Most Impressive Statistic...

DCI Historical Stats  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most impressive statistic in DCI History?

• SCV's 35 consecutive appearances at Finals
    • Blue Devils' 32 consecutive top 5 placements
    • Cavaliers' 7 consecutive top 2 placements
    • Blue Devils' 11 championships
    • Blue Devils' average placement of 2.58

To me, the most impressive feat for any of these corps is to stay healthy financially and competitive.

All of the impressive statistics that are in the OP are impressive no doubt, but each is about equal. None of them really trump the other.

If you think about drum corps prior to DCI, then corps like the Cavaliers and Cadets have been around for a lot of years, and they have maintained a healthy organization while remaining competitive for most of those years. If you throw in all their national titles and DCI titles, they have more trophies than you can shake a stick at.

BD and SCV have been more recent examples of excellence in consistency in competitive and financial health. Both corps also changed the competitive landscape back in the 70s, and, perhaps as much as Garfield, set drum corps on the path it is today.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I've noticed is that the Cadet's don't really have a championship consistency like other corps.

1985-1st

1986-4th

1987-1st

1989-5th

1990-1st

1991-6th

1998 - 1st

1999 - 4th

2000 - 1st

2004- 4th

2005 -1st

2006 -5th

they jump all over the place, no real "gradual" movement up or down. Just spots of years here and there dip and downs.

probably a lot of times, the most unpredictable championships, not during the season, but before.

I picked: SCV's 35 consecutive appearances at Finals.

I think Santa Clara has the most 2nd place finishes overall in DCI (7). Remember, before 1990 SCV had been first (6x), second(7x) or third (5x) every time except for 1980 when they were 7th (I think they started asymetric dill that year and the judges didn't know how to judge it). My boys have had a great DCI the past decade, but I think getting 3rd or better 18 out of 20 tries might be a little more impressive. Of course the Blue Devils are the most consistent DCI corps in its history. They just tend to bounce around the top 5 more than SCV. Not that it's a problem!

I picked SCV.

Some day some other corps may be able to match the stats listed for Cavies and BD. But as long as SCV continues to stay in finals, no other corps will ever be able to match the record of being in finals every single year.

top five and top two for years on end might be impressive, but 11 championship rings talk to me more.

20 National Championships > 11 National Championships in my book!!!! :laugh:

BD's best 10-year period was 1976-1985 (you can also use 1977-1986 and get the same result) with an average of 1.7.

Cadets' best 10-year run was 1992-2001 with an average of 2.0.

Cavaliers best 10-year run is their current one (1997-2006) with an average of 2.3.

Cavies 1960-69 average placement at Championships (VFW/AL) was 1.53.

20 National Championships > 11 National Championships in my book!!!! :laugh:

Sometimes we forget that drum corps existed before DCI. Another way to make statistics say what you want. The Cavies have won 20 championships in the past 48 years. That works out to a championship every 2.4 years. BD has won 11 championship in the past 30 years. That works out to a championship every 2.73 years. The championship rate, after they won their first, clearly favors the Cavies.

Sometimes we forget that drum corps existed before DCI.

Cavies 1960-69 average placement at Championships (VFW/AL) was 1.53.

I understand your points, and really do respect drum corps pre-DCI. I'm not trying to work the numbers in anyone's favor; this particular poll was just about the DCI-era.

You know what I've noticed is that the Cadet's don't really have a championship consistency like other corps.

1985-1st

1986-4th

1987-1st

1989-5th

1990-1st

1991-6th

1998 - 1st

1999 - 4th

2000 - 1st

2004- 4th

2005 -1st

2006 -5th

they jump all over the place, no real "gradual" movement up or down. Just spots of years here and there dip and downs.

probably a lot of times, the most unpredictable championships, not during the season, but before.

Personally I think this is because The Cadets push the envelope of what we call "drum corps" more then any other corps. With this philosophy comes risk. With risk you get the above.

I don't mind someone trying to change an activity for what they feel is the betterment of the entire activity but when you don’t end up marching off the field last on finals not, don't complain about it.