I wish there was a SPTDBCA

What the heck is SPTDBCA? Have you ever heard of SPBSQSA?

There is a orginization called the Society for the Preservation of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America. (I hope I have that title correct). It is very large and most barber shop quartets belong to it. I believe they started many years ago to preserve what was becoming a lost art - singing in 4 part harmony.

Recently, I was over at the DCI boards in a post about the dwindling number of DCI corps and I was posting my seemingly singular belief that DCI ruined drum corps, (on a DCI Board! I know! What was I thinking? I was trying to reason, but they're kids! I started getting replies with more #### than words. Well, it was disrespectful of me, I guess, to write against DCI on their board - lesson learned).

But one of the responders suggested I go back and watch old videos of corps from the '60s and 70's and compare them to today's DCI corps and then I'd see how superior and how superior DCI is to the old corps.

I took his advice. I watched and listened to almost everything I have. (yes, my turntable is used often). Then I watched all the DCI I could stand. Now, I have helped out at some high schools that do DCI shows so I am familiar with what they do. (as an aside I think they all take themselves WAY too seriously).

Yeah, some DCI stuff is really good, but....... it ain't drum corps. If it looks like a band, sounds like a band, plays band instruments... well, you know what I mean.

I went to YOUTUBE.com and saw some neat stuff. There's a video of Royal Airs Alumni doing an semi traditional OTL and color presentation. The quality of the video was bad, but the color presentation gave me goosebumps. I haven't had drum corps goosebumps in a long while.

I watched some old movies of my junior corps and Buccaneers from 1975 - 1981. I watched a video of Troopers from 1971, How cool was that? And Kilties. That was all I could find video-wise. And I listened to records and tapes. Lots of them

Then I listened to some more DCI. Crossmen were good - what happened? And why hasn't Phantom ever won? I have been to several DCI shows, Although East only once several years ago.

Still with me?

I came away with the feeling that a great tradition has died. Some say evolved, I say devolved. Corps could've used band instruments, they were around then and more plentiful. There was a point to playing bugles and a certain type of drum.

When you look and listen to the old shows you can't help but get the point.

The point wasn't to give the crowd as close a Broadway experience as possible like DCI does. The point was to be the best possible in a very disciplined activity within strict guidelines. That in mind, those old shows were extremely exciting. I'm glad I dug all those old records and tapes out. (I'd go back to the DCI board and thank the guy for the suggestion, but then I'd have to say I still think I'm right and then they'd start with all the #### and stuff and get all huffy and nasty. KIDS!)

So, I wish there was a Society for the Preservation of Traditional Drum and Bugle Corps in America, where the tradition and excellence we once knew as kids could be passed on for future generations to enjoy. Some would ask, would people actually pay to see something like that, especially since DCI is around doing modern shows? To them I could only say you have totally missed the point. It's not for the audience, it's for the marchers and their quest for perfection and victory in a time honored way. And sure, people are welcome to watch, they'd get a great show.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called DCA alumni corps.

It's called DCA alumni corps.

I don't know if you're trying to be a smart aleck or have never experienced traditional drum corps, Dave. I find you response snide.

DCA Alumni corps are not what I'm talking about. You're one of the ones that don't "get it".

DCA or whatever alumni corps are social groups that still like to get together and perform. Sometimes they exist as a way to raise money for their former corps if it is still active.

I'm talking about a way to pass on a tradition, which I feel DCI and DCA have abandoned. I not bashing DCI or DCA by saying this they are what they are and people love them. I'm more partial to DCA, myself.

Watching and listening to the rich heritage recently has perhaps made me nostalgic, but has also made me realize that something truly special is gone.

To say that what was in the past is a just a DCA alumni corps is an insult to anyone that ever marched in a traditional drum corps. You should be ashamed of your disregard for some really great people and performances that spawned what you now love.

To be sure, Alumni corps are wonderful. I belong to one. We get together to do some serious work, but also to socialize.

However, I went to a DCI board and stated these feelings and that I thought the "old corps" were better. So I guess I deserve a shot from a DCI guy. But just one.

Edited by Martybucs

Marty, I think this is a good idea. Put together traditional shows with a color pre, p/r or single -valve horns, OTL, enter and exit from the end zone, everything carried, etc. I don't know if it could fly as a separate competitive division (although that would be great, too), but even a few exhibition corps would be great. There is value in honoring drum corps tradition, even if it would only be in exhibition to show younger generations the roots of the activity.

But the question is Marty, how to pass down tradition as the shows changed over the years. Do we want to pass down the AL/VFW based show before our time (I started 1974), the 70s power type shows or 80 and beyond when Sr corps started really exploring what could be done on the field? IOW, how to pick when we went from the basic Fanfare, OTL, concert, color-pre, etc type of show to freedom to pick any song in any order. In the last few years Cabs Alumni have had songs from 1950s (Cherry Pink) to 1980s (Don't Cry for Me Argentina). So with sure changes and history in Drum Corps where would we begin to pick?

As far as Alumni corps each seems to have their own "personality", way to perform (stand still, parade, field show) and reason for existing. And not all play their old music. IOW, you can't just say "this" is what Alumni corps is about.

And jfmello, have you ever heard a recording of single valve horns? Interesting what was done with such a limited amount of playable tones.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

But the question is Marty, how to pass down tradition as the shows changed over the years. Do we want to pass down the AL/VFW based show before our time (I started 1974), the 70s power type shows or 80 and beyond when Sr corps started really exploring what could be done on the field? IOW, how to pick when we went from the basic Fanfare, OTL, concert, color-pre, etc type of show to freedom to pick any song in any order. In the last few years Cabs Alumni have had songs from 1950s (Cherry Pink) to 1980s (Don't Cry for Me Argentina). So with sure changes and history in Drum Corps where would we begin to pick?

As far as Alumni corps each seems to have their own "personality", way to perform (stand still, parade, field show) and reason for existing. And not all play their old music. IOW, you can't just say "this" is what Alumni corps is about.

And jfmello, have you ever heard a recording of single valve horns? Interesting what was done with such a limited amount of playable tones.

Frankly, I would limit it to pre-Combine/DCI rules. I would stick with American Legion and VFW rules. The shows of the '70s were great, but they started to abandon the tradition. Stuff started creeping onto the field; the starting line was abandoned; scoring became less about precision and more about entertainment value.

Many analogies come to mind, but each is sure to start a maelstrom of responses - all off target.

I know the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps is traditional and perhaps some others, but they have been getting pressure to change.

I'm just saying there is something to be said of tradition for tradition's sake.

Imagine buying a ticket to see the Queen's regiment, the Black Watch and Regimental Band perform. (I know you probably wouldn't, but bear with me.) You're set for some rousing music and immersing yourself in some Scottish tradition.

As you're waiting, a small lawn tractor putters out to the arena and sets up all kinds of various percusion, marimbas, bells, and whatever on the side. "Hmmm". you say. Then while you're waiting for the band to come triumphantly marching into the arena in grand military parade with pipes urging them on, you see them come into the arena and set up a formation.

(neatly, mind you)

"What?" you say. Then you're imagining the regimental colors and the clan colors being trouped out, but there are people putting flag like things all around the place, (but they're plaid).

"Well, that's progress", you reason, trying to keep an open mind. Then, Do they play, "Rule Brittania"!, "Amazing Grace"!, No.....

no...it's some sort of jazz song and the bag pipes are marching sideways. "Wait! now they're running and they're forming a....a....an English Muffin and now it's morphing into a....a....teapot!" "Fantastic!!!!"

Maybe, the show is terrific, but the tradition has been lost. Do you see what I mean?

I'm not saying Alumni corps don't strive to be good or even maintain a tradition. I march in an Alumni corps - I play a 3 valve soprano. Am I against progress? No, I was the first one in the corps to have a 3 valve - I bought my own in 1989. Even discussed with Donald Getzen how it could be improved.

In watching and listening to some old videos and records I realized more than ever that we have lost something incredible.

Yes, yes, DCI and DCA are great and the people are great and the kids are great. That is not what I mean.

Go back if you can and watch an old show that comes "off the line" and try to forget about DCI or DCA and don't compare what you see to today's shows - you can't.

As you see the corps on the line, the field is empty. There's anticipation. There's no pit, just the judges table. The drum major/ette marches to the head judge and gives a crisp salute. Their arm doesn't gyrate in all directions before coming to the salute - just a snappy salute and return. It was like a moment of honor.

Then the step off. It was usually a wow moment as the corps came onto the field and the music reached you and you saw a laser straight front moving across the starting line and into the field of competition. We honored our country with a color presentation. It was an emotional moment and you were part of it. Even back then, when a corps came at the stands in a large front with horns and drums ablazing you could feel the power, the intensity, and the emotion of what was on the field.

And with our flag proudly being presented with such power and fanfare, well, people would cheer of course, but many would tear up at the pride they felt inside. And that is what the corps on the field gave them.

The power and intensity and emotion are all in today's show, but there are distractions, streamers, giant banners, the entire percussion department from a music store in the pit. Hey, that's what they do today. That's entertainment. Fine.

I wish there was a way for people to enjoy traditional drum and bugle corps. Because it was great and because now it's gone and I think it was a great part of our country's heritage.

Please don't take this as a slam against post AL/VFW rules corps. I mean that as a point of reference for what I'm talking about.

Drum corps re-enactors? I know it won't happen. I just wish it would.

I don't know if you're trying to be a smart aleck or have never experienced traditional drum corps, Dave. I find you response snide.

DCA Alumni corps are not what I'm talking about. You're one of the ones that don't "get it".

DCA or whatever alumni corps are social groups that still like to get together and perform. Sometimes they exist as a way to raise money for their former corps if it is still active.

I'm talking about a way to pass on a tradition, which I feel DCI and DCA have abandoned. I not bashing DCI or DCA by saying this they are what they are and people love them. I'm more partial to DCA, myself.

Watching and listening to the rich heritage recently has perhaps made me nostalgic, but has also made me realize that something truly special is gone.

To say that what was in the past is a just a DCA alumni corps is an insult to anyone that ever marched in a traditional drum corps. You should be ashamed of your disregard for some really great people and performances that spawned what you now love.

To be sure, Alumni corps are wonderful. I belong to one. We get together to do some serious work, but also to socialize.

However, I went to a DCI board and stated these feelings and that I thought the "old corps" were better. So I guess I deserve a shot from a DCI guy. But just one.

Um, no. I get it just fine. You're looking for some sort of preservation society, and that's what alumni corps are, for all intents and purposes--not to preserve old-school in and of itself, but the corps' specific traditions and style. You're welcome to think whatever you want to, but you might want to think twice before you start trying to read my mind.

Um, no. I get it just fine. You're looking for some sort of preservation society, and that's what alumni corps are, for all intents and purposes--not to preserve old-school in and of itself, but the corps' specific traditions and style. You're welcome to think whatever you want to, but you might want to think twice before you start trying to read my mind.

No, I really don't think you DO get it. Alumni corps each have different philosophies and approaches to their programs. Virtually NO alumnis stick strictly with the VFW or AL rules approach or play on single valve horns. They generally pay tribute to their heritage but that is way different than what I believe the OP is proposing.