Madison Scouts announce 2007 design team

Do you think going from last years staff to this years is a step up or down ?

Short term, it might appear to be a step down, mainly because of the mercenary nature of modern DCI members. Longer term, this will be a good thing. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year Madison had a great staff. The show had a lot of potential. While much of it was achieved, overall, the show didn't click and the full potential wasn't realized (for whatever reasons).

While I don't know for sure, I got the feeling that this very talented staff didn't click or gel; that perhaps they didn't all have the same vision for the corps.

Therefore this new staff might work out better in the long run if they truely share the same vision for the corps and work togehter as a UNIT better than last years very talented group of INDIVIDUALS.

Last year Madison had a great staff. The show had a lot of potential. While much of it was achieved, overall, the show didn't click and the full potential wasn't realized (for whatever reasons).

While I don't know for sure, I got the feeling that this very talented staff didn't click or gel; that perhaps they didn't all have the same vision for the corps.

Therefore this new staff might work out better in the long run if they truely share the same vision for the corps and work togehter as a UNIT better than last years very talented group of INDIVIDUALS.

Nicely Put.

• 2 weeks later...
It is amazing that i get labelled as a troll while the people on here have belittled the staff that brought the corps from out of finals to the success thay have experienced. It appears for the most part they have returned to pre success levels with in the staff. Was Scott Stewart not available?

Also i am suprised people have not complained about comments like true allumni. I would bet Boerma, Weymeyer, Salas would be very suprised that they were not true allumni. I guess they thought out side the box and have been shunned.

I have enjoyed the Scouts for many years but I think some mistakes have been made with the elimination of people who were advancing you. I guess we will know in August...maybe in June.

I don't think you are a troll. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I do think you need to work on your spelling, however. Alumni (not allumni), ecstatic (not extatic), labeled (not labelled) and lose (not loose) are a few examples. OK, OK . . . the last one wasn't you.

I marched with the Scouts in the late 90's. When Scott left, I was devastated. Since his departure, with the exception of 2005, I have been disappointed by the shows.

I'm thrilled to have Matt Gregg, Chad Duggan, Jon Schipper and Taras Nahirniak on the staff. I'm very sad to see Scott Boerma go, just as I was sad to see Van Mathews leave.

I'm optimistic that the Scouts will be one of the most entertaining corps in the years to come. I guess time will tell.

-Ted

I am sorry I don't understand what some people mean by the tradition of the Scouts. New Uniforms? last I checked Madison had many different uniforms before the mid 90's and late 80's. Which corps tradition or identity are talking about? The fact that Sal had gotten the corps new pit equipment for the first time in over ten years when other corps' have, or is it that he made sure the guys were eating properly by gettin the corps its first full size food truck. Or could it be the fact they were even wwearing new uniforms for the first time in 0 years not design change but simoly new pants and coats. I would have to think that the board would have to wpprove of the uniform changes as well. Could it be that Sal moved the corps from practicing on a parking lot to sleeping and practicing at UW whitewater. See to me he did an excelent job in protecting the brotherhood. So Sal had decided to step away from latin jazz and try to do something out of the corps' recent identity. that to me is being inovative.

Now I do wish the staff well and hope they continue on what has been establshed by Sal and keep some of the great ideas of Scott during the early to middle part of his tenure. But at the same time bring in their own great ideas.

Shannon

Ok, you're assuming an awfully lot here that isn't quite yours to assume. Having marched under Scott AND worked for Sal, I can honestly say that:

1) These guys eat no better or no worse than we did when I marched...food truck or not.

2) We practiced on a pre-marked asphalt parking lot at MATC which provided plenty of room to do "our thing" completely uninterrupted. We also stayed in dorms 2 blocks from Camp Randall. I personally stayed with the assistant athletic director at UW-Madison...in a gorgeous house with the lake in the back yard. We frequently took the boat out on the lake when we had the chance. Do you realize that the Scouts are no longer allowed to stay in Madison?!?! None of the schools in town are allowed to let us stay there. When the corps comes back to Madison for a home show, they have to stay somewhere out of town. I'm not pointing fingers and I don't believe the corps was directly to blame for that, but that never happened when Scott was there either.

3) As far as the corps history goes, you're woefully under-informed. What makes you assume that "latin jazz" is the corps' identity?? The Scouts did a trilogy of latin shows in the mid 90's, but that's the only latin show for the rest of that decade. 3 years out of 10 does not mean that's all they do. In fact, it's an extremely SMALL portion of the entire corps musical history!! Come back with some fact to back up your statements if you want to be taken seriously.

but thanks for playin! :D

Edited by BigBadMadMan