DCI Bonus Year

nezneau

24 members have voted

1. 1. DCI Bonus Year

• -yes
    • -no

"Should performers that have 'aged-out' of corps in North American be given a 'bonus year' to compete at DCI sanctioned events, to perform with Non-North American based groups ONLY?"

[Note: The original question did not actually post for some reason, so I have added it here]

The growth of drum corps internationally could be stimulated by allowing 1 'bonus' year for performers that have 'aged-out' of corps in North America to compete at DCI sanctioned events with Non-North American based groups.

In addition to possibly boosting the membership in corps internationally, this would also provide an excellent educational experience for those participating - exposure to new languages, cultures, ideology, etc.

It would also renforce the base of talent in these corps with many mature (technically and emotionally) performers, allowing them to become more competitive with North American based groups. This increased performance level would also be extremely beneficial in recruiting new members in their local areas.

Having traveled for the first time internationally with the Blue Devils, I have seen first hand the incredible educational impact that international travel with drum corps can have.

While it is difficult for many North American based groups to travel internationally, it is much easier for individual performers to do so - and this should be strongly encouraged. Encouraging this by allowing a bonus year for North American performers that wish to perform in Non-North American ensembles could be an excellent start.

Edited by nezneau

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dan!

I've enjoyed reading your posts these past couple of weeks but this doesn't make much sense to me.

Is the information containing the age limit restrictions in DCI somehow blocked from reaching people in Europe?

Do they age differently?

I don't see a legitimacy to exempting people just because they are from outside the North American continent. If they choose to participate, they have an equal opportunity to do so and should be expected to follow the same rules everyone else does.

IMO.

Stefanie

This might be a bit confusing as that the actual question of the poll was somehow disappeared when this posted (any admin that can help edit this?).

The original question:

"Should performers that have 'aged-out' of corps in North American be given a 'bonus year' to compete at DCI sanctioned events, to perform with Non-North American based groups ONLY?"

In more simple language... should Ameican or Candian performers that have 'aged-out' of corps in the US/Canada be given 1 extra year of eligibility to compete at DCI events ONLY if they are performing with a group from Europe, Japan or anywhere outside US/Canada?

The point of this is to get more performers with US/Canadian experience performing in corps overseas to boost the performance level and participation internationally.

I hope that is clearer.

It is somewhat clearer.. and quite a bit bigger, too.. thanks.

I still say no. Participating as an eligible member in DCI sanctioned events means doing it by DCI rules (that's why it's called a "sanctioned" event). I don't see any reason why a special rule should be enacted. It's not going to make the trip over any less expensive or any more fruitful. If they want to come and participate as a DCI Junior Corps in division I, II or III competition, then they need to meet the junior corps requirements.

I would not, however, have a problem with that rules relaxation being extended to the "international division" for which an international champion is crowned at DCI Finals when one is in attendance. (I think Taipei Yuehfu currently holds this title but I could be wrong.)

Stefanie

Edited by ScribeToo

Well this is ALREADY the case. If a corps competes in the International Division, they are allowed to follow the rules in their own country. Taiepi has marched 22 (23?) year olds, and I think Beatrix had some as old as 26 as there is some rule that the corps can march 2? over 21 year-olds...

so as long as a corps competes in the International Division they can march

'aged-out' members of DCI.

Although I think it's a good idea, Yamato has been doing the CA/Japan thing since day 1

Actually,

Dan clarified this a little more to me and here's my understanding.

He's asking that the limit be extended so that North American age outs can go to europe and march in european corps.

I pointed out that European corps have no age limits so what's stopping them from doing that now and why do we need to enact a special rule?

If the idea is to grow the european corps by allowing them to come and compete in DCI with members who aged out of DCI corps last year.. then you'd actually be shrinking the membership base -- you'd lose all those people who are currently the "meat and potatoes" of european drum corps.. the ones that are beyond one year past their DCI age out..

I still say no.

Stefanie

- DCUK already allows up to age 25, with three additional "any-age" performers.

- Mainland Europe has no age restrictions in their open-class divisions.

- When international groups come over to compete in North American DCI events, DCI already offers them the option of competing in the "International Division", which waives those rules on which overseas circuits differ from DCI (like age, for example).

So this idea is already in practice, essentially.

The intent here is not for corps to have to compete in a specific 'International' category... but for them to eventually compete in Div I.

Currrently, most European corps do not have enough members under 22 to field a full competitive corps. If they were allowed to combine with their >22yo members with individuals that aged out of a North American corps only the year before, they could have some excellent competitive groups. The point of this is to 'seed' competitive groups in Europe with experienced performers from North America. It is this ability to be competitive that would dramatically improve a European-based corps to eventually recruit enough members within their own region to consistantly field a Div I group.

The intent here is not for corps to have to compete in a specific 'International' category... but for them to eventually compete in Div I.

Currrently, most European corps do not have enough members under 22 to field a full competitive corps. If they were allowed to combine with their >22yo members with individuals that aged out of a North American corps only the year before, they could have some excellent competitive groups. The point of this is to 'seed' competitive groups in Europe with experienced performers from North America. It is this ability to be competitive that would dramatically improve a European-based corps to eventually recruit enough members within their own region to consistantly field a Div I group.

Oh, OK. That is different.

Would the intent of this be to build bigger corps "in Europe", or create a Yamato-like unit, assembling a European half and a North American half to compete exclusively on the DCI tour?