Who would love the Cadets again?

I guess I missed out on the gene that makes shows with understandable words unappealing.

To me, and to thousands of other people, it can make a show seem cheesy, stupid, awkard, and immature. It was PAINFUL to watch the Cadets in Madison. That should never be the case for ANY corps.

I want to hear eleven-and-a-half minutes of music. Someone saying a sentence is not music. And there were a lot of sentences.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, until I can actually conduct a massive poll of what people thought of the show, I'll only make one argument: I thought the show was terrible and I know a lot of people didn't like it either, and we would hate to see the Cadets continue in this direction and would prefer they not use vocal amplificiation and put out some amazing shows (according to us) like they used to.

unsolicited advice re: cadets 2006 discussion --

stop it. its just a drum corps show. its not a treatise on educational philosophy, statistical analysis, entertainment, or anything else that can be measured "objectively."

there is no "like it or don't like it" dichotomy. relax and enjoy the show to some varying degree between 0 and 1.

here's to the cadets continuing to be the cadets for many more years.

unsolicited advice re: cadets 2006 discussion --

stop it. its just a drum corps show. its not a treatise on educational philosophy, statistical analysis, entertainment, or anything else that can be measured "objectively."

there is no "like it or don't like it" dichotomy. relax and enjoy the show to some varying degree between 0 and 1.

here's to the cadets continuing to be the cadets for many more years.

This post + bawker's post of the amazing Jar Jar = end of discussion. For me, anyway.

I enjoyed 05 .. 06 just had Tooo much ove the top stuff going on.. So if they do a show that you can Enjoy that is what I am for..

I like when they did Moondance and stuff like that and it was fun.. They can do that again and max it out and get another ring I think..

I enjoyed 05 .. 06 just had Tooo much ove the top stuff going on.. So if they do a show that you can Enjoy that is what I am for..

I like when they did Moondance and stuff like that and it was fun.. They can do that again and max it out and get another ring I think..

w/Stp:

But I agree with the rest. Let's end this topic now. It is way past even beating a dead horse.

I would love them if they did a 25th anniversary, updated re-creation of that fantastic 1982 show next year. They should put the guard in the same unis - sorry guys - and give us some of the key moments of that show, with enough modernity in between to satisfy the judging community.

(UGH - that was 25 years ago?)

Where to start? It was such a cool year for them. DCW was all over the fact that they beat 27th (may they rest) at the first show. I saw them in June at Drums on Parade in Madison--it was all so new and innovative and cool. Of course there was George Z's revolutionary drill (may he rest) . . . in retrospect, I think it's poetic justice that George B. and company drove GZ and co. out only to die an ugly death while the Garfield Cadets flourished.

The Cesario Bros. deserve much credit for the fabulousness of this corps, especially with regard to the color guard. Speaking of the guard:

Rifles - kicked ### - esp with the 360 OTL

Flag line - kicked ### - that full guard flag exchange during the tenor solo in the midst of Concerto in F is one of the most amazing drum corps moments EVER.

The company front at the end of Concerto in F with the beautiful blue swing flags - PERFECTION.

I certainly don't want to overlook the members of the color guard themselves, who totally worked it. Well done, ladies. What was it like to perform that show??

I'm a guard person. so those things come to mind first, but how about the hornline?? And the music!? It was the first year of Rocky Point Holiday, but the two Gershwin pieces that followed were so absolutely perfect. (Cool to think that the corps was founded when he was still alive.) With all due respect to Madison, my alma mater, the GARFIELD Cadets' 1982 Cuban Overture was just magnificent. WHO were those soprano soloists?

So - that's my wish list for Cadets 07. I logged on here to submit a tribute to the 1982 corps . . . if a DVD can be worn out I will do it watching that show.

Cheers -

Marc Giles

Chicago

Thunderbolts d & b 1979, winter guard 1981-89

Madison Scouts 1984-88