Capital Sound will not compete in Pasadena...

The following was released this morning.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Madison, Wis., October 29, 2006—After careful consideration and review of logistics and finances, Capital Sound Drum & Bugle Corps has decided to bypass the 2007 DCI Championships in Pasadena. As an alternative, the corps plans an extensive schedule of competitions in DCI’s Central Division, as well as performances throughout the Wisconsin and Illinois region.

“It is a fiscally prudent decision that will keep the corps strong for 2007 and beyond,” Gofstein said. “I was aware of this when I took the directorship, and it’s a choice I completely support.”

Gofstein discussed the process that took place. “Our board of directors deliberated long and hard,” he continued. “We ended the 2006 season in good organizational shape. However, we concluded that, if we wanted to continue strengthening the corps, we had to sacrifice this trip. There has been some mild disappointment expressed by our current members, but they also understand and support the decision.”

Instead, 2007 is viewed as an opportunity to solidify its organization and membership, and interest in the corps is tremendous despite the decision, Gofstein added. Applications and inquiries have come from all over the United States, including the strong marching band areas in California, Florida, Ohio, and Texas.

The corps will be conducting an Open House for the 2007 season on Saturday, November 11, in Madison.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure it's always a difficult decision to make whether to compete or not. but i'm glad capital sound made the decision to compete but just not at championships. i'm sure other corps have thought of this option but i wish more would choose this direction instead of taking a year off. not to say that capital sound is in bad shape or anything

no in fact quite the opposite...this is definately going to be one fun year, and there are a lot of performances on the schedule both shows and others.

but i do agree that some corps (in all Divisions) should consider doing the limited tour instead of taking a year off whenever the option is in question.

Sounds like a very smart move to me. Why risk a corps' long term financial future just for one show? A very responsible decision.

I know folks from all levels in this organization and they've had a history both in and out of the madison umbrella of making wise decisions both financially and programatically.

And guess what....they are all genuinely nice people! Even Dave Peterson. I know you read this stuff.

Go grant writing technical writing guru...you go.

Q-dawg is in the Big O now?

I do what I can with what I got Tom.

Quinn is definitely in the Big Easy. Evidently having a nice time too.

IL misses you guys.