Top 5 Spine-Tingling Moments of All-Time

phantom 1996-that soprano run towards the closer was amazing

If you placed in 1989- anything

cadets 1987-disolving company front

2000 cadets-the company front

scv 2004-that powerful opener lifted me off my feet

scouts 1996-wow that ending!

cavies 1995-when they played jupiter

cavies 1992- all the music of the opener after the clanky drum (i think it may have been a breakdrum)

1993 star---that loud...huge...rip your face off chord mid show

2005 crown-that closer was great

scv 1987- the russian xmas was amazing

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head...

Some out of the ordinary shows:

2004 SCV at finals when Sheherazade emerges from the tunnel with the sword-very cool.

(OK, maybe this one isn't out of the ordinary choices but read on)

2002 Boston Crusaders-when they lay down and make the American flag-Holy ****, the first time I saw that it caught me by surprise and took my breath away. I love when a show ends low for a change.

1979 Bridgemen-when Jim Brady came down the 50 playing the Pagliacci solo and when he takes it up..OMFG First DC show I ever saw (and probably the last one held on Long Island)

2004 Phantom Regiment-the soli sectional parts got the whole crowd going, the horn line rocked that season, should have placed alot higher that year

1981 Long Island Kingsmen-OK,OK so not exactly in the history books,but the only year I marched so it was pretty spine tingling to me.

That's my 5 right now, ask me again and I'll come with others. There's alot to remember and choose from.

I was about ready to pay your brother to go to your house and bonk you on the head with a copy of the show.

That made for one of the most amazing moments in drum corps.

Well considering Adam lives in Nashville and I am in Atlanta it would have been a long trip for little effect LOL

I hate to say it, but I really tend to forget the shows I marched in.

I would have given almost anything to see the 89 show from the pressbox just once.

Cavaliers 1981 when the hornline steps over the guard in the closer! Truly one of my favorite moments in my drum corps experience.

Blue Devils 1982 Encore performance at finals. Unbelievable!

Madison Scouts 1988 Spin into the wedge at the end of Malaguena-one of the most effective drill moves in the activity IMO.

1987 Cadets company front-absolutely a classic move and set the activity on its ear!

1990 Star of Indiana first horn impact-WOW still remember being floored by this one.

Madison Scouts 1988 Spin into the wedge at the end of Malaguena-one of the most effective drill moves in the activity IMO.

Yes!!! Fantastic. That show was GE Nirvana for the last 2 minutes. Ridiculous. And the guard "tantrum" moment right after the spin is also awesome.

1987 Cadets company front-absolutely a classic move and set the activity on its ear!

Ehh, overrated.

Rather than repeat what’s already been said, I’ll approach this a little differently. (I’ve told some of these stories before, so apologies to those who’ve heard already.)

Phantom ’94 and Claire de Lune (which means “moonlight” and which will be important to the story) - Phantom’s Claire de Lune was a wonderful ballad that ended with the corps facing backfield, horns raised to the lip of the backfield stands. The tune tugged our hearts on any night. But on final’s night, something happened for the ages. There, amid those familiar, plaintiff, final chords, the bells of Phantom’s brass pointed perfectly to a bright round moon rising over the stands as if summoned by the melody. The music of the night, indeed. Unforgettable. Spine-tingling.

Phantom ’03 – Many have mentioned already Canon and that emotional, thrilling reprise. A man in the stands near me finals week told me how he brought his daughter to a show that year. She had no connection to Phantom and no special interest in drum corps. She seemed to be enjoying herself enough, if not as we do. Then Phantom performed. After the reprise, he looked over at her and tears streaked her cheeks. When the show ended, he asked did she like it? “Yes,” she said. “But I don’t know why.” We know why. Spine-tingling.

Crossmen ’96 at rehearsal finals week – Crossmen were staying west of Orlando at some huge high school that had scheduled orientation or some such event that brought hundreds, if not thousands, of kids to campus. Among the students were the school’s cheerleaders, decked out in full uniform and ready to assert their position in the social hierarchy. Most of the kids were either disinterested in the Crossmen’s rehearsals or so pre-occupied with their school agenda that they paid no attention. Not the cheerleaders. Traveling in packs, they seized the opportunity to make fun of the “band” for anyone – mostly themselves – who would listen.

When it came time to hit the field for ensemble, many of the cheerleaders followed. From behind the goal line, they mocked the guard by pretending to spin flags and rifles, pointing and laughing as they did. Then as Crossmen set to run Birdland, their goal-line tormentors began to wander off across the back sideline. The music started, and the cheerleaders halted for another jab. This time, though, their body language wasn’t so assertive. It was obvious they weren’t so sure any more. So they stopped. And listened. And watched.

Soon, it was something else altogether. Disarmed by the happy strains of Birdland and the flash of the flags, the cheerleaders were now interested in what they saw and heard. When they pointed, it was at something special. When they talked, it was to praise (it seemed). The tune ended. They stood still as if waiting for more. When they left, there was no joking, no pantomime. Respect? I think so. Spine-tingling.

Finally, every finals when America/O'Canada was played. Is it possible for a spine not to tingle when the 12 best corps enter on the O'Canada crescendo? I don't think so. 30,000 spines tingling.

HH

So many shows to choose from... but here are the ones I'm thinking of right now...

2006 Phantom Regiment... the ENTIRE show! If you listen to the music judge option on the DVD... he gets so emotional about it that even that brought me to tears! GO PR!!!

1998 Crossmen - that color guard was flawless!!! and i LOVE Pat Metheny's music... just an all around awesome show. it never grows old!

1992 Cadets - WOW

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard - the whole show is awesome, but the end with the company front brings me to tears each time.

1993/1994/1995/1996/1997 Phantom Regiment - all of those are absolutely just fabulous!! and those color guards!! YES!!

I have to throw in another one.... Cadets 1989 - WOW!!! April Gilligan's color guard was SO ahead of their time and yet fit in so well with everyone else... I'm so glad they won guard that year.

In no particular order:

Phantom Regiment 2003 - Cannon Reprise...chills every time

Santa Clara 2000 - Adagio for Strings...specifially the final sustain - the entire piece was simply amazing

Glassmen 1999 - The unison hornline in the closser (at about 10:00)

Phantom Regiment 1993 - Fire of Eternal Glory - the 5 euph notes into the main push (at about 7:38)

Madison Scouts 1988 - Malaguena - the 360 turn into the wedge

I was lucky enough to experience the first 3 live, but the last two are so powerful that its hard not to be affected by them.

Phantom ’94 and Claire de Lune (which means “moonlight” and which will be important to the story) - Phantom’s Claire de Lune was a wonderful ballad that ended with the corps facing backfield, horns raised to the lip of the backfield stands. The tune tugged our hearts on any night. But on final’s night, something happened for the ages. There, amid those familiar, plaintiff, final chords, the bells of Phantom’s brass pointed perfectly to a bright round moon rising over the stands as if summoned by the melody. The music of the night, indeed. Unforgettable. Spine-tingling.

Thanks! Yeah, that was pretty cool from our perspective too... (Although my ADD also happened to kick in and I caught myself thinking," Cool... I can see us on the Jumbotron...") Also, during one of the regionals, the crowd was so quiet at the end that we could actually hear a phone ringing up in the press box.

5. Madison Scouts 1998 - End of "Remembrance"

4. Star 1991 - Very end of the show....you know what it was

3. Phantom Regiment 1996 - Last minute of the show

2. Madison Scouts 1995 - Malaga...enough said

1. Madison Scouts 1997 - Anything from the shipwreck portion in the middle of the show to the end....I love this show!

There are so many shows I like, but these are just a few that I like, and aren't necessarily my favorites, but I just can't really pick just 5 great moments in shows.