Use of Copyrighted Materials on DCP

JohnD

As has been said multiple times in this thread, no. Using a small part of something else as a quote, as long as it also has an attribution (i.e., a link to the source), is fine under the definition of fair use.

it's not all that hard to do either.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!! That is very interesting. So actually quoting a post in here would be an infringement ?

That was my thoughts also since they would have to PM the poster to get permission to quote them. In theory copyright laws are good, in practicality, they are a mess because what percent of a quote would be considered acceptable for use?

BTW, can I quote you Jim?? :P

Edited by sburstall

That was my thoughts also since they would have to PM the poster to get permission to quote them. In theory copyright laws are good, in practicality, they are a mess because what percent of a quote would be considered acceptable for use?

BTW, can I quote you Jim?? :P

Feel free to do so. :)

i would assume that the use of the quote feature, which attributes the originator of the written material and includes a link back to where the post was originally found (that little red triangle is a hot link that takes you directly to the post), it's safe.

seriously, guys. it's not that hard. i've taught elementary age kids who would hear the directions "quote only a small phrase and then include the link" that wouldn't have any questions about that, because it's fairly simple.

seriously, guys. it's not that hard. i've taught elementary age kids who would hear the directions "quote only a small phrase and then include the link" that wouldn't have any questions about that, because it's fairly simple.

"This is so simple a 5 year old child could understand it"

(pause 2 seconds)

"Go get me a 5 year old child, I can't make heads or tails out of it".

Groucho Marx in "Duck Soup"

:P

"This is so simple a 5 year old child could understand it"

(pause 2 seconds)

"Go get me a 5 year old child, I can't make heads or tails out of it".

Groucho Marx in "Duck Soup"

:P

I love Groucho. What a quick wit. I did not say twit. Just to let people know. My favorite was Horse Feathers. :)

The policy has been outlined, clearly.

Topic Closed.