Capital Sound will not compete in Pasadena...

When Dutch Boy pulled out of DCI championships in Florida a few years back, we were working hard all year with the hope of going. The final decision wasn't actually made until sometime in May, if I remember correctly. Up until then the corps was doing what it could to get there, but the full financial outlook wasn't known until that late date. Sometimes you just can't forecast everything. Life doesn't always unfold according to an accounting textbook.

Cap Sound's decision to skip DCI so they can continue to compete in the years coming is a good and wise decision for the organization. I'm sorry we won't see them in Pasedena, but it's just one show out of an entire season.

Cheers and good luck Cap Sound!

Jim

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let us also realize that this is not the only group doing this...Capital Regiment and Magic (announced today) are also not going to finals. Kiwanis is working at making it happen, but with a new move and everything else, their status seems uncertain...also what about Esperanza?? people from within the organization were posting on here about uncertainties (something about paying last year's staff) and I have heard the percussion staff have all but left (most have). It seems that overall 2007 is a rebuilding year for a lot of corps, div I included so without understanding the entire workings of the behind the scenes decisions, how are any of us to judge or comment?

edit: well apparently I stand corrected updated about Espy: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...showtopic=88611

I got in touch with Alan Cox at Esperanza yesterday. They *are* fielding a corps, and updated info on the web site about the where / when and all of that should be up shortly.

Gracias,

Mike

Edited by corps fan

Cap Sound's decision to skip DCI so they can continue to compete in the years coming is a good and wise decision for the organization. I'm sorry we won't see them in Pasedena, but it's just one show out of an entire season.

Cheers and good luck Cap Sound!

Jim

I agree 100%. If you look back to the history of DCI Championships, particularly in the 1970's, there were alot of corps that did not attend Championships due to either financial constraints or recruiting concerns.

My corps (L.I. Kingsmen) were one of only a handful of east coast corps to go to Whitewater in both 1972 and 1973. The manangement made the decision in 1974 to not attend DCI, even though it was in our home state, but instead attended the American Legion Nationals in Miami. The reasoning was that we would place alot better at A.L. than at DCI and it would help with the local community, both financially and in recruiting. Know what? It worked! All the locals read in the newspapers that we had gone to a "National Championship" in Florida and placed third. The attention we received was amazing, and we more than doubled our membership the following year. We also chose, due to the expense, to not go to Denver in 1977 and 1978, but still made Open Class (Div. I) membership status in 1979 (21st) and 1980 (16th).

I think it is going to be an interesting year overall for EVERY single person involved in drum corps at every level and capacity. I look forward to the summer with the same excitelent and vigor every year, no matter what the situation with the corps is. For me it's all about that amazing feeling of coming off the field to the crowd screaming for you because you just put your heart and soul into your show. Thats why I do drum corps. Even in the summer following the "rebirth" I put every ounce of myself into every show, even if the crowd was small or wasn't there to see my corps. I was determined to show them what capital sound (and myself) was made of. Thats what I think some people have lost sight of. It's not about where you are preforming. I've done shows where there were no bleachers and some shows on the backsides of baseball fields. It's about the show, the crowd, the corps, and the passion that flows when they all become one.