Scouts camp

acn

150 may seem small when compared to the Crossman's 400.

However, reports were that about 80 of those 400 were for snare, so about 70 are already out. Also reported (I know nothing official) that about half the horns were trumpets, so there are less low brass to choose from. Someone also said they were young. I'm not saying this wasn't a good thing or the Crossmen won't be good, just that 400 auditionees doesn't autiomatically make you a top 12 corps; we'll find out in August.

As long as Madison picked up a good nucleous of talent in that 150 and the management, staff, and potential members keep recruiting the RIGHT people, things will be fine.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what ive heard...the guard turnout was sparce a best.

about 5 vets and 4 rookies at the Madison camp.

There are a few more vets that werent at the camp that are coming back as well.

Talking to my friends, they said they really enjoyed camp.

The work they were given to do is more East Coast style (ala Cadets)...basically, the guard is actually spinning this year. nice.

Not all the staff was present, but of those who were there, they made a positive impact on the attitude of the vets.

I wouldnt worry about numbers. Guys that get cut from Cavies or Phantom or wherever tend to make their way to Madison by April. I wouldnt judge the success of the guard til after that.

My rookie year (03) the guard wasnt full till April when Cavie, SCV, and Cadets cuts showed up for camp.

Give it time. Give them a chance.

MYNWA, always

What was the breakdown of the hornline?

How many trumpets, mellos, baris, euphs, tubas?

I'm not aware of how many guys are coming up from Texas, but I seem to recall that the numbers in Waunakee were evenly distributed (i.e., 20 sops; 8-10 mellos; 14-16 bari/euphs; 8 contras). I was only there for about 30 minutes - but enough to hear Never Walk and a section of Malaga (not starting any rumors - they were just using it for camp as far as I know). Upper leads were (as is typical) strong.

Most impressive was the teaching that was going on - Keith Dunton and Matt Gregg running the line while I was there. I also heard great things about Dave Cooksey and the other horn staff. I'm expecting good things.

The Malaguena thing is not an indicator of what is to come in the show. When I auditioned in 1997 we played Malaguena, and again in 1998 and 1999 during auditions. I forget who it was, but I remember a staff member saying to us that everyone that comes out for the corps shoudl get the chance to play Malaguena, which has happened, well 4 times now that I know of 1997-1999, and 2007 at auditions.

The Malaguena thing is not an indicator of what is to come in the show. When I auditioned in 1997 we played Malaguena, and again in 1998 and 1999 during auditions. I forget who it was, but I remember a staff member saying to us that everyone that comes out for the corps shoudl get the chance to play Malaguena, which has happened, well 4 times now that I know of 1997-1999, and 2007 at auditions.

He said Malaga not Malaguena

Edited by bluecoats88

150 may seem small when compared to the Crossman's 400.

However, reports were that about 80 of those 400 were for snare, so about 70 are already out. Also reported (I know nothing official) that about half the horns were trumpets, so there are less low brass to choose from. Someone also said they were young. I'm not saying this wasn't a good thing or the Crossmen won't be good, just that 400 auditionees doesn't autiomatically make you a top 12 corps; we'll find out in August.

As long as Madison picked up a good nucleous of talent in that 150 and the management, staff, and potential members keep recruiting the RIGHT people, things will be fine.

150 is small compared to 400 is a fact.

out of 110 crossmen brass -50 trumpets = 60 low brass / without vets.

50 guard compared to 9 at Madison camp.

just winter numbers. anything is possible .

numbers from different posts.

LL