JohnD

Just do what Frank does....

He just creates a hyperlink with the word "story"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know if it is copywritten or not? Are all articles marked? Or would it be safer to just post links?

In general, something is copyrighted from the instant it is put into tangible form. From the minute something is written down on paper, recorded on tape, or posted on a webpage, it is copyrighted. It is automatic and does not need extra effort to be secured.

here's a rule of thumb I'd use.... if you have to question it, assume that it's copyrighted and that you should use the appropriate measures when quoting it.

In general, something is copyrighted from the instant it is put into tangible form. From the minute something is written down on paper, recorded on tape, or posted on a webpage, it is copyrighted. It is automatic and does not need extra effort to be secured.

Interesting, I did not know that.

I kinda sorta have a problem with that statement. You might explain where this info comes from if you would. PLEASE?

I kinda sorta have a problem with that statement. You might explain where this info comes from if you would. PLEASE?

For those that are interested in a Copyright 'primer' - its best to go to the source .... the US Copyright Office. While this single page does not answer all questions or address all of the nuances of US Copyright Law - it does provide a pretty good foundation for the basics.

You'll find that what Tristan noted above is correct. A couple of quotes from the page above substantiate that:

Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.
Copyright protects “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device.
No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. ..... Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. “Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm.

It makes for interesting reading.

Enjoy.

-john

For those that are interested in a Copyright 'primer' - its best to go to the source .... the US Copyright Office. While this single page does not answer all questions or address all of the nuances of US Copyright Law - it does provide a pretty good foundation for the basics.

You'll find that what Tristan noted above is correct. A couple of quotes from the page above substantiate that:

It makes for interesting reading.

Enjoy.

-john

WOW!!!! That is very interesting. So actually quoting a post in here would be an infringement ?

As has been said multiple times in this thread, no. Using a small part of something else as a quote, as long as it also has an attribution (i.e., a link to the source), is fine under the definition of fair use.

As has been said multiple times in this thread, no. Using a small part of something else as a quote, as long as it also has an attribution (i.e., a link to the source), is fine under the definition of fair use.

What Works Are Protected?

Copyright protects “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

literary works;

musical works, including any accompanying words

dramatic works, including any accompanying music

pantomimes and choreographic works

pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works

motion pictures and other audiovisual works

sound recordings

architectural works

Sounds like anything you write is protected. Oops, And I just qouted you too. Now that was the entire post and not a snippet.

This is not difficult. Don't quote whole-cloth stuff from other sources, and don't quote anything from outside DCP without attribution.