Vets Getting Cut

If I was a corps director, my policy would be to never cut vets. Obvious exceptions would be horrible attitudes, non-attendance and a few other things that would cause problems. But less talent than a rookie or can't play a horn as well as August? Bogus. There are such things as honor and loyalty.....and it goes both ways.

The only excuse for cutting a vet with heart is that your corps policy is "win at all costs". In that case, I hope you cut a vet and they go to your rival corps and kick you captial A all over the feild. Also, I hope the rookie you gave his/her positioin too sees that you have no dedication to your members and quits in death camp to attend a summer wind ensemble festival. In addition, I hope the vet scores it big in his/her career years later and makes a giant donation to his/her new home.

Wow. Shall we have a lynching as well? :P

If I was a corps director, my policy would be to never cut vets. Obvious exceptions would be horrible attitudes, non-attendance and a few other things that would cause problems. But less talent than a rookie or can't play a horn as well as August? Bogus. There are such things as honor and loyalty.....and it goes both ways.

The only excuse for cutting a vet with heart is that your corps policy is "win at all costs". In that case, I hope you cut a vet and they go to your rival corps and kick you captial A all over the feild. Also, I hope the rookie you gave his/her positioin too sees that you have no dedication to your members and quits in death camp to attend a summer wind ensemble festival. In addition, I hope the vet scores it big in his/her career years later and makes a giant donation to his/her new home.

That says it all. Human qualities like loyalty and dedication DO matter. Talent is always nice to have, but that doesn't mean that a person can survive a tour.

The only excuse for cutting a vet with heart is that your corps policy is "win at all costs".

I agree.

I'm trying to find out if there are corps out there that will sacrifice vets with heart and good attitudes

to get a rookie with more talent. If there are corps that do that - it royally sucks of them to do that.

If they do that, they are just using people.

Someone above said that Bluecoats cut 7 vets in 2005 - I hope it was for some other reason than

just some rookies having more talent. I would be very disappointed in my alma mater if I find out

that they've adopted the "win at all costs" attitude.

Edited by bartyount
  • Like 1

That says it all. Human qualities like loyalty and dedication DO matter. Talent is always nice to have, but that doesn't mean that a person can survive a tour.

If memory serves, there was little worse than a vet with a ###### attitude who felt like their spot was an entitlement. And I remember a couple of them. Some of these people didn't try as a hard as rookies did...didn't practice as hard, etc. Eventually, you get called on it...or they let you stay and the group suffers for it.

If the person needs to go, they need to go. Doesn't matter how long they've been with the organization. It's a tough choice, but it's a choice a group has to make sometimes. One bad apple...I'd rather get rid of a person that just isn't going to work out (for whatever reason, but principally attitude) than let the whole thing get ruined by talk within the informal hierarchy of the group. or how so and so doesn't deserve to be there, but is anyway.

Getting cut is part of life. Sometimes, getting cut can be the best thing that ever happens to you. It can make you evaluate things and make different choices.

• Like 1

I've marched with people who were cut as vets or made it to move-ins and got cut. I didn't ask why they were cut, no sense in opening old wounds not to mention its more important that they are now with an ensemble that wanted them. It sucks but it reminds me of a saying I've heard, "Your spot in this drum corps is not finalized until after your last performance."

• Like 1

I think maybe not having vets re-audtion might be ok, but when it comes to cutting vets... sometimes it needs to be done. I don't want to stand next to a vet who has a horrible attitude and doesn't work when I could have a rookie who is enjoying it and committing 100% to everything.

Cutting a vet to me is cool as long as its based on other things besides playing... like overall work ethic, attitude, and commitment.

my $0.02

• Like 1

I think you have to consider this also.... and it's along the same lines as what most are saying... but is a vet a bigger liability than a rookie would be? Basically, is/did the vet do something that would warrant them not being an as good of a choice to add to the corps as would a rookie.

If a vet isn't living up to the expectations of the corps, then they should be able to be cut. For most, this isn't an issue, but I've seen people make the corps, march a few summers, and then do nothing to make themselves better since they were guaranteed a spot each winter even as the rest of the talent increased around them. There should be an expectation of what it takes to be in one of those 135 spots.

If you let a vet that isn't working during the offseason, or isn't trying to improve him or herself into a spot automatically, then what are you saying to the rest of the corps? It's okay to not quite be at the level that we expect? If you have to unfortunately cut a vet, that sets a high value for those spots.

Vets have to live up to the expectations of everyone else, even if they did march a summer or two.

I'm not for cutting vets, but I totally understand why it has to happen in some situations.

• Like 1

Yes, vets do get cut for various reasons. No one is immune, no matter how many years you put in. Generally, it comes down to attitude (and ever rissing talent levels).

Yes, this is what I have seen too in the past. They always told us it's not so much your talent but your attitude that counts. A number of times vets were asked not to come back because of poor attitudes.