Flag tosses

When you say flag toss, was it a full rotation or half of one? I would love to see the video or a picture.....not that I don't believe you, but I like having visual proof to back me up when the conversation comes up again.

Not being a guard member but a horn player I am not 100% certain of the terminology but I do remember they would wrap the flags tightly on the pikes, then spin them in a vertical plane next to there bodies before tossing to another guard member. The pikes were rotating while tossing.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being a guard member but a horn player I am not 100% certain of the terminology but I do remember they would wrap the flags tightly on the pikes, then spin them in a vertical plane next to there bodies before tossing to another guard member. The pikes were rotating while tossing.

Sounds like a toss exchange.....very cool!

A lot guards got many moves from the military. If you check out the Marines Drill Team you will see some things that I believe started the idea of tossing/exchanging equipement.

As far as who was the first guard to move them, you have to give credit to the Italian Flag Hurlers. They have documents that go back as far as 1637. A CODICE = a ancient book named "L'ARTE DI MANEGGIAR L'INSEGNA = the art of flag handling. In this book with images are described movements, tecnique, ect. It was considered as a special sport useful to prepare to the use of the sword.

As you can tell I am very passionate about guard. B)

Ya know we did have a move similar to that but it was taken out. Where you tossed the flag (out of your right hand) and caught it with your right leg. We used the left hand to support the pole end on the catch. It was kind of cool, but one of those 50/50 moves where many members couldn't do it consistently. :laugh:

Greg Horne of North Star could do a triple with a rifle and catch it in the crook of his leg ("Look, Ma, no hands").

Wanda from Quasar did some amazing solo flag things, including rolling the pole the length of her torso. ( I think it was Wanda that first did this).

Quasar's 83 indoor show (to Respighi's "Festa Romana") is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen, with the kites and bolts of fabric at the end. Also very cool because, in spite of all the spectacle, they didn't pick up any other stuff-just one silk, one rifle, one sabre.

That same year, the Cavies (007 show) did a flag trick I still can't figure out. The pole was slid along the floor by he butt end and seemed to change direction (from 1 and 7 on the clock to 5 and 11, if that makes sense) in transit. I still don't know how they did it. I often wonder how many teenage girls' (or boys') hormones went into overdrive due to that show.

That same year, the Cavies (007 show) did a flag trick I still can't figure out. The pole was slid along the floor by he butt end and seemed to change direction (from 1 and 7 on the clock to 5 and 11, if that makes sense) in transit. I still don't know how they did it. I often wonder how many teenage girls' (or boys') hormones went into overdrive due to that show.

Let me check out that video of Cavies '83.....I kind of remember what you are talking about.

I loved that show! :laugh:

Quasar's 83 indoor show (to Respighi's "Festa Romana") is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen, with the kites and bolts of fabric at the end. Also very cool because, in spite of all the spectacle, they didn't pick up any other stuff-just one silk, one rifle, one sabre.

Never saw the Cavies trick - sounds awesome.

My favorite Quasar show was the "Styx" show. The first time we saw the red, yellow and black flags with the "tails" later used by 27th. There was so much freaking color out on the floor, I thought someone must have put acid in my soda!!!!! Unbelievable. And I saw that show about 50 times!!!

Is it just me - or were guards "trickier" during the tick era (which is weird when you think about it).

I love what guards are doing today (especially Phantom recently) - but man we had some crazy tricks and exchanges back then. I remember doing a rotating flag rifle block while doing constant exchanges for 64 counts!

Later,

Mike

Tricks are making a small comeback, but they have been (relatively) out of favor for many years.

Hope someone chimes in about the Cavies 83 trick - I have watched it so many times and still can't figure it out.

Unless they are doing what it looks like - sliding the butt of the flag pole across the floor until it hits the feet of the seated members, at which time it flips and is caught by a third member.

83 was an amazing year for WGI. I encourage all fans to get the Fan Favorites DVDs from WGI - great stuff!

Is it just me - or were guards "trickier" during the tick era (which is weird when you think about it).

I think today's choreography and drill happen so quickly that the big "tricks" that are there don't really stand out as they once did. Can you imagine taking the time in today's fast-paced drills to set-up and stage something like a Rockford file or 27th's grand toss? I sometimes wish everything would slow down just a bit so we'd have time to enjoy interesting moves like those, as well as the drill "pictures" that were favored in years past.

I think today's choreography and drill happen so quickly that the big "tricks" that are there don't really stand out as they once did. Can you imagine taking the time in today's fast-paced drills to set-up and stage something like a Rockford file or 27th's grand toss? I sometimes wish everything would slow down just a bit so we'd have time to enjoy interesting moves like those, as well as the drill "pictures" that were favored in years past.

Or a sunburst...