Vets Getting Cut

My friend marched next to me since the caption head couldn't make up his mind on who was better. This year, my friend is marching at SCV.

Perhaps he had a bad audition.

Or perhaps the corps that he marched at with you isn't as good as the Bluecoats.

Or maybe you aren't very good either :P

The case I would have a problem with is if you have a vet (Johnny) in corps A (pick your favorite 6-10 that would really like to crack the top 5) who works his butt off and is a decent marcher and player (i.e. not a tickbox) and has a good attitude, but just doesn't have the talent to make corps B that has won a ring before and contends for one every year (pick your favorite). Hypothetically let's say corps A has a great turnout and gets the talent level of say corps B veterans (but they are rookies, let's say they are absolute drum corps rookies). Johnny's just not as talented as these newcomers, but should he lose a spot in the corps to one of these new guys? Absolutely not! There is indeed risk in committing to a hotshot rookie because he might actually be a tickbox on tour, but definitely moreso that the corps actually should support their good-standing vets. Yes, win at all costs, does this mean cut Johnny for his ageout? These newcomers can and should wait their turn.

The case I would have a problem with is if you have a vet (Johnny) in corps A (pick your favorite 6-10 that would really like to crack the top 5) who works his butt off and is a decent marcher and player (i.e. not a tickbox) and has a good attitude, but just doesn't have the talent to make corps B that has won a ring before and contends for one every year (pick your favorite). Hypothetically let's say corps A has a great turnout and gets the talent level of say corps B veterans (but they are rookies, let's say they are absolute drum corps rookies). Johnny's just not as talented as these newcomers, but should he lose a spot in the corps to one of these new guys? Absolutely not! There is indeed risk in committing to a hotshot rookie because he might actually be a tickbox on tour, but definitely moreso that the corps actually should support their good-standing vets. Yes, win at all costs, does this mean cut Johnny for his ageout? These newcomers can and should wait their turn.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a corps that would do that.

Johnny would probably find himself on probation - the staff's way of letting him know that he needs to show he is still working his butt off, and improving (not complacent). I wouldn't be suprissed if at least a handfull of these newcomers were asked back as well, and then they were all forced to compete against eachother for spots. Then, whoever showed they wanted it the most after the first camps would have a drill spot in the spring, and the others would be alternates with a high liklihood of seeing the field before the summer was over.

Any if Tommy had attitude issues all last summer, sign him anyway?

I can think of an entire drumline that would get cut for attitude issues, if that's the criteria for abandoning a member of the family. but then drum corps would have been deprived of its greatest trivia questions. Where I come from you take that person under your wing and show them the path to greatness.

And if he hasn't played his horn once since finals and now doesn't have the chops to play second or third at the level that drum corps requires...sign him anyway?

You can't possibly be serious that a returning vet who has layed off for a couple of months can't get his/her chops back in shape by March, or sooner. That's just the most ridiculous reason for cutting someone who has already proven they belong.

I really can't believe the callous attitude most of the posters have in this thread to jettisoning a corps member who might not measure up to a rookie. If someone loses a soloist position to a new person who plays better, or a weak snare has to move over to play bass or plates, big deal. Someone made the decision to let that person be a member previously and it's just not right to tell a veteran they can't belong anymore because they can't cut thier previous position in the new season. It's a youth activitiy not the NFL. You don't trade a member of the family away because someone else looks better in November.

And being a contender for the title holds no water with me, the vet was already admited, you win or lose with the people you choose regardless of what year you chose them. Otherwise your loyalty to the members sucks buckets.

Regards,

John Swartz

Edited by sarnia sam

If I was a corps director, my policy would be to never cut vets. Obvious exceptions would be horrible attitudes, non-attendance and a few other things that would cause problems. But less talent than a rookie or can't play a horn as well as August? Bogus. There are such things as honor and loyalty.....and it goes both ways.

I'd certainly agree with that. Trouble-makers and slackers should be asked to leave, but if they're reliable and hard-working, I don't think they should ever lose their spot just because a rookie gives a better audition.

I can think of an entire drumline that would get cut for attitude issues, if that's the criteria for abandoning a member of the family. but then drum corps would have been deprived of its greatest trivia questions. Where I come from you take that person under your wing and show them the path to greatness.

You can't possibly be serious that a returning vet who has layed off for a couple of months can't get his/her chops back in shape by March, or sooner. That's just the most ridiculous reason for cutting someone who has already proven they belong.

I really can't believe the callous attitude most of the posters have in this thread to jettisoning a corps member who might not measure up to a rookie. If someone loses a soloist position to a new person who plays better, or a weak snare has to move over to play bass or plates, big deal. Someone made the decision to let that person be a member previously and it's just not right to tell a veteran they can't belong anymore because they can't cut thier previous position in the new season. It's a youth activitiy not the NFL. You don't trade a member of the family away because someone else looks better in November.

And being a contender for the title holds no water with me, the vet was already admited, you win or lose with the people you choose regardless of what year you chose them. Otherwise your loyalty to the members sucks buckets.

Regards,

John Swartz

It isn't about sending a vet packing because of a rookie. Again, another person misses the point. It is about dedication. If you are dedicated to a corps, and wish to make it your family, then you work hard 100% of the time, even and especially in the off season. If a vet comes in with a smug attitude and just wants to get by, why should they get a free pass? Because they are a vet? How is that fair or good for the organization? I have seen five year vets just "get by", and they are some of the ones that never "get it." If you are a dedicated, hard working, strong playing or flagging vet, then you will get your just reward, a spot in the corps.

So are we talking about ALL vets then?

For example.

members a, b, and c marched in the snareline in 05. The next year they were unable to afford it or whatever so they took the summer off. Then in 06 there are 9 snares. All 9 want to return for 07. But then the three from 05 want back in. They are vets too. Should they get an automatic spot? We will jsut march 12 snares then! Not to mention the 2 vets from 04 who came back. Now were up to 1r snares! not to mention the 50 talented kids who showed up and paid 75$ to audition. Out of those we have 6 kids who are Qualified in all areas to be in the line. 20 Snares! YAHOO!!!! I love it! (that would be pretty cool actually..lol)

If we start guaranteeing vets a spot, then we have to say ALL vets. Not just the ones we like. the only solution for retention, and keeping people sharp in the off season (in MY mind..)

is a complete and total OPEN audition. This also gives your corps the best shot at success. Is it ALL about winning? no.. but thats part of it too. The kids who come out want a chance to be competitive and its our job as staff to give them the best oppertunity to do so along with all of the other things we are supposed to do for them. To quote Bob Sugar "its not "Show Friends", its "Show Business. " And Dr. Spock said "The needs of the many , outweigh the needs of the few". (right after he went and spared himself so that the enterprise could get away from the genesis explosion)

If the audition period passes, and members have been sharp musically, visually, current on dues, and are dilligent, punctual, and rehearse well, then you gotta make a choice. If you have more people who meet that description than you have spots, well, thats part of our end of drum corps (staff people). You have to make hard decisions that are going to be good for some, and bad for others. This is when you get your bro-bro's from other drum corps on the phone and say "hey!, i got kids here. They are great candidates, we just dont have room for em all. What do you need?" and start filling up some other corps.

Good topic. Like everything else, its a matter of personal philosophy rather than a "Right and Wrong" situation.

Tony

USMC D&B 95-01 snare/quads/guns/recruiting/public relations

Brigaiders 04 Snare (check your stix)

Brigadiers 05 Quads (i love montreal)

Buccaneers 06- Quads

Edited by TastyWaves

In 2005 at SCV tons of vets got cut.... The talent was amazing and a lot of people got displaced from 04... kind of ironic how that works. At most div 1. top 5 corps if you don't pull your weight the atmopsphere is so competitive that you generally don't get any special treatment regardless of seniority.