2005 Carolina Crown

05 Crown hornline

:laugh: FTW :doh:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

05 was great because of the clarity of that show in the hornline. I wouldn't say they were underrated at all that year. I think that the 06 show should have placed higher, but 05 was a 7th place show and drum corps. I don't think that hornline would have been as clear as they were if they were playing a challenging book like Phantom or BD. However, the 06 corps had a top 4 hornline. I gotta believe that with addition of Lee Beddis and his staff, the corps is going to get a surge simply based off the fact that the corps will not outplace the percussion by 5+ placements.

Anyone can play eigth notes clean. Which is exactly what Crown 05 was. They played thier eight notes very, very clean. Good for them. And good for them challenging themselves even further this past year. But I think it's arguable that the 06 line was clear, yes, but not as clear as the 05 line, simply because of the increased difficulty of the book (Which still didn't come close to the power lines of the coats, devils, cavies, regiment, or even cadets).

Anyone can go "breathe-dah". I want a hornline that can go "breathe-dabadabadabadabada lots of other notes" and STILL play clean.

Great start Crown. You're good. But you've got a long road until you hit the top.

and I am saying that any amount of praise isn't enough for this amazing hornline. :worthy:

get

over

yourself

This is the one of the most underrated hornline/horn staff that I have ever heard.

Underrated? Fight the urge a little harder next time. :P

Edited by Maedhros

Was it Bill Parcells who said, "You are what your record is..." ??

Crown 05 had a nice hornline, certainly their best to that point, but in the end, we're talking about 7th in brass. Good. Very good. Not great.

In this great "sport" that we call DCI... a corps that looks dirty on the field will NEVER be in the top five in anything. 05 Crown sounds better than 05 Anyone Else... they aren't what their record is, they are: Carolina Crown, and the fact that their name is "Carolina Crown" is the only reason that they finished 7th in brass. A corps that isn't near the top in everything, will be near the top in nothing... that is proven every year.

2005 was kind of a palate cleansing year for me with Crown, as parts of 2004 kind of let me down ...the 04 opener is still great fun, though.

It certainly set up the 2006 production nicely...my favorite from this year as far as brass books go.

In this great "sport" that we call DCI...

DCI is not a sport.

a corps that looks dirty on the field will NEVER be in the top five in anything.

True.

05 Crown sounds better than 05 Anyone Else...

No, actually, they didn't.

they aren't what their record is,

No, they pretty much were. Seventh in brass was just about right. A very good hornline. Not great.

they are: Carolina Crown, and the fact that their name is "Carolina Crown" is the only reason that they finished 7th in brass. A corps that isn't near the top in everything, will be near the top in nothing... that is proven every year.

Because it's more or less true...corps who finish 7th and 8th don't normally have one section that is as good (or better than) the top 3 corps. And Crown was just another in that long list. A very good corps who had a fine year. But not the 'Second Coming' of anything.