New trumpet

Hey, i found this site a long time ago and didn't have time to sign up for membership, but i decided that since my friends are tired of hearing about me prepping for auditions and sharing trivia with them, i'd join and hang out with fellow drum corps freaks. I'm auditioning in November for Bluecoats and Carolina Crown, and then I'll probably go to the second spirit audition in December. This is my first time auditioning. If you want to know about my drum corps interests, my favorite shows usually come from the older shows that I didn't get to see live. I love the '70's scouts and '90's Scouts. I like most SCV stuff, all VK stuff, and I'm disappointed with a lot of the newer shows from the corps... Cadets in particular. I have however enjoyed the recent Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Crossmen, and some of the Scouts stuff... i'm really looking forward to the new Scouts director as I've heard it's going back to the old school Scouts. If I get to hear them play Malaguena live within the next 3 years I'll consider my life complete.

-Weedy

Hey, i found this site a long time ago and didn't have time to sign up for membership, but i decided that since my friends are tired of hearing about me prepping for auditions and sharing trivia with them, i'd join and hang out with fellow drum corps freaks. I'm auditioning in November for Bluecoats and Carolina Crown, and then I'll probably go to the second spirit audition in December. This is my first time auditioning. If you want to know about my drum corps interests, my favorite shows usually come from the older shows that I didn't get to see live. I love the '70's scouts and '90's Scouts. I like most SCV stuff, all VK stuff, and I'm disappointed with a lot of the newer shows from the corps... Cadets in particular. I have however enjoyed the recent Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Crossmen, and some of the Scouts stuff... i'm really looking forward to the new Scouts director as I've heard it's going back to the old school Scouts. If I get to hear them play Malaguena live within the next 3 years I'll consider my life complete.

-Weedy

Welcome, I'm a new member too. You will enjoy this. Good luck with your auditions.

"Weedyweidenthal",

Just curious why you're not auditioning with the Scouts, you seem to be a big fan.

As an scout alumn I too am looking forward to the new Scouts director and staff (I believe they're called faculty now).

I worked with a lot of them in the Madison alumni corps this summer and was truthfully VERY VERY impressed.

The Scouts are a great family to be part of.

Did you get to hear Malaquena with 111 horns on prelim night??

Welcome to the site. Quite a few trolls who love to stir #### up but lots of old school and new school people to talk drum corps with.

"Weedyweidenthal",

Just curious why you're not auditioning with the Scouts, you seem to be a big fan.

As an scout alumn I too am looking forward to the new Scouts director and staff (I believe they're called faculty now).

I worked with a lot of them in the Madison alumni corps this summer and was truthfully VERY VERY impressed.

The Scouts are a great family to be part of.

Did you get to hear Malaquena with 111 horns on prelim night??

Welcome to the site. Quite a few trolls who love to stir #### up but lots of old school and new school people to talk drum corps with.

Oh, trust me... I've thought long and hard about being a Scout. I definitely am keeping it as an option, but I want to see how the new staff changes go. The marching technique was pretty disappointing this last year (but the playing was awesome!) and while I am a fan of music more than marching (especially the Scouts music :satisfied: ) I want to learn to march well and not have to worry about that being a problem. Also, the Scouts play high and loud (which I love) but I want to eventually be a soloist or lead player for a corps (after I've marched a few years) and I don't think I'll ever be able to cut a lead part like those guys. They're just so amazingly incredible. Heck yes I heard Malaguena prelim night (i was a seasonpass subscriber) and I nearly crapped myself. I was in my computer room going crazy. I'm hoping they pull Malaguena out again this year. The idea of trying out is incredibly tempting, but I just don't think I'd be able to cut it with those guys... now you're going to have me rolling over in my sleep because I won't quit fantasizing about it. I would be interested in talking to you though and finding out what you think about me trying out. Thanks for the welcomes

-Weedy

Holy crap! i just realized you marched in 1975/1976 :lol::satisfied::wub::wub::lol: I don't know how opften you hear this, but you sir, are my hero. I'm digging out the Madison Scouts collection volume 1 as we speak to watch that '75 show. :lol:

-Weedy

Weedy,

Well I'm glad you're an "old school" drum corps fan and enjoyed the alumni performance as well as the Madison shows that I marched in way back in the day.

I am really not the person to speak with regarding the direction of the corps, their marching style or music for 2007. Truthfully I hadn't been involved in drum corps for years until 2004 when I went to my home town drum corps reunion that summer and later to DCI in Denver where I met up with a bunch of Scout Alumni. I realized then what I had been missing all those years. Reconnecting with my roots in drum corps and the with old friends from my Scout family made me realize how much drum corps formed my life in almost every respect. Anyway I ended up moving back to the Madison area last fall, went to a 30th annivesary banquet for the 75 scouts and ended up joining the alumni corps.

All I can tell you is that the scouts are the greatest family in the world and to perform with them is a trip. The alumni corps was the most talented bunch I'd ever had the honor to be a part of. There are a lot of the new staff that worked with in the alumni corps and John Jorgenson(sp?) the new brass head got people from 6 decades of drum corps to sound like they'd been playing together for years. Being a brass player I'm sure you'd learn more from him than you'd ever imagine. By the way John J. was the bari soloist in the Scouts 1974 "God Bless a Child".

You sound like you're pretty young (you mentioned you have years ahead of you) so do what your gut tells you. Certainly don't be intimidated by the Scouts.

I would e-mail the new director and/or exec. director and get a feel from them about the questions you have. Go on the scouts site forum area and talk to some current scouts. It sounds like you probably live near Carolina or Ohio as that is where you mentioned you plan to audition. I would think there are Scouts in your area where car pooling may be a possibility.

I am not afiliated with the scouts in any way except being a alumn and supporter. They are my family though and am #### proud of that.

Another thought is to never hold yourself back as to what you want to accomplish, its all up to how much work you want to put in. If being a soloist is your goal then do eveything to be the best you can be. I know Chris Metzger (the Scouts soprano soloist in the mid 70's) didn't get there on talent alone. He worked his ### off as much or more than anyone in the corps.