Vets Getting Cut

I think it's fine when people cut vets... More than likely, the reason for them doing it is because at auditions they couldn't see how the member would relate to the field... After a summer the staff may decide that it was not in the corps' best interest to have that person on the field due to either chemisty or lack of better words "tick box-ness." If there is a rookie who is better than this type of vet, all the more power to them. I think the best person for the spot is who needs to be on the field.

Yes.

More often than you might think. Most corps, especially those in the top 5, only care about having the best members on the field that give the corps the best chance to win a ring.
Not to mention being able to cough up the tour fees!

I think drum corps has lost its way if there are people out there who think its OK to make a returning member a- audition again just to keep thier spot (not move up to another position) and b- can justify cutting a veteran.

There's 135 spots if Tommy hasn't got the chops to play lead, then move him to second or third, but not out the door.

I'm reading posts in this thread from a whole generation that doesn't have a clue about loyalty. They are taught this is acceptable by us and shame on us.

Regards,

John Swartz

Edited by sarnia sam

I think drum corps has lost its way if there are people out there who think its OK to make a returning member a- audition again just to keep thier spot (not move up to another position) and b- can justify cutting a veteran.

There's 135 spots if Tommy hasn't got the chops to play lead, then move him to second or third, but not out the door.

I'm reading posts in this thread from a whole generation that doesn't have a clue about loyalty. They are taught this is acceptable by us and shame on us.

Regards,

John Swartz

Any if Tommy had attitude issues all last summer, sign him anyway? And if he hasn't played his horn once since finals and now doesn't have the chops to play second or third at the level that drum corps requires...sign him anyway?

There's difference about being loyal and holding the standards that drum corps requires. I do have a clue about loyalty.

Regards,

John Swartz

I see loyalty as working both ways. If it's obvious that a member comes back to auditions without playing his horn since finals, what does that say about his or her commitment and loyalty to the corps?

I agree that vets should be given preference, but never cutting a vet? Sorry, I don't agree with that policy at all. How is it justifiable to sign a member comes back and has not only not gotten better, but has actually regressed in his or her playing abilities? Barring some extreme circumstances (such as a person traveling abroad with no access to a horn), why should that person be allowed back into a corps he or she doesn't even have the respect for to keep up his or her chops?

I marched next to a vet last year who didn't know his mouthpiece from his bell, had a tone that sounded like a weedeater, had terrible posture, and kept making excuses to miss rehearsal. In short, he had a terrible attitude, and even though he was a vet from '03 and '05, he should have not been marching.

A member has to be loyal to the corps before the corps' loyal to the member.

Well what about Carolina Crown? This year they agged out 6 people from their horn line :( . If all the vets came back would it really be fair for the non vets?

Easy there sir. I have had a huge passion for this activity that we love for 22 years now. I have an incredible amount of loyalty to my corps I marched with and love. (which happens to be Crown). However, I also live in the reality that some vets become complacent with the fact that they believe they are "automatically in".

If you marched lead, and you have sat on your butt and not improved since the last summer, and their are 24 other kids that want your spot in the section, and have worked their butts off, then they deserve the shot. If you have sat around and didn't work hard in the off season, then how are you being loyal to your corps? In the end, it is about getting better everyday isn't it? Shame on you.