Vets Getting Cut

It seems most corps have policies that all vets must audition with everyone else.

However - I don't think I've ever heard of a returning vet not making the cut.

1. Are there corps that say returning vets automatically have a spot if they want it?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a returning vet not making the cut?

My personal opinion is that loyalty and experience should be rewarded with an

automatic spot, even if there are rookies with more raw talent.

(Of course, there should be conditions - like making a certain numbers of camps,

paying dues on time, etc).

I know people personally who haven't made the cut as a vet.

I understand loyalties, but I certainly understand why a corps would want to take the people that they feel are best for the job, regardless of previous marching experience.

As much as I would say vets should get a spot, sometimes you have to let new blood in. In addition to playing and marching abilities, I'd say attitude would do the trick. Some vets come back to audition but due to their acts or attitude the previous season, they may not be welcome. Also, sometimes you can be hurting for numbers one year and be willing to contract anyone, and the next you may get an ideal for every spot filled at the first camp.

It seems most corps have policies that all vets must audition with everyone else.

However - I don't think I've ever heard of a returning vet not making the cut.

1. Are there corps that say returning vets automatically have a spot if they want it?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a returning vet not making the cut?

My personal opinion is that loyalty and experience should be rewarded with an

automatic spot, even if there are rookies with more raw talent.

(Of course, there should be conditions - like making a certain numbers of camps,

paying dues on time, etc).

Both corps I have marched have cut vets (albeit rarely) for usually one of a few reasons, most of which involve a) attitude, or b ) completely being unable to play the instrument since august.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

Yes, vets do get cut for various reasons. No one is immune, no matter how many years you put in. Generally, it comes down to attitude (and ever rissing talent levels).

I think that policy is mainly in place for tickboxes... you know, kids who play great at their audition and all winter, and then totally fall apart when you put them on the field, and then on the road.

I heard BD does not cut vets, but don't quote me on that.

I think that policy is mainly in place for tickboxes... you know, kids who play great at their audition and all winter, and then totally fall apart when you put them on the field, and then on the road.

One of my friends tried out for Bluecoats, got beat out by a vet who hadn't touched an instrument since DCI finals.

One of my friends tried out for Bluecoats, got beat out by a vet who hadn't touched an instrument since DCI finals.

Okay, and that certainly happens, too.

That's where other factors come in- Has this vet consistently been perfect on the field? How many years have they marched? Have they had leadership positions? Maybe they're going to be made a drum major?

And then, how good is your friend?

There's many factors. Generally, whatever the staff does (at least, when we're talking about staffs that are of the Bluecoats caliber that clearly know what they're doing), that's correct- they're making the best decisions for the corps possible, and that probably involved cutting your friend. Which sucks. I've been cut before, but when I was cut, it was very justifiable.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

vets dont have to re-audition at devs.. at least this year they didnt have to

Yeah, and if you play more, it automatically makes you a better player/marcher than people who have played less than you in a three month period.... oh wait.. no... no it doesn't...

in 2005, 7 vets got cut from bluecoats.... if your friend got cut, it means there were that many people there that were just better than him, and if he wants a spot he should earn it like everyone else instead of complaining about vets that have already proved they can get the job done well.

• Like 1