Top 5 Spine-Tingling Moments of All-Time

In particular order...

1. MAXIMUM GOOSE BUMPAGE - It starts with a tympani hit, followed by 3 wailing sopranos (it might be, it could be...) THEN BAAA BAAA BAAA BAAA BAAA BAAAAAAAAA (IT IS!!!!!). LA FIESTA. 1984 Blue Devils. In the words of Bill Cosby, "My body became one...giant...goose pimple."

2. PRETTY ###### SERIOUS BUMPS - 1985 Garfield Cadets, Make Our Garden Grow - Beautiful massive chords terminated with THOSE RELEASES!!!! Oh my...

3. NOT BAD BUMPS FOR A DRUM SOLO - 1986 Blue Devils - the open snare roll in Channel One Suite. They added an 8-count 180 degree turn to the back and a reverse turn back to the front with accents on 2 and 4 just for finals AND STILL PLAYED IT AS CLEAN AS THEY HAD ALL YEAR. SOOOOOO BAD-###.

4. GOOSEBUMPS JUST THINKING ABOUT IT - the aforementioned 1984 Suncoast Sound Vietnam tribute. Just WOW.

5. YOU CAN HEAR THE GOOSEBUMPS ON THE RECORDING - 1983 Garfield Cadets - Rocky Point Holiday. The whole thing. Both times. Now THAT is excitement. Frenzied. Agitated. Dangerous.

Honorable mention to 2004 SCV, 1988 Madison, 1984 Cadets (really should be up there somewhere), Mike Collins - The Note in Spanish Fantasy 1986, 85 Cadets - Jeremiah where the horns are playing backfield and the drumline is wailing on this really kick-### stuff as they march toward the front, 1984 Madison Scouts - Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. PRETTY ###### SERIOUS BUMPS - 1985 Garfield Cadets, Make Our Garden Grow - Beautiful massive chords terminated with THOSE RELEASES!!!! Oh my...

Yes. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

These are some of mine

1989 - Phantom playing Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral with the Kansas City Symphony

1989 - Phantom's Final show from the 'S' to the end

1993 - Phantom playing Amazing Grace on Ornaments in Brass

1994 - Phantom playing Claire De Lune at the Dallas show

This one needs a little more explanation. This was one of those incredibly rare moments. The moon in the sky looked exactly like what the color guard had on their flags (full moon with some clouds in the way). The amazing thing was how absolutely silent the crowd was. It was almost as if the crowd was even holding its breath. Even now, I still get chills from this.

Edited by SpookyKid

Crown's "Big Noise" encore in 05.

####.

~>conner

These are some of mine

1989 - Phantom playing Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral with the Kansas City Symphony

This one needs a little more explanation. This was one of those incredibly rare moments. The moon in the sky looked exactly like what the color guard had on their flags (full moon with some clouds in the way). The amazing thing was how absolutely silent the crowd was. It was almost as if the crowd was even holding its breath. Even now, I still get chills from this.

I remember when we went to rehearse with the orchestra the string players started stuffing their ears with cotton when we really let loose. Was an absolute blast and one of the highlights of a great season

These are some of mine

Spook, I don't know who you are but I'll say the same thing I told Mike (right name? previous post). You just made my life, man! I was in the '94 corps. Special treat for you in memory of your late wife--I was also in the '92 SkyRyders.

Another special treat just for you since you mentioned my year! Oh, and Dallas was my home show--thanks! I don't know if you ever heard about our experience at Finals with the moon, but here goes.

It rained all week. Nasty stuff. Gillette is heaven compared to Foxboro. They sprayed green stuff on the ground to make it look like grass on camera. What is it with grass north of New York? Oh, and 1/4's was on Wed, Semis on Friday and Finals on Sat to accomodate Thursday night Patriots pre-season game. Just contributed to the field conditions. 1/4's was rained out after Scouts, PR, and Vanguard performed due to weather. The top 3 did not go on.

Remember, we're talking about a corps in all white. I don't mean to jinx future corps members, but falls are not permissible when the green sticks to you.

So we get to Finals performance, and you remember the guard uniforms, right?? Wow! You should have seen our reactions the first night they came out at the Kennedy School wearing them. Ouch! Great looking guard. And we do that nifty little kneel down and face back field stage right at the end of Clair de Lune, right?

Lo and behold, the clouds cleared and there it was--a FULL MOON!!! Tell me someone planned that out in advance, checked the lunar table on the calendar, flew to Boston and scoped out the stadium at 10:45pm, or whatever, cuz that was just too cool! The closer that night was absolutely spectacular, and to this day I can't help but think it was because you couldn't help but notice the moon! What a boost.

Oh, I was one of the guys who got to dance around with a guard member and do that fancy little lift thingy--that was kind of cool.

Come to think of it, you guys look for the new post. See if you can top that for cool--lining up the heavens with a DCI performance! Twice according to SpookyKid!!

SUTA, brother!

1993/1994/1995/1996/1997 Phantom Regiment - all of those are absolutely just fabulous!! and those color guards!! YES!!

Wow! Three mentions of PR '94! I'm going to name my three first born Mike, Spook, and Will. I hope I don't have any girls or they'll just have to deal with it!

Thanks, guys! I've been away from the activity for several years and just came back in on a more regular basis in the last couple of years. Probably beginning with the spring DCI countdown and 1/4's at the movies. I've always been a little bit disappointed with the show selection that year other than Clair de Lune. Anybody familiar with '93/'94 knows they basically followed the same formula. Ironically, they got the same placement and same score, too. I always wanted to march an '89 or '93, my only year to march top 12 was '94, and I conveniently aged out in '95. Great timing, right?

So three posts about the '94 corps in one thread is pretty special to at least one person!

If I've missed anybody else's posts, don't worry I'll get there. And you'll probably hear me blubbering again! But my gosh, my poor wife!!

Thanks! Yeah, that was pretty cool from our perspective too... (Although my ADD also happened to kick in and I caught myself thinking," Cool... I can see us on the Jumbotron...") Also, during one of the regionals, the crowd was so quiet at the end that we could actually hear a phone ringing up in the press box.

Hey, Corey--another former Buick, former SkyRyder! Rosey here. What the hell is that formula at the bottom of your post? LMAO, really--but WTF???

Sorry to bore all the rest of you with unrelated drivel.

I'd also like to mention that famous sop entrance in Xmen '92...there to the end of the piece were unbelievable.

Same with the Phantom '94 ballad in its entirety, seriously. Wow.

####, that's 5! Pretty impressive to see someone marching in the 2000's looking way back to the early 90's and mentioning Xmen. '92 was pretty spectacular for them. Nice to have them in Texas now, thanks to GH.

I was in Sky in '92 and we toured in DCEast with Cadets and Crossmen extensively. That was the show of the year, IMO. Disappointing even year for PR--they did that there for a while. Boy, that was a hot year!

Good choices, guys! I kind of liked the "Elements" number. Don't even remember if that was the title, but the one with the silks representing Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water. I said they should do Birdland several years later. Prophetic. Of course, I also think they should have followed up the Metheney with Yanni. Oh, well...

Oh, I saw '95 PR on your all-time favorites list. Didn't march, but it was my age-out. Definitely, DEFINITELY march your age-out. Sell your soul, take off a semester, get a credit card--scratch that, don't get a credit card, give plasma--but march your age-out. I've still got a box of crap I need to go leave on the field some time...