Academy Audition Camp

Cold weekend...only 70 for a high today. Windy too. Sorry, I know I'm rubbing it in.

What a cool idea! Drum corps audition camp...OUTSIDE! It's the city's sports complex and they were to accomplish the entire camp within the confines of a soccer field and surrounding parking lots. No school to rent, no school to clean!!! Another cool thing...two rented storage containers at the field. The equipment is stored in these. No need to rent a semi or hire a driver!

Saw the hornline at warmup after lunch. I didn't see any show music bandied about. Looked like warmups and having individuals peel off to do their solo auditions. Nice intonation, some release problems at times from the upper voices, but they were looking into the sun. Warmed up for 45 minutes before I had to leave.

Now for what many of you want to know. Numbers as of Sunday afternoon...

Brass Numbers

37 trumpets

21 mellophones

36 baritones

24 tubas

Drumline was going through a marching block this afternoon when we arrived. Looked like they were several experienced marchers...style seemed pretty consistent throughout the block. Less so, when going in reverse, but that's to be expected at audition blocks. I would have loved to see a tick box. Do corps still do tick boxes?

Drum Numbers

31 snares

17 tenors

14 basses

Guard was doing some wierd stuff with a rifle. I would have liked to see basics work at this point, but they were doing some movement, some spinning, and trying to do a big toss at the end. It was above most of the student's capabilities at this point. Lot's of drops, crashes, head clunks, etc. Definitely a crash helmet area. I think they have a winter guard. I am wondering whether their winter guard was rehearsing as well today. That might account for the relatively low turnout as compared to other sections.

Guard Numbers

34 guard

Pit was doing some basic exercises and sharing keyboards.

Pit Numbers

15 pit

There also seemed to be 3 DMs candidates around. One of them I recognize from last year.

Looks like about 232 as of Sunday at 3:30p. These are not official but observed. Auditioners could have came and left by this point in camp if they had previous committments. Veterans were at camp.

I thought when we moved out here, I'd be away from drum corps. I'm so glad to see a corps right nearby.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cool idea! Drum corps audition camp...OUTSIDE! It's the city's sports complex and they were to accomplish the entire camp within the confines of a soccer field and surrounding parking lots. No school to rent, no school to clean!!!

Oy, was this a one-day camp, if not I'm trying to figure out if had to do the old sleep in the parking lot deal! (yeah Liberty Bowl stadium day)

Oy, was this a one-day camp, if not I'm trying to figure out if had to do the old sleep in the parking lot deal! (yeah Liberty Bowl stadium day)

I think it was a two day camp. Academy....get ready...brace yourselves Div. I...has enough local members to house those outside the area. I know, who would have thunk it?

Pictures from Academy camp here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/arizonaacademy...itionPhotosDay1

Also updated camp numbers at 277. Here's the story.

http://www.arizonaacademy.org/nm/publish/news_252.php

Guard audition I saw must have been just those trying out for rifle I guess. Pics from Saturday look like at least 30 more than that on flags.

Also, pics of a 10 preson cymbal line audition. That should equal out the numbers.

Pretty impressive camp for the first year in Div. I.

Was the T-shirt part of the audition package? A good will freebie perhaps? Kinda cool.

Garry

Was the T-shirt part of the audition package? A good will freebie perhaps? Kinda cool.

Garry

yep, that's what it's been in the past. when i marched it turned into our under uniform shirt as well.

for the record, the 3 drum major "candidates" are the same 3 from last year, and they aren't auditioning, they all have already made it

Two comments...

One...are they all going to be sharing a single front podium? I'm not a fan of the breaks this causes in a corps show...waiting for the next DM to get their tur on the podium.

Did Academy put all three on separate front side podiums last year or am I mistaken?