Best Arranged Corps

Top 6 of Last Year to narrow the selection  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps has the most talented arranger(s) for putting music on a football field??

• The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Devils
    • Bluecoats
    • The Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Don Hill was their brass arranger in 2002 and 2003.

Anyone know why Bocook took those years off?

Don't quote me on this, but I think he was off those years because he retired, but then came out of retirement in 2004 (?). I think I read this somewhere but I have to look it up again, or i'll just ask some fellow alum...

But I DEFINITELY have to say Jay Bocook. This guy is the KING. I fell in love with his arrangements of Stonehenge in 1998, especially the ballad, Canterbury Chorale. I still get goosebumps to this day when I watch the video. His arrangements are simply GENIUS. And in 2000, he really did a FANTASTIC job arranging the music for that show. I looked forward to performing it everytime we had a show.

...just my .02 cents....

Don't quote me on this, but I think he was off those years because he retired, but then came out of retirement in 2004 (?). I think I read this somewhere but I have to look it up again, or i'll just ask some fellow alum...

But I DEFINITELY have to say Jay Bocook. This guy is the KING. I fell in love with his arrangements of Stonehenge in 1998, especially the ballad, Canterbury Chorale. I still get goosebumps to this day when I watch the video. His arrangements are simply GENIUS. And in 2000, he really did a FANTASTIC job arranging the music for that show. I looked forward to performing it everytime we had a show.

...just my .02 cents....

How can you not mention 1999's City of Angels? By far the best ballad ever performed in DCI. Ever.

I must agree that Michael Klesh needs some love in this category. His arrangements with Garfield/CBC from 85 to 92 were incredible. He has done some fantastic arranging for other corps as well, including Crown the past few years, Colts a few years ago, and Phantom in 2000 and 2001 (two really great musical books). One thing I love about his arranging is that he focuses on arranging the music - an actual melody. He does not do the hack and slash and snip and cut arranging style that has come into vogue as of late.

I voted Phantom, as they are THE musical corps, as where Cavies are THE visual corps.

The thing I would like to say most is that it is my joy to have several shows every year that I love to listen to. It is my sadness that it is not near as many as in years past.

I have a lot of "favorites" and "best" but these three are the ones that I really have gotten into over the years. Not all of these are my "favorite" corps, but I do like some of the arrangers of these corps listed below.

Phantom Regiment - As a low brass performer, I really like how J.D. Shaw writes for the low brass in his arrangements.

The Cadets - Jay Bocook has also done some great low brass writing over the years for The Cadets. Cadets have had some great ballads over the years, that is definitely one of Jays greatest! BALLADS!

The Cavaliers - I enjoy Richard Saucedo's use of dense chords in his original compositions and arrangements. It doesn't sound like he is writing for just one "instrument" in the brass line, all instruments are required to blend and be "important" in his arrangements/compositions. His type of writing is very hard to pull off, because there is so much going on at once, and you have to be smart to understand what your roles and responsibilities are in performing them.

Blue Knights - Russ Newbury should also be on the list of great arrangers. His arrangements are interesting, as he takes some of the most complex pieces, and gives them some more "style" while keeping the original intent of the piece in tact. I really enjoyed his arrangement of "Piano Concerto Op. 38" by Samuel Barber--if he did the one in 2002, he did an even better job with the version he constructed in 2006.

I am not sure if Russ arranged BK 1998, but I also like their arrangement of the Shostakovich Symphony No. 10 more than I do the 2002 Phantom Regiment version--the performance was also much better too!

A few of the other great arrangers are on my list too (many have inspired me when I create my own compositions)... but I don't have time to list everyone!

Edited by Matthew

I love Jay's arrangements. His ballads are the best!! Saucedos arrangements have been starting to blend and their 2006 production was majority chord progressions from 02 and 04.

Really?

Analyze the show and prove it.