I wish there was a SPTDBCA

Um, no. I get it just fine. You're looking for some sort of preservation society, and that's what alumni corps are, for all intents and purposes--not to preserve old-school in and of itself, but the corps' specific traditions and style. You're welcome to think whatever you want to, but you might want to think twice before you start trying to read my mind.

Agree with Storkysr, some of the more well known Alumnis (Sky, Cabs, Bridgemen, others) try to preserve the corps old tunes and styles. Then some of the lesser known Alumnis don't even have a style or well known songs to play. (Thinking the corps in my avatar for that one.)

Not a slam, just something a lot of DC fans don't realize.

And Marty, know what you mean by 70s changes. MY first year we lined up in the corner and only the CG was allowed on the field before the first note. My last year it was anything goes with the exception of the front sideline.

And the image of the garden tractor with Black Watch :blink: Don't forget the semi full of crap... er equipment.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I really don't think you DO get it. Alumni corps each have different philosophies and approaches to their programs. Virtually NO alumnis stick strictly with the VFW or AL rules approach or play on single valve horns. They generally pay tribute to their heritage but that is way different than what I believe the OP is proposing.

Eggs-actly.

but I got a little snarky with Dave and I apologize, Dave.

It's frustrating trying to make this point or express an idea. Not an argument, a point or idea. I learned my lesson, I'm not saying one type of corps is better than another. I never meant to say that anywhere, anyhow, but you know how your words can be misunderstood online.

No, I really don't think you DO get it. Alumni corps each have different philosophies and approaches to their programs. Virtually NO alumnis stick strictly with the VFW or AL rules approach or play on single valve horns. They generally pay tribute to their heritage but that is way different than what I believe the OP is proposing.

I believe that's what I said: that alumni corps pay tribute to that corps and its history, more so than simply being "old school."

Thanks, Marty and Jim, for making me remember. I've always been bothered by the equipent & pit setup aspect of modern drum corps, but couldn't say why. You're right, it does take away from the majesty of the the moment. One thing about pits is that they have to play all the time. It's distracting when it's a soft beautiful moment and all I can hear is the keyboards plinking away. Now amplify them. Jeeez! Flame away pit people.

I play in the Thunderbirds. We're not about old time traditional field corps or marching or even being an alumni corps. Just standing & playing snazzy tunes. It's fun but not the real experience. What we are now is not what we were then. So sign me up for the preservation society.

I believe that's what I said: that alumni corps pay tribute to that corps and its history, more so than simply being "old school."

I'm not talking about a tribute. I am talking about actual performance.

Alumni corps does not necessarily mean "Old School". Like I said, I play in an Alumni corps and we have 3 valve bugles and the newest snares, toms and whatever available.

Nothing personal to percussion, but I hate the new snares. It's like they're drumming right on your ear drum, but they do project.

Thanks, Marty and Jim, for making me remember. I've always been bothered by the equipent & pit setup aspect of modern drum corps, but couldn't say why. You're right, it does take away from the majesty of the the moment. One thing about pits is that they have to play all the time. It's distracting when it's a soft beautiful moment and all I can hear is the keyboards plinking away. Now amplify them. Jeeez! Flame away pit people.

I play in the Thunderbirds. We're not about old time traditional field corps or marching or even being an alumni corps. Just standing & playing snazzy tunes. It's fun but not the real experience. What we are now is not what we were then. So sign me up for the preservation society.

Yeah Mike, my problem with all the pit equipment is I think of the start up costs for a new corps and I cringe. :( Actually wonder what costs more, pit equipment or full horn line. :sshh:

Feeling I get in Hanover is a bunch of people getting together to play songs that the crowd enjoys. Half in jest I call us "The town band that happens to be a Drum Corps" :)

Thunderbirds.... Thunderbirds.... where have I heard that name before. ^0^ Countdown until Gary, Gene, or Cliff (marimbasaurusrex) responds... 10, 9,.......

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I have no problem signing my name next to Mikey B's :blink: I started this gig back in 1958 so you KNOW I'm a traditionalist. (Royal Airs Color-pre still gives me goose bumps)

honestly i see very few people who would want to march shows like this or even if they want to, still physically be able to march shows like this.

despite the original comment that it's for the marchers and not for the audience, i know very few people who have marched that didn't do it for the crowd and audience response. i can't see people having an interest in putting that much time and effort into learning a show to play for an audience of 50 or so people.

just my opinon ~ sure i'll be torn to shreads for it.

honestly i see very few people who would want to march shows like this or even if they want to, still physically be able to march shows like this.

despite the original comment that it's for the marchers and not for the audience, i know very few people who have marched that didn't do it for the crowd and audience response. i can't see people having an interest in putting that much time and effort into learning a show to play for an audience of 50 or so people.

just my opinon ~ sure i'll be torn to shreads for it.

"Torn to shreads" Why? You have a valid point.

I'm not talking about us old guys marching, but teaching younger ones to carry on the legacy. Take a look at some old shows. It's not just that we were good. The WHOLE concept was good. It was a true, pure spectacle. Not so much a show for the audience. More a test of ourselves and what we could do. And if the audience loved it, well, who doesn't love praise for what they do?

You know very few people that didn't do it for the crowd.

Well, that in mind, you do almost everything you do for an "audience". Either for the benefit of your family, your work, your friends, your church, or your corps. But to do for others, you must first be willing to do for yourself. You must be willing to be your best and to do your best to your satisfaction and then you are willing to give it to others when you know what you have to offer is the best you have to offer.

You perform your best for yourself and your comrades and finally, the audience. If they like it, fine, and everyone is happy. If you give your best and no one likes it and you did it solely for the audience, then all was for nothing.

I loved a positive audience response, but that's not why I put in all that practice time, endured all that discomfort, spent all that time on buses and ate all that terrible food, etc.

I think Archie's motto says it. With your permission Musketeers, "All for One and One for All".

I think what your saying is one valid point to the whole idea.

Standard disclaimers; yes I know Archie didn't coin the phrase and yes, these are all my humble opinions

But the question is Marty, how to pass down tradition as the shows changed over the years. Do we want to pass down the AL/VFW based show before our time (I started 1974), the 70s power type shows or 80 and beyond when Sr corps started really exploring what could be done on the field? IOW, how to pick when we went from the basic Fanfare, OTL, concert, color-pre, etc type of show to freedom to pick any song in any order. In the last few years Cabs Alumni have had songs from 1950s (Cherry Pink) to 1980s (Don't Cry for Me Argentina). So with sure changes and history in Drum Corps where would we begin to pick?

As far as Alumni corps each seems to have their own "personality", way to perform (stand still, parade, field show) and reason for existing. And not all play their old music. IOW, you can't just say "this" is what Alumni corps is about.

And jfmello, have you ever heard a recording of single valve horns? Interesting what was done with such a limited amount of playable tones.

Good points all. If a separate division were to be formed, a set of rules (not necessarily tied to a particular historical period, but this would probably be the case) would, of course, have to be adopted. I think the most interesting and historically informative set of rules would be on the AL/VFW pre-DCI model. The problem would not, I think, be to find performers, but equipment. If Civil War re-enactors can do what they do, why can't a group of interested performers locate some horns and drums, design a show, and perform it? Liz may be right, maybe no one would come to see it. However, IMO this would not detract from the intrinsic value of keeping the old traditions alive (even if the traditions would be on life-support, so to speak).

Jim, I have heard old recordings of everything from the original bugles (no valves) up through single-valve and p/r horns. The sound was, shall we say, interesting. Raw, one might even say. But the accomplishments of corps of the '30s, '40s, '50s, and so on are amazing given the equipment they had to work with. However, given the inexorable march (no pun intended) toward a homogenization (sp?) of the 'marching arts' (hate that term, it's so self-congratulatory), I think that a hole has been created that could be filled quite nicely with at the very least some throw-back exhibition corps.