Academy Audition Camp

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on switching majors, I believe this past season during cadets show the main DM was on the podium directing the hornline, and another DM came up onto the podium and started directing the drum line on the other side of the field with a different tempo during a transition section of the show. As the hornline, and their tempo, faded out the 1st DM stopped conducting and left the podium and the 2nd DM was directing the whole corps in the new tempo.

thought it was very effective and well coordinated.

Yeah, Cadets are usually pretty good about switching out their drum majors. In '01 they had the whole 3 over 2 thing going on and I'm pretty sure after that was over the first DM stepped down and the second one kept going.

Enough about Drum Majors - any more information about Academy?

What music did they play during camp?

Have they announced their 2007 program?

Were there any staff changes from 2006?

Are they having additional auditions?

What place will they come in for 2007?

Enough about Drum Majors - any more information about Academy?

What music did they play during camp?

Have they announced their 2007 program?

Were there any staff changes from 2006?

Are they having additional auditions?

What place will they come in for 2007?

Let's see if I can handle some of these.

1. I saw no season music during the 1 1/2 hours I was in attendance on Sunday afternoon. The hornline arced up, warmed up and individuals went off to audition. Drummers were marching a block.

2. No announcement as to their 2007 program as of yet.

3. I don't know. I saw Ralph Harimon on their consultant's list. I don't think he was working with them last season. Also, I believe they have some additional color guard help during the off-season this year. Brandi DuBose (sp?) is working with them.

4. They have one additional opportunity to audition. It's Saturday, December 16 and Sunday December 17 (both days)

5. It's really hard to say. Breaking into finals would be amazing, but I think 14-16 area is more realistic. Everything would have to break just right and more than a few corps would have to drop significantly from last year for them to crack Top 12 in '07. My opinion only.

the head drum major was on side one on the 35 yard line, then there was another on the side two 35 yard line, and then the third "mobile" drum major started on side one, conducting some of the opener, before moving back field in the ballad

i've heard about a bunch of other staff changes over there actually. Glen Crosby is heading up the percussion, they have a new Front Ensamble tech, and a bunch of different color guard staff. also, i heard that Ralph Hardimon and Murray Gussack are doing some consulting for the drumline. not 100% sure on that info though...

i've heard about a bunch of other staff changes over there actually. Glen Crosby is heading up the percussion, they have a new Front Ensamble tech, and a bunch of different color guard staff. also, i heard that Ralph Hardimon and Murray Gussack are doing some consulting for the drumline. not 100% sure on that info though...

well thats cool if they get both Ralph and Murray to go out there. i thought Murray was done teaching and helping...guess not ha

The last time I remember a Div I corps having 3 DMs was Regiment back in the day....late 70's or early 80s.

and the DM and field conductor positions are quite different. The DM is primarily a leader...the field commander....the conducting -- althoguh the most visible part of teh job -- is not the most important.

A field conductor is usually there for one purpose...to give the beat for those who can't see the DM because of field position or something blocking their view (like a contra bell)

'Course, there can be differances in usage here....but note that only the DM's come out for retreat to represent the corps, not teh additional conductors....

Cavies I think switch out the two DM's at some point in the show.

No. The DM is always the one on the podium. The Asst. DM is usually on the back, and there are occasionally other conductors in green uniforms in other places.

I believe Cavaliers have at least 3. (The last time I noticed was with Frameworks)

Historically, the Cavaliers typically only have one DM, though in 96, 97, and 2000-present there have been two. The Guard Sergeant is second in command...NOT the assistant drum major, and I believe this is why the corps went with only one DM for such a long time.

In 2002 there were three field conductors in addition to the DMs, so I can see how you would be confused.