That did not go so well.

I had a similar experience in the past. After marching 2 seasons at a very successful D2 corps I figured I would go audition for a few top 12 corps for my age-out. I went to an audition camp, got nervous as hell, butchered my piece and was essentially immediately dismissed. From my perspective, all that mattered to the staff at this corps was how well you played your 30 second audition piece. I felt that once I received my '3' I no longer had any business trying to make this corps. I was so discouraged I cancelled all my plans to audition anywhere else; figuring I would get nervous again, blow the audition, and that would be the end of that.

I was no slouch going into this thing either, despite the fact that I'm a sax player by trade, I was a very solid baritone player and I practiced the hell out of my audition piece. At my previous corps, I was known as one of the best all around members of the corps, regarding music, visual and especially attitude. I was told by multiple staff members I could make most any corps I wanted to. Unfortunately, I got such a negative impression of what Division 1 was all about that I had no desire to make it happen. Besides, I had no qualms about returning to my Div 2 corps. It was frustrating though, knowing that I knew how to 'be good at drum corps' (albeit division 1 is a different world, from what I hear), but because of my nerves I wasn't given a legitimate shot to prove what an asset I could have been to any corps.

This story does have a happy ending, however, as I returned to my beloved D2 corps and had an incredible age-out season that I would never trade for anything.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it sounds like you didn't really want to make the div 1 corps. Seems like you thought you did, but that it wasn't for you (which is cool, because it is very different than div 2/3). No one is going to lie and say that the playing audition isn't huge, the point is that how well you play is not the only factor - however, you have to meet at least a minimum standard for it to play in.

Also, div 1 corps auditions are kind of like a curve in school - sometimes the curve is higher because more talented people come out. Thus, the performance that would have normally gotten you a spot will not be quite good enough.

For anyone who was there at the SCV audition, do you remember what the point system on the evaluation sheet looked like? I know it went something like this:

Ready for vanguard (certain amount of points needed)

Needs to show improvement,invited back to December camp (certain amount of points need)

Ready for cadet corps ( " ")

How many points did we need for "Ready for Vanguard?" I can't seem to recall.

Thank you much.

Edited by rdbc05

I think it went

Tone-50

Technique-25

Musicality-15

Something was 10.

The final assessment thing wasn't a set amount of points.

It said

46 Ready for SCV

47 With work ready for SCV

48 Ready for SCVC

Edited by OboeBrad

Yeah, Nicholas Williams sent me a email today.

---

Hi Brad.

Thank you for your participation in the Vanguard Audition camp. While

we saw talent in your abilities, we believe that you would be better

suited for the experience level of the Vanguard Cadet Corps.

We encourage you to continue your audition with the Cadet Corps. The

Cadet Corps will provide you with the opportunity to receive valuable

experience and training, and you will be able to continue to be a part of

the Vanguard Organization. This year, the Cadet Corps will be

participating in the National DCI tour and will perform at DCI’s Division

II/III Championships in Pasadena, California.

Whether you choose to pursue an opportunity with the Cadet Corps or

not, we are honored that you chose to participate in our Audition Camp and

we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Jeff Pearson

Vanguard Director

Nicholas Williams

SCV Brass Caption Manager

Nicholas Williams

Assistant Director of Wind Studies/

Director of the Green Brigade Marching Band

University of North Texas

www.music.unt.edu/windstudies

Brass Caption Head, Santa Clara Vanguard

Santa Clara, CA

www.scvanguard.org

---

Good for you Brad! Congratulations and thanks for sharing that.

Hey, maybe you should document your story as you go along, sort of like a "success" story in the making. :)

We told you attitude meant alot! :blink::beer:

SCV, what a CLASSY organization. :beer:

Edited by Lancerlady

Good for you Brad! Congratulations and thanks for sharing that.

Hey, maybe you should document your story as you go along, sort of like a "success" story in the making. :)

We told you attitude meant alot! :blink::beer:

SCV, what a CLASSY organization. :beer:

Don't take this wrong; I'm just confused. Why are you congratulating the kid on getting cut? I think it's cool they want him for VC, but having gone through the experience a few times myself, it doesn't seem like I'd be saying "good for you, congrats".

I hope he takes the opportunity to try out somewhere else, or if it's right, continues to VC. I think it's courageous to show everyone that. I saw the letter, and my heart sank with common empathy.

For what it's worth, I got cut by groups that didn't finish as high as the group I caught on with. Hang in there kid.

Don't take this wrong; I'm just confused. Why are you congratulating the kid on getting cut? I think it's cool they want him for VC, but having gone through the experience a few times myself, it doesn't seem like I'd be saying "good for you, congrats".

I hope he takes the opportunity to try out somewhere else, or if it's right, continues to VC. I think it's courageous to show everyone that. I saw the letter, and my heart sank with common empathy.

For what it's worth, I got cut by groups that didn't finish as high as the group I caught on with. Hang in there kid.

Oh I'm not taking what you're saying the wrong way and I hope he doesn't take what I'm saying the wrong way. Maybe I'm the one who is confused (wouldn't be the first time). :P

If I've been reading this thread right, he knew he didn't have a good try out and was at least hoping to make it in any of the Vanguard Cadets, either B or C. They have invited him to be involved with one of the other groups. He knows he has a long way to go (according to what he said). (Being a ww player trying out for the first time).

So yeah I think he has a great attitude about it over all. So I agree with you, it is courageous to show everyone that. But whether he goes to one of the SCV Cadet groups and learns more or decides to move on, I love this kids honesty. It's a very rare thing to find these days. :blink:

Edited by Lancerlady

congrats bro... I would be all over the oppurtunity to march with SCVC.

~>conner