Vets Getting Cut

I know of girls in guards like Phantom Regiment and Blue Devils who got cut because they let themselves go with their figure.

That makes sense. If you are in a position to be showing your figure off more so than other positions in the corps, physical shape should count as a factor, especially if they gain weight through winter camps.

Of course, the rest of the corps should be held to that same standard.

I'm so fat right now. I should be running instead of posting on this forum :laugh:

That makes sense. If you are in a position to be showing your figure off more so than other positions in the corps, physical shape should count as a factor, especially if they gain weight through winter camps.

Of course, the rest of the corps should be held to that same standard.

I'm so fat right now. I should be running instead of posting on this forum :laugh:

Not sure how I feel about cutting girls becuase of weight.

But if a corps is going to use shape and weight an element for cutting members, then they should let the members know ahead of time what the requirements are. I know that many drill team and majorette directors have a chart they go by so girls can plan accordingly.

Although I still have problems with the way we expect girls to be thin and the eating disorders it leads to in this country. :(

what about guys? is that ok?

If it will affect performance, it should be taken into consideration.

I didn't mean to exclude guys, just usually don't hear about that, at least not as much.

As for "effect performance" I've seen some larger guard members move and handle equipment better than anyone else. If there are specific roles as in Phantom's show last year, I can see picking people for those specific spots based on who would portray the part best. But as far as ensemble is concrned it shouldn't be as much of a factor. Of course costumes also play a role in this. Some costumes are not so flattering to everyone; not just weight but also different shapes.

Also what is too big? 5, 15, or 30 lbs or more over weight?

But again I guess the guard should state ahead if they have any such requirements so individuals know what's going on.

Edited by shawn craig

As for "effect performance" I've seen some larger guard members move and handle equipment better than anyone else. If there are specific roles as in Phantom's show last year, I can see picking people for those specific spots based on who would portray the part best. But as far as ensemble is concrned it shouldn't be as much of a factor. Of course costumes also play a role in this. Some costumes are not so flattering to everyone; not just weight but also different shapes.

agree completely =)

If you can do everything that's required, you should be good to go.

In my opinion, if there was someone else trying out that was better than me, whether it was a rookie or not, I should have got the boot. I'm sure I could have tried for another section, but otherwise, send me packing. And realize that this was back when we were 28th in '85, 15th in '86, and 11th in '87 & '88. So it's not just an "upper echelon" corps situation in my opinion. And I don't consider it as the corps lacking loyalty or appreciation for the member. Even then, with us placing where we did, the corps wants to improve and the best way to do it is with the best possible members.

I don't see how you can say that the the corps isn't lacking loyalty or appreciation of the members when they're willing to cut them just because an incoming rookie has more talent.

I'm all for improving the corps, but not at the expense of using people when it suits the corps' purpose and giving them the boot when they don't.

Sorry - I just don't think you should use people for any reason - and of all reasons - just for the chance of potentially making a music group sound and look better. Boy, that's a noble reason to use somone. [not]

I don't see how you can say that the the corps isn't lacking loyalty or appreciation of the members when they're willing to cut them just because an incoming rookie has more talent.

I'm all for improving the corps, but not at the expense of using people when it suits the corps' purpose and giving them the boot when they don't.

Sorry - I just don't think you should use people for any reason - and of all reasons - just for the chance of potentially making a music group sound and look better. Boy, that's a noble reason to use somone. [not]

I scoped out the Bridgemen's website awhile back and found out an interesting point in their history. Seems like Bobby Hoffeman wanted to bring in his own "hot chicks" on rifle and the Bayonne girls got bumped....temporarily.....it didn't sit too well with the members. How do you spell mutiny? :)

Edited by Piper