Is Carolina Crown 2006 the best 8th place show ever?

Carolina Crown 2006  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Is Carolina Crown 2006 the best 8th place show ever?

• Yes
    • No

I don't know if I'd say it was the best 8th place show, but I would say that sometimes, the judges, like anyone, can make a mistake and in my opinion, they made one with the placement of Crown '06. At the very least, Crown was a 7th place corps in '06. If I had been a judge, I would have been embarrassed on finals night. If I were Dan Acheson, heads would roll. :sshh: It was a very blatant mistake in my opinion.

It was a great show, but it was an eighth place show. Your "blatant mistake" doesn't hold water. Their drumline was in 12th place with both drum judges. It wasn't a fluke; they had been beaten by BK before, and in Charlotte. Now to take nothing away from either BK or Crown, this wasn't some 4 spot ascendancy... you're talking about 7th to 8th and by a corps who had them a week before, too.

There is a reason GE < 100%.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great show, but it was an eighth place show. Your "blatant mistake" doesn't hold water. Their drumline was in 12th place with both drum judges. It wasn't a fluke; they had been beaten by BK before, and in Charlotte. Now to take nothing away from either BK or Crown, this wasn't some 4 spot ascendancy... you're talking about 7th to 8th and by a corps who had them a week before, too.

There is a reason GE < 100%.

With a tighter drumline playing a better written book (seriously...what was that?), they would have been sixth or higher for sure.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Sorry, I gotta go with '85 Phantom: Symphonie Fantastique

Lets not turn this into another 'Crown got screwed!' thread. I think they should have placed higher, much higher, but that topic has been discussed at nauseam. And it is off topic to this thread and always turns into a nasty debate. Out of respect to the members of Blue Knights and Crown, lets let it go, at least in this thread.

Was it the best 8th place show ever? I want to vote yes, but I can't ever vote for any show for 'best whatever place show ever'. There are just way to many great shows out there at every placement. Will Crown's 2006 show be one of those memorable shows that is discussed for several years to come? You betcha...and I wouldn't be surprised to see that show at DCI's Classic Countdown within the next few years.

Can't wait to see what they bring to the field in 2007!

Crown has a better overall ensemble sound (operative phrase: ensemble sound), but I definitely thought Blue Knights had the better brass performance overall finals night, and I'm pretty sure that's what counts. Visually they seemed about equal.

The judges put CC way ahead in brass..they were just a few tenths behind the cadets there..

We all know what held CC back..and I think they have addressed that.

interesting topic. IMO xmen 91 is one of their best ever shows but I wonder if it's better than PR92, even though PR92 is, imo, a long way from one of PR's best.

92 like 91 was a very strong year, and though the show may have been off finals night and not the package it might have been, my understanding is that PR still had a very strong corps that year.

If the two shows had been judged side by side it might have been interesting...but then with that mode of though I guess the most recent shows would always outscore comparative shows from yesteryear hence making CC 06 the winner in that sense?

Crown was great this past season. Personally, I find the appeal lies in the fact they explored music that pretty fresh on the field although the compsoer got exposed by SCV and SCVC in '03. Richard Dainelpour writes some great music and hopefully, we'll get to see more. Also the overall theme, which correct me if I'm wrong, was about taking a reflective walk(journey?). That is a fresh idea all on its own. As far as other 8th place shows go, Xmen '91 was a phenomenal show. But I really like Xmen '93 too. Its possibly one of the most underrated shows ever.

The judges put CC way ahead in brass..they were just a few tenths behind the cadets there..

We all know what held CC back..and I think they have addressed that.

Err...that's what I get for not looking at the recaps. :blink: