Scouts camp

acn

Does anyone have any news on the Scouts camp? Number of people auditioning? Percussion staff? Anything? Thanks.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my source tells me the combined turnout from both camps (one was held in TX, one in Madison) was around 150 :huh:

Between two camp locations? This doesn't strike me as a good turnout? What was the weather like in Texas? Madison? Were their vets or was it strictly new talent?

Edited by Tom Brace

Edited for personal reasons.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Edited by toddschultz

...I guess I just came from a different era...

It is the new era, Todd. When I started in drum corps it was a very local and somewhat regional activity. I fell in love with Madison in 1975 as an 11 year old and would have never marched for anyone else. Now, with all the web based information and television exposure, guys are going to the corps that best fits their style, and at times that means the instructor's style and technique.

As for following staff, that has happened for a long time, but usually not on a grand scale like may have happened here. The thing is, our drummers from the last few years came to Madison because of Colin, Ian, and Pete. I guess it should be expected that they would continue to follow those guys.

There was talk, which I assume was now truth that many vets in the percussion section were going to follow some staff where they were heading, I guess loyalty to a tech/caption head is thicker than loyaltly to corps. I'm sorry, I should not judge these people, I guess I just came from a different era when people that I loved and respected left the corps, I would stay. Which was also the case when back between 2002-2003, some left, many stayed, my how time changes things.

I hope I am not coming off as being harsh on people, I just don't get into that type of thinking.

When Garfield fired George Tuthill after the 71 season, much of the drumline left and moved over to the Cabs where he was already their drum instructor. All 3 of us on tenor, I think 2 of 4 snares, and 2 of 4 timpani players.