I think that Phantom Regiment's Faust show might be the best show

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they didn't spell everything out...not even close. it was a show for those who demanded more than a big sign over faust that said "this is faust, he's the good guy"

Compared to the numerous dramatic and literary treatments of the story over the centuries, it was a "Faust" that didn't come within a mile of scratching the moral and theological complexities of the story.

That's not a knock on the design team except so far as to state that the nature of drum and bugle corps precludes serious storytelling, since the real interest of a story isn't in the surface details but in the meaning of the thing - none of which can be touched on a football field. Don't get me wrong, I liked the musical selections, for the most part, but the dramatic/thematic elements weren't effective, imho.

Edited by mobrien

I said it before and I will say it again.... If you do not like this show, you must be a fan of suckiness.

PR 2006 was one of the best shows (entire package) to ever hit the field.

Nope.

Out of curiousity, has "tivoed" found its way into the dictionary yet? :)

i see them as a more intellectual corps than any other.

I'll go with one syllable at a time to give more emphasis.

Ab

so

lute

ly

not.

As far as being an "intellectual corps" or performing "intellectual shows" or whatever like that, I'd put them in the bottom 15% at best of all drum corps. No way.

I liked the musical selections, for the most part, but the dramatic/thematic elements weren't effective, imho.

Agreed. I like the show, but all of the acting and whatnot was ineffective and vaguely presented. Saying that they "told a story" is a huge overstatement. It was more like they took every other chapter of a story (maybe one of every 5?) and threw them in your face.

Oh, and the more I listen to recordings from the season, the less fathomable it is to me that they got 2nd place in brass. I would have put them in 3rd or 4th. Stickout problems were as prominent as ever, and random sections of the hornline (lower trumpets, notably) ruined most of the big chord moments for me. Also unfortunate for them that they saved their worst brass performance of the show for the last three or four chords of the show, ESPECIALLY the one right before the final halt. All you can hear is a few tired lead trumpets and euphs holding on and putting as much sound as they can through the bell. If I ever wanted to explain to an "outsider" what the meaning of "dropping a phrase" is, I would play that chord for them; directly after the final ascending half notes, it sounds like less than ten people out of the 6327426 hornline members they had last year were playing. Pretty much everything after the '03 mello ending reprise thing sounds horrible....most of the hornline is backing up, and both look (seriously) and sound like they should have ended the show a minute or two before. 10:57-11:02 in my finals recording is literally a sub-top 12 brass moment. I'd even say sub-top 17, because corps like the Seattle Cascades (pre-06 though), Cap Reg, Crossmen, etc. don't even come close to having that many people drop out musically. Seriously, listen to it from a perspective NOT of a gawking, ignorantly blissful, emotionally gushing fan. You'll hear plenty of moments that'll seriously shock you. Sorry, guys.

They sounded alright up until the closer though, I guess. Not 2nd place, in my opinion, but not horrifically awful either.

I give them credit for moving a lot this year and having a much more challenging visual program than the Cavies and BD, but there's some things you just can't excuse.

For the record, to insert a random positive, 7:34 to 7:36 (right before a few fans yell "SUTA"), at the 12 count hold in the four diamonds is one of my favorite brass moments of the year.

I do like the show, but if people can make up a whole thread talking about how wonderful and legendary and timeless the show was, I feel entitled to hopefully make at least a few people aware of some things that were actually going on in Camp Randall Stadium that night, which somehow led to judges saying they had the second-best hornline in the world. Challenging scoring is certainly nothing new to DCP, and I might as well add my first complaint of the year in the "Phantom '06 is the best show of all time" thread. For those of you who will surely fervently disagree because DCP doesn't really take too kindly to people "badmouthing" Phantom, know that within the DCI world, there's probably almost as many people who feel like I do. Hope you enjoyed.

Ab

so

lute

ly

not.

As far as being an "intellectual corps" or performing "intellectual shows" or whatever like that, I'd put them in the bottom 15% at best of all drum corps. No way.

Agreed. I like the show, but all of the acting and whatnot was ineffective and vaguely presented. Saying that they "told a story" is a huge overstatement. It was more like they took every other chapter of a story (maybe one of every 5?) and threw them in your face.

Oh, and the more I listen to recordings from the season, the less fathomable it is to me that they got 2nd place in brass. I would have put them in 3rd or 4th. Stickout problems were as prominent as ever, and random sections of the hornline (lower trumpets, notably) ruined most of the big chord moments for me. Also unfortunate for them that they saved their worst brass performance of the show for the last three or four chords of the show, ESPECIALLY the one right before the final halt. All you can hear is a few tired lead trumpets and euphs holding on and putting as much sound as they can through the bell. If I ever wanted to explain to an "outsider" what the meaning of "dropping a phrase" is, I would play that chord for them; directly after the final ascending half notes, it sounds like less than ten people out of the 6327426 hornline members they had last year were playing. Pretty much everything after the '03 mello ending reprise thing sounds horrible....most of the hornline is backing up, and both look (seriously) and sound like they should have ended the show a minute or two before. 10:57-11:02 in my finals recording is literally a sub-top 12 brass moment. I'd even say sub-top 17, because corps like the Seattle Cascades (pre-06 though), Cap Reg, Crossmen, etc. don't even come close to having that many people drop out musically. Seriously, listen to it from a perspective NOT of a gawking, ignorantly blissful, emotionally gushing fan. You'll hear plenty of moments that'll seriously shock you. Sorry, guys.

They sounded alright up until the closer though, I guess. Not 2nd place, in my opinion, but not horrifically awful either.

I give them credit for moving a lot this year and having a much more challenging visual program than the Cavies and BD, but there's some things you just can't excuse.

For the record, to insert a random positive, 7:34 to 7:36 (right before a few fans yell "SUTA"), at the 12 count hold in the four diamonds is one of my favorite brass moments of the year.

I do like the show, but if people can make up a whole thread talking about how wonderful and legendary and timeless the show was, I feel entitled to hopefully make at least a few people aware of some things that were actually going on in Camp Randall Stadium that night, which somehow led to judges saying they had the second-best hornline in the world. Challenging scoring is certainly nothing new to DCP, and I might as well add my first complaint of the year in the "Phantom '06 is the best show of all time" thread. For those of you who will surely fervently disagree because DCP doesn't really take too kindly to people "badmouthing" Phantom, know that within the DCI world, there's probably almost as many people who feel like I do. Hope you enjoyed.

:laugh: w/Stp:

Ab

so

lute

ly

not.

you must be a fan of suckiness.