Scouts camp

acn

if they will pay for my flight from Phoenix, I'd love to help those guys move.

The wind chill is 8 right now with as much as a foot of snow hitting parts of Wisconsin tonight and tomorrow...are you nuts?!?!?!?!?!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snow is underrated.

~>conner

I want to. I do...It would a fun weekend. Help me with my ticket from Phoenix. I'll pay 1/2...you pick up the other 1/2.

I have a better idea. Stay home, donate 1/2 of the cost of a ticket to the corps, and I'll match the donation.

Interesting assertions. Co-ed corps do not have an equal number of male and female members - males outnumber females substantially - at least in my experience.

Also, all corps also recruit by word of mouth...through their staff, alumni, etc. Referencing the 'fraternal feel' can be a tad insulting and misleading. Gentlemen, brotherhood - this is a class kind of thing (or should be).

MYNWA

Believe me, I did not mean 'fraternal feel' as an insult...it was meant as a compliment! :worthy: I was just noting that the Madison alum and member have an unusually close bond to the organization and its extended family; and that they (from my observations) network as well as anyone in the activity.

Please accept my apology if I have wrongly characterized here. Thanks

I'm glad you asked. Here's my point. It's called marketing. And in Marketing the best way to deal with news (special emphasis here) [/b]that may be interpreted as bad[/b] is to say nothing...let it pass...slide by. Madison has said nothing official, yet other groups have. Because in the drum corps arena...high turnouts at audition camps are typically interpreted here as a positive sign. People of a marching age are happy with where your program is going because they spend the time, energy and effort to make it to your audition.

When the numbers are lower than expected, again, you don't emphasize that with any announcement.

So, when their website announces their moving the headquarters, it just smacked me as kind of funny. Because it's not earth shaking...they are moving from Sun Prairie to Madison. Unless they woke up yesterday and decided to move, this was most likely planned months ago. So, this could have been announced in advance of the move. If the move was going to effect phones, etc., then pertinent cell phones or other communications would be set up. Mail is forwarded, so I don't see this as earth shaking needed to be announced news. Unless, they are sking for help in moving. BTW, if they will pay for my flight from Phoenix, I'd love to help those guys move.

I agree, I'm most likely making too much of this announcement. Just took it kind of funny.

FYI to all out there - Madison has been looking for a new office location for over a year now. And, yes, I do mean Sal and crew - moving the office back into Madison was desirable for some reason. Having been to the corps office iin Sun Prairie MANY times, it was a nice office - more space for storage was the only thing I could see would be nice. Past that - Sun Prairie is so close to Madison it is comical to make a big deal about 'moving back to Madison."

FYI to all out there - Madison has been looking for a new office location for over a year now. And, yes, I do mean Sal and crew - moving the office back into Madison was desirable for some reason. Having been to the corps office iin Sun Prairie MANY times, it was a nice office - more space for storage was the only thing I could see would be nice. Past that - Sun Prairie is so close to Madison it is comical to make a big deal about 'moving back to Madison."

That's exactly my point. If you have nothing good to report...silence is your friend. If you make a big deal broadcast about loading up the trucks and moving to Madison....that huge trek down Highway 151 it just make me wonder why they thought that was important.

It's important for two reasons...the phones...I buy that. But perspective members should have already been notified about this.

Or, if they need help. In which case that's the story...not that we are moving, but hey, wanna come help move a drum corps?

Public Relations and Marketing is a VERY complicated field. It's not just putting something on the website or kicking out press releases. it's tailoring a message, knowing what to say, when and who should say it. It's also anticipating what the reaction will be. It's proactive when at it's best, reactive only in times of crisis.

wellllllll...

Kind of looking for things to bag on them about, aren't we? IMO, of course.

But try not to let it upset you all... :P

I guess it's an important move to them because they are the MADISON Scouts, not the Sun Prairie Scouts. And, from a PR standpoint (since

THAT now seems to be the issue here... no longer the fact that "only" 150 or whatever auditioned for the corps) I guess it's a POSITIVE thing to actually be HQ'ed

in the city your name says you are from. Maybe we could look at it as a new opportunity to renew relationships with the City of Madison, which was once a

very strong and solid relationship that at some point sort of slipped a little. Also, wouldn't it be nice to TRY to see the POSITIVE coming out of Madison after the

obviously rough start to the 2007 season that everyone on Earth and Mars knows about and now needs to be moved on from?

Just curious Tom, but why aren't you equally upset by the fact none of the top 5 have addressed turn out numbers on THEIR "websites" either? Also, thank you for

answering my question earlier... eloquent as always I will say. But I'm still not 100% sure I see why you feel the need to be so critical.

All of our grandmothers used to say: "If you can't think of something nice to say... then why say anything at all?"

:P :worthy: :P :worthy: :P :worthy: :P :worthy: :P :worthy: :P

Darn it Scouts WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!!!!! POST THE NUMBERS-Please, WE MUST KEEP UP WITH THE DCP'ers THAT ARE CALLING FOR THEM, IT IS THE ONLY TRUE INDICATOR OF WHAT KIND OF SEASON YOU WILL HAVE!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD RELEASE THE NUMBERS---We're doomed if you don't!!!!!

AHHHHHH! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Ok, turning ofF the sarcasm now.

Edited by toddschultz