Scouts camp

acn

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill is correct - these numbers are not accurate - I was there on Sunday. Curious as to how the earlier poster knew the total number of both the Madison and Texas camps, as the Texas guys didn't attend the Madison camp last week.

This sounds more reasonable to me. When corps' are running auditions all over the country it's impossible to get an accurate head count from all the camps.

This sounds more reasonable to me. When corps' are running auditions all over the country it's impossible to get an accurate head count from all the camps.

So from what you say...we should discount what other corps have reported as headcounts because they have multiple locations as well?

I guess if someone who is disputing the counts given would tell us what the counts were it would answer some questions.

But, what is clear is other corps have had small numbers at early camps and have gone on to do terrific performances in the summer. So the size of the first camp isn't always an accirate indicator of how a corps will perform in the summer.

Also, corps with huge turnouts in the fall have not always had a strong show come August. Still the more people you can look at, the better you can fill each section with quality individuals.

There seems to be some discrepency as to whether this was a brass/percussion audition or was guard supposed to be there. My understanding is that guard would be looked at in December, but I might be mistaken on that.

Finally, in the past, the Scouts set their lines very early in the season...usually at the November camp. I do not knw whether Sal followed this in his tenure, but I know Scott Stewart did. My guess is that Madison no longer follows that "tradition."

By the way...having worked with Matt Gregg and knowing Jeff Spanos...what is going to happen at Madison is some really good teaching. If you are a student and want to learn a great deal about the marching and playing aspects of any instrument...Madison is going to be a good choice this year and for many years going forward.

If the alumni support is solid, if fundraising is going well, these folks on staff know how to get the most out of the members on the field.

Again, if you are looking for a great marching atmosphere for the summer and (as my son will tell you) a brotherhood for life, check out Madison.

When I stopped in at the Madison Scout Auditions, these were the total numbers for both camps: 15 trumpets, 7 mellophones, 32 percussion, 13 naritones, 10 tubas, 1 front line and 6 color guard.

:feednotroll: :)

....So from what you say...we should discount what other corps have reported as headcounts because they have multiple locations as well?.....

Nope. Never said any such thing. I'm just wondering how a person in Wisconsin can do a headcount of a camp in Texas.

150 may seem small when compared to the Crossman's 400.

However, reports were that about 80 of those 400 were for snare, so about 70 are already out. Also reported (I know nothing official) that about half the horns were trumpets, so there are less low brass to choose from. Someone also said they were young. I'm not saying this wasn't a good thing or the Crossmen won't be good, just that 400 auditionees doesn't autiomatically make you a top 12 corps; we'll find out in August.

As long as Madison picked up a good nucleous of talent in that 150 and the management, staff, and potential members keep recruiting the RIGHT people, things will be fine.

no one said 400 kids auditioning will make them a top 12 corps. I think they were pointing out that for a corps who has been through a lot in the past few months and has not made the top 12 in 2 years (which is not like them) its a great start for the corps who has been relocated many miles from "home". obviously the more kids that show up, the more talent they have to choose from. Both corps will be fine, but i guess people are happy that as many tried out for the corps did, no one knew that the crossmen would do so well(auditioning) in another state. best of luck to both madison and crossmen.

no one said 400 kids auditioning will make them a top 12 corps. I think they were pointing out that for a corps who has been through a lot in the past few months and has not made the top 12 in 2 years (which is not like them) its a great start for the corps who has been relocated many miles from "home". obviously the more kids that show up, the more talent they have to choose from. Both corps will be fine, but i guess people are happy that as many tried out for the corps did, no one knew that the crossmen would do so well(auditioning) in another state. best of luck to both madison and crossmen.

I'm happy things went well for Crossmen, can't wait until they're entirely free of YEA.

Didn't really say what I wanted very well.

Just was trying to say that while numbers can help, who shows up is what's really important.

no one said 400 kids auditioning will make them a top 12 corps.

Can anyone name any corps that had over 400 people audition that did NOT make top 12?

Especially 400 from TEXAS! There is a reason so many of the top 12 corps hold auditions in Texas.

If it works out that Crossmen start getting their choice of these musicians...we are in for some very

memorable shows.