Scouts camp

acn

At the end of the weekend, at the last brass block, when some people had gone home... this is the total count of brass players who were standing in the arc: 17 Baritones, 10 Contras, 10 Mellos, and 19 Sops... that is only the numbers from the last brass block of only one of the two camps... the TX camp was almost certainly bigger than half of that... the numbers that people are posting are absolutely wrong, and I don't understand why people get away with saying things that they not only have no business saying, but are also outright lies. Madison is going to be fine.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the weekend, at the last brass block, when some people had gone home... this is the total count of brass players who were standing in the arc: 17 Baritones, 10 Contras, 10 Mellos, and 19 Sops... that is only the numbers from the last brass block of only one of the two camps... the TX camp was almost certainly bigger than half of that... the numbers that people are posting are absolutely wrong, and I don't understand why people get away with saying things that they not only have no business saying, but are also outright lies. Madison is going to be fine.

you are my hero. Just because of a new staff doesn't mean they are going to do bad. They are going to show everyone who doubted them wrong.

I simply stated the numbers from the REGISTRATION SHEET! (As probably did Black Widow.) These are not outright lies as you so boldly state. Excuse me - so the numbers are off by 5 people - and what gives YOU the right to say we have no business saying this?? Is this not a forum?? These extra people were probably walk ins that were not on the original sheets.

I LOVE the Madison Scouts!! I only wish them the best! I hope they have a great season.

MYNWA fighttheurge!!!

your numbers were off by more than 5 people... what was said was that there was that many people at both camps combined, i told you the numbers from THE END of the MADISON camp, after some people had gone home. and how in the world did someone go to both the Madison and TX camps?!? if the statement that this person went to both of the camps doesn't seem like enough of an outright lie, shouldn't the fact that their numbers were not even close seem like enough of one? and yes, this IS a forum, but the people reading it should not be subject to things that simply are not true. barring your last comment, your original comment was made to create the impression that Madison is having a disappointing turnout for auditions, and with creating THAT impression, you create the impression that Madison is going to have a disappointing season... which simply is not true. you can say you love the Madison Scouts as much as the next person, and you can tell me to Never Walk Alone as much as the next person, but you are saying things on this forum that are creating the impression to the readers that Madison is not going to be Madison in 2007... and i'd like you to stop.

I watched the full hornline rehearsal on Sunday of "Malaga"...and by the end, whoa, it sounded great. Matt Gregg (brass instructor and program coordinator) even commented to the hornline, "For an audition hornline, that was really good." They rehearsed the first half of the '04 arrangement -no easy piece especially if you're sighting it. But by the end, wow. For a November hornline, they seemed pretty competent -and loud.

They didn't tell any of the brass and percussion auditioneees who was "in" or "out" until the very end so many of these guys were really giving it their all. At the end, they split into 3 groups: those who were cut outright, those who were invited back to December camp but not guaranteed a spot (this was the majority of guys it seemed), and then the group that was guaranteed in. I have a sense they are being selective and not worried at all about taking the time to field a great corps.

The previous comment about the teaching component is definitely true. I know I'm a biased alum, but it's a great place to march to learn, perform, and have a great time.

I think the boys will be fine. My nephew just made the corps on mello -and the kid can flat-out play (collegiate horn scholarship). Hopefully they can continue to corral other rookies of this caliber to fill in the holes.

I just want Madison to be Madison again. I liked the Sal Salas Scouts, but certainly wasn't blown away by the shows like I wanted to be. I hope the Spanos/Dunton era brings back a renaissance of high entertainment but still the ability to score. It can be done.

I watched the full hornline rehearsal on Sunday of "Malaga"...and by the end, whoa, it sounded great. Matt Gregg (brass instructor and program coordinator) even commented to the hornline, "For an audition hornline, that was really good." They rehearsed the first half of the '04 arrangement -no easy piece especially if you're sighting it. But by the end, wow. For a November hornline, they seemed pretty competent -and loud.

I just want Madison to be Madison again. I liked the Sal Salas Scouts, but certainly wasn't blown away by the shows like I wanted to be. I hope the Spanos/Dunton era brings back a renaissance of high entertainment but still the ability to score. It can be done.

Amen

I got an e-mail from a 2004 member who is coming back this year. He said that the camp

was very encouraging. He and the other vets are psyched about how great the new

staff is, they are among the best teachers that he has ever worked with. And I'm quoting him on that.

The talent level is high, especially in the lead

sections. And as far is numbers, this is how he told me it broke down....(obviously

before the end of the camp, when some had to leave)..

30 trumpets

around 10 mellos

around 20 baris/euphs

9 or 10 contras

He also said that percussion was 30 snares (cut to 12)

25 Tenors (cut to 5) and 8 Basses (cut to 5)

So, it doesn't look bad at all. Sure, maybe there weren't as many people as

Phantom, Crossmen, BD, etc...but as Tom said, big camp turnout doesn't

necessarily mean a championship show.

I would encourage any serious music student to audition for Scouts at next camp.

The fact that a person of John Georgeson's calibre is on staff is reason enough

to march. He is truly an artist and a master of his craft!

Edited by madalumni

Keep in mind, a lot of college students (cough cough me) still have to play at football games and can't attend November camps.

To add to that...the available talent pool for Madison will be aproximately 1/2 of the other corps....except for Cavies...for one reason.

No women allowed.... :laugh:

Also remember that Madison is different than any of the other corps in that it has retained more of the fraternal feel; and that they can still recruit more from a personal contact rather than cattle-calls as in most corps. So there is more inside knowledge of the recruits abilities before the camps. (I know...I had a chance to age-out with Madison many moons ago, but had to bypass it due to other personal demands in my life...what was I thinking :laugh:

Also...to the posters who were (allegedly) at both camps...HOW did you do that? And why???

(it is not a two-hr drive as in from Lacrosse to Madison... :doh: )

Edited by prodigal bari