Capital Sound will not compete in Pasadena...

Can't believe we never thought of this idea.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem...Mysti"k"al gets misspelled all the time :)

Hmmm ... I got that one right once ....

This is sad news. :(

Does this mean I have to go to Pasedena next year if I want to see Mystikal?

Okay. I'm game.

... of course, then I spelled "Pas'a'dena" wrong.

Oh well, ... you win some, you lose some ... :doh:

... never said I could spell.

I'm sorry to hear you won't be in Pasedena. I am glad to hear the organization is making wise financial decisions to keep the organization on the field and viable. I'd much rather see decisions like this than see another corps disappear.

I'm sorry to hear you won't be in Pasedena. I am glad to hear the organization is making wise financial decisions to keep the organization on the field and viable. I'd much rather see decisions like this than see another corps disappear.

I'm with you on that one.

Being real.

Bottom line is getting out there on the field ... being in the show ... any show, any field, any where ...

... and the real drum corps fans will come to you,

... and you will know they are coming not to see some "grand-uber finals,"

... but to see you.

See you next summer, Capital Sound.

Let me edit my statement so I don't offend anyone seeing as I guess you can't express your own opinions

Not surprised to see any midwest or east coast corps decide to not go to Pasadena, especially seeing as Finals will be in Indy for the next few centuries afterwards. Definately the right call. I'm sure they'll still have a great tour anyway.
Edited by mr fabulous

What kills me about this statement is that the Drums Corps on the West Coast have been travling back east for years now to compete in shows along the way and in finals, but the midwest and east coast corps can't find the money to travel out here, we do it every year. You have known for over a year now that finals will be in California and couldn't start early and do fund raising??? <**>

Mr. Fabulous...I am putting here what I posted in another forum posting...I hope this answers your concerns, since you obviously couldn't simply ask a question without adding the little smiley jab ( <**> )

I appreciate the subject of this post, and I feel compelled to elaborate on Capital Sound's decision, and the reasons for both our decision, and the timing of our announcement.

As most folks know, Capital Sound was originally a part of the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association (MDBCA). From 1995-2003, the corps functioned as a strong D-II corps, and the MDBCA made sure the corps was a strong member of the drum corps community. However, in December of 2003, MDBCA made the decision to discontinue its sponsorship of Capital Sound and the corps was disbanded. The corps parents from Capital Sound reacted immediately by re-establishing the group and forming an independent 501c3 non profit organization...and, Capital Sound has continued since then.

The corps went from being a fully supported organization under Madison's umbrella, to one having to suddenly raise money as an individual organization, with very little in the way of assets, and only a handful of folks to run the operation. The main focus for the past two seasons has been to stabilize and grow the corps, while strengthening the Board of Directors and the fundraising operation...all of which have been transpiring quite successfully.

Capital Sound finished the 2006 season in strong shape - finishing 9th at D-III semifinals, and financially in the Black (and, no I won't go into details). The Board of Directors then reviewed the logistics and details on what going to California would entail. It would have been easy to make the decision to go (and, since I'm from California, I really wanted to take a corps back to my birthplace)...however, the reality was that it would have been too draining on the corps in every way, and could have resulted in corps "taking a year off," which is a less painful way of saying we fold.

Yes, California has been on the table for a while...and, everyone has known about it. However, stabilizing the corps and making it a functioning organization has been the focus for the past two years. With that being accomplished, only then was it appropriate to review going to California, because we didn't want to put the cart before the horse.

As for the timing of the announcement, this is when we chose to make it to the universe. However, we dealt with it internally way before we announced it.

I'm proud that there was serious thought put into our decision, and that we weighed all possibilities before making our final decision. Capital Sound will have a successful 2007, in-spite of not competing in California. And, we are working to build on the successes of the past two seasons, and develop a strong, entertaining product that will be around for many years to come.

I hope that answers your questions...