Early 2007 Predictions

It’s post Thanksgiving crystal ball time and here are my early predictions for 2007.

1. Blue Devils – It’s time once again. They stop doing stupid Godfather shows and instead show off all that talent in a great classic jazz show. The 2007 DCI Championship title is yours. Do a 1994 all over again. Win every show from beginning to the end this year.

2. Bluecoats – A constant rising corps for the past 6 seasons. Once again, they have great consistent drums and guard. They should get to the bridesmaid spot this year.

3. Cavaliers – Not a down year for Cavies, just more of the same. Trip to Europe puts them a bit behind. It will be close between these top 3 corps.

4. Cadets – Finally, Hoppy’s gimmick this year? No gimmicks…they come out a kick butt from beginning to end. An extended park and bark at the end brings the crowds to their feet, but they don’t score enough visual points to get into the top tier.

5. Phantom Regiment – They may take high drums again, but the book is iffy at best and they will have a down guard year. Again, visual caption will be their downfall.

6. Carolina Crown – Crown could take Regiment for fifth, but the drums aren’t quite up to the task...yet. Wait until next year though. They “out vis” Regiment, but not enough to hold off the music captions in brass and drums.

7. Santa Clara Vangaurd – Not a close race for sixth, this is clearly the start of the next tier. Respighi and Ravel….nothing new here.

8. Boston Crusaders – Just got a hunch that Boston will make it a race with SCV. They should pick up some Florida kids with the loss of Magic.

9. Blue Knights – The “been there, done that” show. This show will be compared over and over again throughout the season. They will not prove worthy of the book. A bit of a slip from last year.

10. Crossmen – They could flop places with BK. Texas likee the Crossmen. And the X-men benefit greatly from the new influx of talent. This will be the first of several continual moves forward for the organization, quieting some of the grumbling from alums from the Northeast.

11. Colts – Mr. Cesario breathes some life into the Colts show and they jump a few places. They’ll spend more money on the show as well. This is a nice big jump for them.

12. Glassmen – The enigma corps of the year. I think they’ll make top 12, they could also slip to 15th. I think with Sal Salas back, they will charge ahead, and move further ahead in coming years. I could also see them possibly in 11th and Colts here very easily.

13. Academy – Surprise! Academy once again lives up to the hype and almost steals a finals position sliding in 13th just ahead of Madison. It will be neck and neck with these two corps all year long. I could also see them in a spot behind Madison.

14. Madison Scouts – Not sold on the new staff’s ability to turn this organization around right away. Long term, maybe, but it will be a few years of cutting teeth before we can chew more meat in Madtown. They will tease a finals position early in the year, but by August will be more than a point behind. Their camp turnout bears this out as well.

15. Spirit of JSU – Down year for JSU. Just not feeling it for them. The old timers love their straight forward style, but it just won’t make top 12 this year.

16. Troopers – Welcome back! I think their show slides them nicely into a neat little 16th place finish. Not finals in their first year back, but very respectable. They could possibly vault over JSU. If they can continue the progress, I could see them jumping to a 12th in Indy in ’08.

17. Blue Stars – Like the past Div. IIs that move up, their sophomore season will be less rewarding than their breakout freshman success.

18. Southwind – They could hop over Blue Stars. Clearly 2 points better than the rest of the pack behind them.

19. Seattle Cascades – New staff helps them move forward for ’07.

20. Mandarins – Maybe taiko drums return to the pit?

21. Pacific Crest – Same old..same old. One of the not ready for Div. I players.

22. Esperanza – Same old..same old. One of the not ready for Div. I players. Spartans (Div. II Champ scores better on Div. I sheets)

23. Kiwanis Kavaliers – If they field, they could come out of Florida to beat Pioneer. If they can field a corps. Spartans and Jersey Surf (Div. II Champ and Runner-up score better on Div. I sheets)

24. Pioneer – G Bugles…same sleepy Irish music…old time staff. They will mix it up with Kilties mostly. Once again, they will be my, “Isn’t it time to go get a hot dog?” corps. Top four Div. II corps score better on Div. I sheets.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Regiment's book "iffy at best?" You don't know anything about any of these corps for the upcoming season. This post is worthless, at best.

I know The Stavinsky has been put on the field several times and at risk of comparisons...it hasn't worked yet.

Also, just speaking of PR, the move to a mixed guard is going to be a dramatic change. The winter guard may help solidify some spots, but the change from the traditional all women guard is not going to go without challenges.

The post is an opinion based on what is known at this point. And...hey...anyone in top 6 has got to feel good about their season. Go have a good summer.

I know The Stavinsky has been put on the field several times and at risk of comparisons...it hasn't worked yet.

Also, just speaking of PR, the move to a mixed guard is going to be a dramatic change. The winter guard may help solidify some spots, but the change from the traditional all women guard is not going to go without challenges.

The post is an opinion based on what is known at this point. And...hey...anyone in top 6 has got to feel good about their season. Go have a good summer.

Phantom got 2nd in 1978 with firebird... How is it that "it hasn't worked yet?" And to campare Phantom to Cavies (97 firebird) is like comparing apples and oranges because it is two completely different approaches to that same idea...

Oh, where were you last year when the guard was co-ed? They seemed to do just fine then too...

How is Regiment's book "iffy at best?" You don't know anything about any of these corps for the upcoming season. This post is worthless, at best.

By the way...this strikes me as "You said something bad about my corps so shut up" kind of a rant. OK...prove me wrong. Tell me why these predictions are wrong, worthless as you say. I've stated reasons why each corps is placed in their position based on past success and recent developments in their announced programs, staff, audition camp reports, etc.

There are two ways anyone connected with a corps can assert my predictions as wrong. One...make your own...with your own reasons for placement. Two,,,go out this summer and kick butt and have a great summer.

But, for now...after the leftovers of Thanksgiving are depleted into the last cup of turkey soup, the last marshmallow on the sweet potatoes. Let's passionately discuss what could happen next summer.

Phantom got 2nd in 1978 with firebird... How is it that "it hasn't worked yet?" And to campare Phantom to Cavies (97 firebird) is like comparing apples and oranges because it is two completely different approaches to that same idea...

Oh, where were you last year when the guard was co-ed? They seemed to do just fine then too...

In case you didn't see it the first time I posted. coughTomBracecough

My Predictions

1. Cavaliers

2. Phantom Regiment

3. Blue Devils

4. Cadets

5. Bluecoats

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Carolina Crown

8. Blue Knights

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Crossmen

11. Glassmen

12. Spirit from JSU

13. Madison Scouts

14. Colts

15. Blue Stars

16. Academy

17. Troopers

18. Southwind

19. Mandarins

20. Pacific Crest

21. Kiwanis Kavaliers

22. Esperanza

23. Cascades

24. Pioneer

The guard had what...6 guys...all in feature roles as demons...hardly a full co-ed guard (equal men and women.

Yeah...I know about '78. That was a good year. Maybe if it would have been performed in '79 instead. See...that ###### SCV show in '78 is the one everyone remembers. ###### Bottle Dance.

I also think the last part of Regiment's show was the killer. Flight of the Bumblebee! Then finishing with the 9th! Oh man. Isn't that the year the guard knelt down as the corps front passed them and then they popped the Beethoveen flag behind the corps front? How cools was that.

1. Phantom

2. Cavaliers

3. SCV

4. Blue Devils

5. Blue Coats

6. Crown

7. Cadets

8. Glassmen

9. Blue Knights

10. Boston

11. Madison

12. Colts