Wow!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent in another suggestion: a modern, Cadets-style look at The Wizard of Oz. They could keep it similar in feel to the last couple of years, and include modern Oz references such as Elton John's Yellow Brick Road (ballad?) and Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon. There would be tons of room for creative costumes and staging (including, of course, a yellow brick road on the field). Basically, a Cadets take on it--NOT a traditional re-tread. I also suggested that they place it in a modern setting (sorry--no animal outfits!) with modern archetypes used for the main characters, etc.

Edited by year1buick

I sent in another suggestion: a modern, Cadets-style look at The Wizard of Oz. They could keep it similar in feel to the last couple of years, and include modern Oz references such as Elton John's Yellow Brick Road (ballad?) and Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon. There would be tons of room for creative costumes and staging (including, of course, a yellow brick road on the field). Basically, a Cadets take on it--NOT a traditional re-tread. I also suggested that they place it in a modern setting (sorry--no animal outfits!) with modern archetypes used for the main characters, etc.

I would add they could use Wicked, the musical, for source music and storyline. I actually emailed Hop months ago suggesting this. I think this could potentially be great on the field.

I would submit my idea...but we have already started arranging it for our show this year. ^0^ I would LOVE to see the Cadets take on it though...they would be just the corps to do it.

:sshh:

Note the date of my original post. Official announcement to come soon.

:lol:

So for some reason...at 4 in the morning last night...i felt like sending this one in:

Hello Mr. Hopkins.

My idea? I believe with all the "artistic" directions that many Drum Corps have taken, its time for something DCI has been lacking. Comedy.

While the recent Velvet Knight return is a nice addition to DCI, the humor of that once great organization has been missing for too long.

I think, The Cadets should take a look back at themselves, and laugh.

Think "A History of The Cadets". You prepare the audience for a serious look back at the history of one of the oldest groups around, and then blow them away with satire.

Take a look at old music, old styles, the fact that the uniform just wont change!, look at symetrical drill, the changes in horn instruments (old bugles duct taped together?), change the drums, marching the pit, high mark-time, the guard using old uniforms and then sequins and then today's guard costumes, use a door, use stages, sing the drum parts, play patriotic music, play broadway and disney! The possibilities are endless....as long as you poke fun at it ALL....

You could do an entertaining show of the history of drum corps, all while entertaining long time fans by making fun of their favorite shows....

Just an idea to start off the show:

Have a door placed in the center of the field (sounds familiar no? hehe). Announce "The future of drum corps!"

Have a few members bust through with woodwind instruments, set up a marching block and breath in deeply (getting ready to play). Just as the audience begins to panic, you pause, and decided "Maybe thats a bad idea?" And proceed to go through the past and present.

My opinion, we all need to lighten up and remember, its all fun....

End of Email.

I think this could be both educational (if done right kids will learn where drum corps comes from) and hilarious (for those who have watched corps for decades)....

As long as we leave the Giant Godzilla out of it I think the cadets could pull it off greatly...

I sent a simular one in the other day. A best of the best with old school style, only serious. Guns shot to start and end. Guard in skirts and boots, marching tymps, just to name a few. The marching would be the same as they did during the old years when they did the tunes only more difficult to be able to compete on the same level, since we don't have ticks now. I think as soon as the audience heard the first gun shot, they would give a standing Ovation. JMHO. :lol:

Our marching band did that about 7 years ago.

I sent a simular one in the other day. A best of the best with old school style, only serious. Guns shot to start and end. Guard in skirts and boots, marching tymps, just to name a few. The marching would be the same as they did during the old years when they did the tunes only more difficult to be able to compete on the same level, since we don't have ticks now. I think as soon as the audience heard the first gun shot, they would give a standing Ovation. JMHO. :laugh:

I don't think the majority of fans in the stands at most contests today would have any idea what the gun was for ...

As for marching timps, where they gonna find someone who wants to carry 'em? LOL

"Wicked" is the best idea I've heard so far. I would love for any top-twelve caliber corps to do a whole show of that music. It's got such great potential. Are corps today just afraid to do straight-ahead versions of musicals for some reason or what?

I don't think the majority of fans in the stands at most contests today would have any idea what the gun was for ...

As for marching timps, where they gonna find someone who wants to carry 'em? LOL

"Wicked" is the best idea I've heard so far. I would love for any top-twelve caliber corps to do a whole show of that music. It's got such great potential. Are corps today just afraid to do straight-ahead versions of musicals for some reason or what?

Perhaps. But Most of the fans in the stands are my age or from people my age and would know right away. And finding people to march tymps is easy. Hey....YOU>>> Do you want to march? Carry this then. Done. LOL. Hey, Orpheus, I know it would be odd. But it would work. Can you imagine the news of old school show by Cadets being out, and not a flood of people going to look? Shoot, Old schoolers that have not been to a show in years would be there. Never mind all the newbies. :)