Scouts camp

acn

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if that was directed to me or not, but I'm not arguing with Tom. I have nothing but respect for his posts (most of the time... :P ).

We're just "discussing" here... we disagree on this issue, agree on many others... but in a respectful way. I even said so in my post... that was

a sincere "thank you..." I said, incase it came out sarcastic...

no, my post was not directed at anyone specifically, just a general.... umm.... friendly moderator warning for those participating in our discussion here. :)

heres the numbers....... 1 trumpet, -3 mellos, 300 tubas, 1 snare, I WAS THERE FOLKS, not really

ices_rofl.gif

Yeah, well this one time, at Madison camp, I heard the numbers we're so bad that they were going to be Division III, and then someone shoved a flute in their...oh wait...this isn't marching band planet, wouldn't want to say flute too loudly.

Hello everyone.

We appreciate the passion all of you are demonstrating on this forum about our TX and WI auditions. It's great to know so many people care. After a lengthy discussion with Jeff Spanos evaluating the pros and cons of the organization having a voice on DCP, we have decided that it is best for us to communicate as openly as possible with the drum corps community when feasible. Accordingly, we would like to give a brief official report about our camps.

The caption heads and staff felt incredibly positive about the talent levels assembled at both auditions and we're excited to get everyone who was invited to the call-backs in December in Madison together where final decisions will be made.

Our numbers from the camps are as follows:

104 brass

51 percussion

15 guard

The guard number includes several guys who had expressed interest in coming to the TX audition. However, we did not audition guard in TX due to a last-minute and unforeseeable situation.

Numbers were a bit thin compared to many years. However, this is what we had expected after the massive staff turnover since 2006. The fact that so many vets decided to come back and give the new staff an opportunity to make an impression speaks volumes about the corps, and we are deeply appreciative of our returning members.

With that being said, I spoke to Corps Director Mark Dunton last night and he said that he has been getting several calls and emails daily from vets and prospective members asking if they can still attend the December camp for an audition. The word has spread quickly about the high-quality teaching that's being conducted by the staff. As well, we are excited about the incredible response we've been receiving since camp about the guard staff. According to Mark Dunton, we're anticipating upwards of 40 potential guard auditionees at the December camp. Both our designer, JC Caceres, and Caption Head Anthony Erevia have no doubt we'll have a talented guard of 36 ready to go in April.

As well, our design team met for the first time this past weekend. For those of you who have not been following the releases, we have a talented and diverse group assembled that includes:

Matt Gregg (Program Coordinator)

Kevin Nix (Program Consultant)

Chris Theo (Creative Consultant)

John Georgeson (Brass Arranger)

Taras Nahirniak (Front Line Arranger)

JC Caceres (Guard Choreographer)

Anthony Erevia (Guard Caption Head)

Roger Carter (Percussion Arranger)

Allen Joanis (Visual Designer)

The team is working through some concepts and plans to have a show concept finalized in December.

Again, thank you all for your continued support of the Madison Scouts.

Sincerely,

Steve Powers

Advisor to the Executive Director

Madison Scouts

My take on this whole thread, all 12 pages of it, is that people are passionate about the Scouts and want them to do well/be entertaining/move forward/etc. Some may be more concerned than others, but I don’t see anyone wishing ill on the corps. No matter the perceptions of intent (which can be hard to discern on a discussion board), everyone wants good things for the corps.

Passion about the Madison Scouts is always a good thing!

MYNWA ^OO^

wellllllll...

Kind of looking for things to bag on them about, aren't we? IMO, of course.

But try not to let it upset you all... :P

I guess it's an important move to them because they are the MADISON Scouts, not the Sun Prairie Scouts. And, from a PR standpoint (since

THAT now seems to be the issue here... no longer the fact that "only" 150 or whatever auditioned for the corps) I guess it's a POSITIVE thing to actually be HQ'ed

in the city your name says you are from. Maybe we could look at it as a new opportunity to renew relationships with the City of Madison, which was once a

very strong and solid relationship that at some point sort of slipped a little. Also, wouldn't it be nice to TRY to see the POSITIVE coming out of Madison after the

obviously rough start to the 2007 season that everyone on Earth and Mars knows about and now needs to be moved on from?

Just curious Tom, but why aren't you equally upset by the fact none of the top 5 have addressed turn out numbers on THEIR "websites" either? Also, thank you for

answering my question earlier... eloquent as always I will say. But I'm still not 100% sure I see why you feel the need to be so critical.

All of our grandmothers used to say: "If you can't think of something nice to say... then why say anything at all?"

:P :wub: :P :wub: :P :doh: :P :wub: :P :doh: :P

You all are cracking me up. I do know from a very good personal friend at PR who helped with member registration at auditions that PR did indeed have at least 500 at their audition camp last weekend.

I also know from helping at Madison's audition camp in Madison LAST year that over 300 attended. Since I also lead a crew that was measuring for the new uniforms, I have the guys names if ya don't believe me. LOL

I would also think that Madison's current press releases should be professional since the owner/editor of Drum Corps World is on their Board and I'd certainly consult him if I were Jeff Spanos. Of course, Michael Cesario used to help with these things with Sal and others when Sal was on board.

Madison, through the Salas years, was trying to establish relationships with the City. It seems those were either non-existent or very selective previously (or burnt due to unmentionable member pranks in the past). There's a lot more to it than plopping your office within the city limits.

MYNWA

You all are cracking me up. I do know from a very good personal friend at PR who helped with member registration at auditions that PR did indeed have at least 500 at their audition camp last weekend.

I also know from helping at Madison's audition camp in Madison LAST year that over 300 attended. Since I also lead a crew that was measuring for the new uniforms, I have the guys names if ya don't believe me. LOL

I would also think that Madison's current press releases should be professional since the owner/editor of Drum Corps World is on their Board and I'd certainly consult him if I were Jeff Spanos. Of course, Michael Cesario used to help with these things with Sal and others when Sal was on board.

Madison, through the Salas years, was trying to establish relationships with the City. It seems those were either non-existent or very selective previously (or burnt due to unmentionable member pranks in the past). There's a lot more to it than plopping your office within the city limits.

MYNWA

There's a lot more being done than simply "plopping" the office "within the city limits."