Vets Getting Cut

Yes...I have a couple of friends that were cut AS VETS. Really sucks--in my opinion--but see, I'm starting to be going down the "old fart" lane because of my age and where I come from. I understand the reasons, and the corps want the best. OK...that's nice. Still think it sucks.

And I CERTAINLY hope those talented vets realize that the JOY OF PERFORMING can still be had ELSEWHERE, be it all age or Div II/III. I know of several corps that sure could use the help--and it's STILL CORPS!!!

vets should and do get a spotlight. They've been through at least one summer with a corps and they staff knows if they can or can't cut it.

BUT!---

There should be no absolute statement like "vets don't get cut". That makes all other variables obsolete (sp?). Vets need to hold the expecations that the corps has of them.

• Like 1

certainly in Regiment I've seen vets cut. Sometimes because they took a year off and the raw talent of the new folks is just better, or attitude issues/etc. However, if there are extenuating circumstances (like myself; I was out of the country with no access to a horn basicially from finals to auditions) sometimes vets will be allowed back in, providing that they improve dramaticially by next camp. It's not like the first auditions set all of the members, actually in my experience most of the spots are set by seeing how people improve from camp to camp.

• Like 1

Okay, and that certainly happens, too.

That's where other factors come in- Has this vet consistently been perfect on the field? How many years have they marched? Have they had leadership positions? Maybe they're going to be made a drum major?

And then, how good is your friend?

There's many factors. Generally, whatever the staff does (at least, when we're talking about staffs that are of the Bluecoats caliber that clearly know what they're doing), that's correct- they're making the best decisions for the corps possible, and that probably involved cutting your friend. Which sucks. I've been cut before, but when I was cut, it was very justifiable.

My friend marched next to me since the caption head couldn't make up his mind on who was better. This year, my friend is marching at SCV.

if a vet was cut that wanted to march, the last rookie to be kept would have to be so noticably better (ridiculously better) that there would be absolutely no other option... then again, that vet might be moved to a different instrument in that example... i think that that happens a lot... i have never seen a vet be cut (who was showed that they actually wanted a spot), and i have heard some pretty unprepared auditions from vets that ended up making it/some pretty smokin' rookie auditions that got them cut... i'm not saying anything, i'm just saying.

i've marched with some guys that had a horrible attitude. one never listened to instruction, ###### everyone off constantly, and always talked about how much they wanted to go home. i can't believe he actually came back for auditions the next year. good player, but obviously didn't make the cut. don't know anything for sure, but i'm preeeetty sure it was simply because of attitude.

another guy was just your average drum corps kid his rookie year, then when he was a two-year, he became a total arrogant ########. sysys (second year six year syndrome). he thought he could tell ANYONE what to do, and treated the rookies horribly. he annoyed the other vets and the rookies stopped listening to him, so he couldn't do any real harm, but he was still a major source of bad attitude.

so anyways, i've never known a vet to get cut for playing/marching reason, just for poor attitude. i've seen vets get cut, and i've been very thankful that they were.

• Like 1

Vets almost always have the advantage at auditions. They know the corps, the director, the staff, the policies and proceedures - the whole 9 yards. The only time they usually get cut is when they screw up.

Yes. Vets can get cut. Infact a snare player who marched next to me got cut after his first show on tour after he had a freak out session out on the field back at school we were staying at after lights out. They sent him home on a plane that night on a red eye.

Mom

• Like 1

If I was a corps director, my policy would be to never cut vets. Obvious exceptions would be horrible attitudes, non-attendance and a few other things that would cause problems. But less talent than a rookie or can't play a horn as well as August? Bogus. There are such things as honor and loyalty.....and it goes both ways.

The only excuse for cutting a vet with heart is that your corps policy is "win at all costs". In that case, I hope you cut a vet and they go to your rival corps and kick you captial A all over the feild. Also, I hope the rookie you gave his/her positioin too sees that you have no dedication to your members and quits in death camp to attend a summer wind ensemble festival. In addition, I hope the vet scores it big in his/her career years later and makes a giant donation to his/her new home.

• Like 1

Yes. Vets can get cut. Infact a snare player who marched next to me got cut after his first show on tour after he had a freak out session out on the field back at school we were staying at after lights out. They sent him home on a plane that night on a red eye.

I've seen something similar to that also. That's an attitude issue. My question was really about

vets auditioning and obtaining a spot initially - not losing an already aquired spot due to attitude, etc.

• Like 1