Use of Copyrighted Materials on DCP

JohnD

It has come to my attention that copyrighted materials are being copied and distributed on DCP - primarily news stories from other sources/sites and sometimes in their entirety. This practice may not continue - as it represents a clear violation of federal Copyright Law and an infringement on the owner's copyright. DCP Partners does NOT subscribe to The Associated Press, Reuters, or any of the other news services - so we have no rights to publication of these materials on our site.

We will permit our members to quote a SMALL introductory snippet from an article - which MUST be accompanied by a link to the full article at the original site. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material and provides the copyright owner with the result of their intent - bringing readers to their site. There is no magic number of words or lines of material that may be used (according to the US Copyright Office), as the distinction between 'fair use' and a copyright infringement is difficult to define. Therefore, we will ask our users to limit their 'snippet' to only a few sentances and will reserve the right to remove those 'snippets' and posts that we feel exceed a 'reasonable standard'. The Copyright Office also confirms that simply acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material is NOT a substitute for obtaining permission from the copyright holder for use.

Posts that violate this policy will be removed by our moderation staff and the issue dealt with as a violation of the Community Guidelines. The potential legal exposure for this site is significant - so we must insist on your strict compliance.

Please remember - we're simply asking that you comply with the copyright law and use links to 'include' others' content in your posts .... rather than copying the material onto our forums. If you have questions about the use of the "Add Hyperlink" feature - please contact a member of the Forum Support Team.

Thank you for your support.

-john

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that include Drum Corp things from other sites? Does it include ALL drum Corps news?(except what the DCP news officials report?). I am confused. Does DCE when reporting, have the same rules? That would be hard to get news. Please let us know.

Boy, it is hard to be an editor and a poster. What is the next rule? I know the Mods can't do it all. But I think it comes down in the end, it is all over for the sake of it. What can a poster do? It is like reading the Tax codes. Hire a Mod to see if you can post? I give up. People just take a few weeks to read the rules, contact a lawyer, then post. Or you could say what you think. Just remember that, that may not be accepted. Good luck.

Here are some general things to keep in-mind:

- You should ALWAYS assume that any material you find on another site is covered by a copyright - so the content/material should not be posted on the DCP forums. Following the guidelines that I set forth above are the only way we'll permit this information to be shared on the site.

- The 'rules' on the editorial/news side of the site are the same - but most of the time, we receive content and information under different conditions. When an organization provides us with a news or press release they've written - the permission to publish that information goes along with it.

- We also have reciprocal syndication agreements with other sites that permit them to use 'snippets' of our content - and us theirs. These news feed exchanges provide the copyright permissions necessary for our news site - however, there are strict guidelines for their use.

Yes, copyright law is complex and is very easy to mis-understand. However, that's not a valid excuse for infringement and we are bound by the law-of-the-land. If you follow our instructions and guidelines for posting on this site - we'll be just fine.

Thank you.

-john

You should ALWAYS assume that any material you find on another site is covered by a copyright

Do you really want to do that? We could cut half the people off here for violations. I would not even want to go there. See how silly this all gets?

What's unclear about the definition of fair use being used here? Copy a snippet and a link and you're fine. It's very simple.

Do you really want to do that? We could cut half the people off here for violations. I would not even want to go there. See how silly this all gets?

We'll find a way, though I don't think it will present many problems. If you have any questions about posting articles/links in the forums you do have access to, let us know. We'll be more than happy to "go there" anytime you need it.

and not doing so sets DCP up for copyright infringement lawsuits. which would be the end of DCP.

so while you might think these rules are silly, some of us see them as preemptory and erring on the side of caution. something that will give many years to this site for current and future drum corps marchers and fans.

in the end isn't that what is important? having to take an extra minute to refine an article from another site down to a quote and put a link in it isn't asking that much of people.

How do you know if it is copywritten or not? Are all articles marked? Or would it be safer to just post links?

How do you know if it is copywritten or not? Are all articles marked? Or would it be safer to just post links?

from a few posts above yours...

Here are some general things to keep in-mind:

- You should ALWAYS assume that any material you find on another site is covered by a copyright - so the content/material should not be posted on the DCP forums. Following the guidelines that I set forth above are the only way we'll permit this information to be shared on the site.

/snip

(from previous post)

We will permit our members to quote a SMALL introductory snippet from an article - which MUST be accompanied by a link to the full article at the original site.

/snip

Yes, copyright law is complex and is very easy to mis-understand. However, that's not a valid excuse for infringement and we are bound by the law-of-the-land. If you follow our instructions and guidelines for posting on this site - we'll be just fine.

Thank you.

-john

What's unclear about the definition of fair use being used here? Copy a snippet and a link and you're fine. It's very simple.

if that still doesn't answer your question, then, um, i dunno.