I was listening to a ballad by Gordon Goodwin's BPB off of his latest CD (The Phat Pack). It kinda' screams Troopers to me, and if you get a chance, take a listen to "Ever Braver, Ever Stronger" (An American Elegy)". It has potential.

said it once, say it again, Adagio or Strings brings tears to my eyes every single time. I feel like I practically know krystal.

03 phantom

92 bd

05 cadets

89 scv

05 spirit

thats it hands down in that order

I think that's it for ballads. Personally, I think high school bands do them better.

wow......ouch......no comment to that......i just disagree

Phantom Regiment 1995 is up there. :)

It better be. I don't think there's been anything like it before or since.

I could just picture those photos hanging in a corps hall late at night and really playing for each other. Makes me cry... :(