Vets Getting Cut

I can think of an entire drumline that would get cut for attitude issues, if that's the criteria for abandoning a member of the family. but then drum corps would have been deprived of its greatest trivia questions. Where I come from you take that person under your wing and show them the path to greatness.

You can't possibly be serious that a returning vet who has layed off for a couple of months can't get his/her chops back in shape by March, or sooner. That's just the most ridiculous reason for cutting someone who has already proven they belong.

I really can't believe the callous attitude most of the posters have in this thread to jettisoning a corps member who might not measure up to a rookie. If someone loses a soloist position to a new person who plays better, or a weak snare has to move over to play bass or plates, big deal. Someone made the decision to let that person be a member previously and it's just not right to tell a veteran they can't belong anymore because they can't cut thier previous position in the new season. It's a youth activitiy not the NFL. You don't trade a member of the family away because someone else looks better in November.

And being a contender for the title holds no water with me, the vet was already admited, you win or lose with the people you choose regardless of what year you chose them. Otherwise your loyalty to the members sucks buckets.

Regards,

John Swartz

John - You do realize this is really not all that new I hope. Corps have cut members during tour before for holding a section back (not necessary attitude problems, but ability issues). This happened during the 80's in top corps. While I don't agree with the practice, I'm just pointing out this is not new. The tone of your posts (i.e., that the activity has lost it's way and such) seems to imply that this is just something new.

If there are people better than you, they will take your spot... simple as that

The discussion is not about the fact that it happens - it's about whether it's right.

You don't discard the people that helped the organization grow in the first place.

"Disposable Performers":

In DCI the only thing that matters is the pusuit of the "Brass Ring". All other things, including "Loyalty" for "Past Services" are secondary.

Very sad.

Elphaba

you know, this is not true of everywhere that is avaliable.

do vets get cut? sure.

are there always good reasons? maybe not.

but to generalize like that and say that it's all dci corps is simply untrue.

you know, this is not true of everywhere that is avaliable.

do vets get cut? sure.

are there always good reasons? maybe not.

but to generalize like that and say that it's all dci corps is simply untrue.

I don't think anyone is generalizing. We're just saying that in the places that it does happen, it's wrong.

Where "it" being specifically - vets being cut based purely on talent in favor of a more talented rookie.

I don't think anyone is generalizing. We're just saying that in the places that it does happen, it's wrong.

Where "it" being specifically - vets being cut based purely on talent in favor of a more talented rookie.

"Disposable Performers":

In DCI the only thing that matters is the pusuit of the "Brass Ring". All other things, including "Loyalty" for "Past Services" are secondary.

Very sad.

Elphaba