Top 5 Spine-Tingling Moments of All-Time

heres another 5 for the hell of it:

6) SCV 88 - Company front in the closer (Way better than 89 if you haven't seen it)

7) Regiment 96 - Opener (all of it) and the Fill in arc in the closer

8) Cavaliers 86 - Korean folk song

9) Cadets 84 - The wipeout and subsequent victory

10) SCV 85 - The tunnel

I totally agree about 88 SCV

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All raise the hais on neck equally, no matter how many times I heard each piece:

1. Giannini/opener - Vanguard 1983 (a midnight standstill only cost me 100 push-ups, the baritone lick near the end turns me into a porcupine every time)

2. Strawberry Soup - Scouts 1983 Yeah Shawn Owens! He hits it solid every time

3. West Side Story - Garfield Cadets 1984 - incredible show, fortunate to hook up and tour with them for the last two weeks of tour. Still my favorits all time show

4. Music of the Night (entire closer) Vanguard 1988 - pure emotion

5. Canon - Phantom 2003(?)

Sorry, couldn't keep it to 5...

1984 Suncoast Sound- The last half of the show was a spine tingling moment for me. Starting with Requiem, while a single guard member walks through a cemetery holding a white balloon, the raising of "The Wall" in the background, the release of the balloon at the end of the song and then Satisfaction/America. Wow!

Scs842.jpg

1985 Suncoast- The whole show but especially "The Lick".

1982-83 SCV- Appalachian Spring. That, to me, is the definition of a drum corps "moment".

Singing Ave Maria with the horn-line before taking the field at DCA finals in 2003

Every re-entry BD played in the late 70's- to mid 80s

Every time I heard 2-7 play Danny Boy

Anytime I hear SCV play Send In The Clowns

Anytime I hear the Scouts play You'll Never Walk Alone

Edited by skajerk

1985 Suncoast- The whole show but especially "The Lick".

I totally agree. There's totally an aura surrounding the whole show that gives the listener the distinct impresion that there was something special going on in Madison that night. Few musical programs since 1985 can compare to Florida Suite; the show was years ahead of its time, extremely well-performed, and calling the performance "enjoyable" or "listenable" in modern times would be a tremendous understatement.

My 5 would be.....

Southwind 2000, company front to the end of the ballad. That defines "moment" to me, in a drum corps context.

Phantom 1995 build into the big hit in the ballad, and ensuing musical perfection that follows. I just got chills thinking about it.

Phantom 2004, the first time I saw that end-of-opener ripple live. That may have been the most electrified I ever felt while watching a drum corps show

Madison 2003, first big hit, live somewhere in the south (I want to say the Spain Park show in Alabama....I think it was either my second or third drum corps show, and want to say the second). Official proof for me, and an impression that will last forever, that there is a massive difference between a hornline in G, and one in Bb. I couldn't be more grateful for the designers having made the initial brass attack of the show an ensemble FF moment. I guess I'd change what I just said, and would put this as the single most electrifying DCI experience (from a viewing standpoint) I've ever had, simply because I was stupefied at the mindblowing sound quality. Also, back then, the sop solo in the opener was a fifth higher than it wound up being at finals (it was lowered either on semis or finals night, since the VHS from '03 shows the soloist horrifically failing at playing the higher part), and this 'ballsy' aspect of Madison's persona was displayed to me in full effect that night. I still get chills when I listen to them playing the entire impact moment from Ombra backfield.

Cadets in 2003, Murray, KY....standing in the center of their warmup arc (with a friend of mine....10 or so feet above the hornline, about 20 feet away from the ends of the arc, directly in the center) and hearing them play the White Dawn chord progression at maximum volume, after playing it at PP once, and singing it full-out once. That was brass heaven for me; I was really lucky and got to actually play the sequence the year after (and our first time playing it was a pretty amazing moment too), but nothing can compare to originally being drowned by those chords.

honorable mentions:

performing in dci finals for the first time in '05, though i wouldn't really call it "spine-tingling" when compared to the other ones.

retreat from '06 (and '05 too....hmm...not sure which more so)

watching what will forever be my standard of perfect marching execution, being in the front row around the 40 for the '03 BD encore run. i highly doubt i'll ever see a group of individuals march as well as they did, and i was lucky enough to see it from 20 feet away, with shakos off, with the performers visibly having the time of their lives.

on the bus arriving at dci atlanta '06 (my quasi-homeshow....seemingly the closest ill ever get to performing at a dci show in florida for the rest of my dci career) with hype music at full volume (this year's was "large in the margin" by 311, among many others), seeing the crowd arriving, and being among the most excited to perform as at any other time in my marching career.

bluecoats '87, certain moments in autumn leaves, while being aware of the magnitude of that performance.

massillon performance on a yearly basis.

hearing my '05 intro, probably the brass moment i'm most proud of in my 4 years of drum corps so far. same with my '06 ballad....i cant imagine performing a better or more emotional one during my time in the activity (though the '07 one seems extremely interesting at the moment too :) )

my recording of the closer from bd 2000 in the lot, brass only, from finals night '00.

corpsvets encore from some dca show in GA in '03, playing "georgia on my mind"

cavies '97, bari solo leading to the first hit. such an underrated moment.

cavies 2000, the whole sequence leading to the monstrous chord at 9:39 on the finals cd. bari moving line over the soprano sustain note, the last contra hit before the resolution.....overwhelming.

last chord of the crown 2001 opener, chills every time.

way too many more.

As you can see from my top 5, the cd recordings can't compare to the moments that live drum corps provide.

Here's my .02 cents....

1. The Cadets 2000...four count move into the wedge in clocks (the first two counts of silence, and then the last two counts of everyone screaming before we hit the big chord), and then catching a glimpse of the crowd with all the cameras flashing. One of the best moments of my life as a marching member.

2. The Cadets 2000 (again)....the last three sets of the closer including the box Z-pull, catching another glimpse of the crowd jumping out of their seats and throwing babies at us.

3. The Cadets 2000 (again)...beginning of the season show we had in Bloomington, IL where all the band kids were literally out of their seats cheering for the entire show, and we hadn't even gotten done with the opener before that all started. This is the point where I knew the show would be special.

----as you probably figured out, these are the moments I marched.

4. The Cadets 1998...The Ballad (Canterbury Chorale), one of the most BEAUTIFUL ballads in the world wonderfully played by The Cadets...best part is at the climax and the long chord...and then where the entire hornline releases on time and a huge echo was heard throughout the stadium..I almost jumped out onto the field for that.

5. The Cadets 1997...The end of the opener where everyone is running all over the place. Nail-biting moment there...I think I was out of my seat just looking to see if anyone was going to fall or get run-into.

.....just my .02 cents......

Here's my .02 cents....

1. The Cadets 2000...four count move into the wedge in clocks (the first two counts of silence, and then the last two counts of everyone screaming before we hit the big chord), and then catching a glimpse of the crowd with all the cameras flashing. One of the best moments of my life as a marching member.

2. The Cadets 2000 (again)....the last three sets of the closer including the box Z-pull, catching another glimpse of the crowd jumping out of their seats and throwing babies at us.

3. The Cadets 2000 (again)...beginning of the season show we had in Bloomington, IL where all the band kids were literally out of their seats cheering for the entire show, and we hadn't even gotten done with the opener before that all started. This is the point where I knew the show would be special.

I envy you.

Here's my .02 cents....

4. The Cadets 1998...The Ballad (Canterbury Chorale), one of the most BEAUTIFUL ballads in the world wonderfully played by The Cadets...best part is at the climax and the long chord...and then where the entire hornline releases on time and a huge echo was heard throughout the stadium..I almost jumped out onto the field for that.

5. The Cadets 1997...The end of the opener where everyone is running all over the place. Nail-biting moment there...I think I was out of my seat just looking to see if anyone was going to fall or get run-into.

.....just my .02 cents......

Well put Tekk.