Sly to SCV

Wow, use your ears and not a score. There was a SIGNIFICANT difference for the better. They may not have been that much cleaner is some aspects, but there was a much fuller and confident sound.

wd.

Remember when SCV placed 2nd in brass 2001 finals? That's when I realized that some scores are flawed.

Use your ears!!!

Edited by just_another_fanatic

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, Denise sure knows what she's doing in the hiring department. :)

I was shocked when I heard they were 2nd in brass in 2001. Yikes...

I mean, yeah, that is kind of surprising... but you have to remember that the caption is Brass Performance - Individual. While the judges do take into account intonation from player to player, it's must be difficult to get a feel for the total brass ensemble sound from down on the field. Mostly I think they're just judging inconsistencies from player to player down the line and the sounds they hear coming out of an individual horn. So while SCV's brassline in '01 didn't sound like a 2nd place line from the stands, you have no idea what they sounded like down on the field.

Dude.

I'm not going to go out claiming that we were the best ever, but you have to admit that we didn't suck. And the whole "potential of the show" blah blah blah... WHATEVER. People put SCV '04 on their all-time favorites list all the time. Just because we didn't win doesn't mean we didn't live up to the hype..... Can anyone else back me up on this?

PS: Not trying to grandstand... Just trying to debunk some myths.

04, best show I've seen in 15 years.

Regards,

John Swartz

I'm excited to see how things turn out, and if I keep up my responcibilities, I can't wait to be part of it. Of course, I would like to see the technique stay close to what it has been for the past few years. I'm not the biggest fan of the technique the Cavaliers use.

And 2004 definatly lived up to the hype, IMO.

Dude.

I'm not going to go out claiming that we were the best ever, but you have to admit that we didn't suck. And the whole "potential of the show" blah blah blah... WHATEVER. People put SCV '04 on their all-time favorites list all the time. Just because we didn't win doesn't mean we didn't live up to the hype..... Can anyone else back me up on this?

Aaron,

You have nothing to prove to anybody as a member of the Santa Clara Vanguard, esp. 2004. You were a member of the Santa Clara Vanguard! 'nough said.

Aaron... I would have to agree with everything that you are saying... I love the fact that you have so much enthusiasm about 04... however, coming from the exact same organization as you, I would have to say that given the circumstances it's always best to just hang out and see what transpires... I was merely using a case to back up my statement... by circumstance you and I happened to march that year... that's all... you don't need to defend anything...

All I'm saying is that sometimes staff DOES make a difference. Sly is a LEGEND. PERIOD. Same thing with Gino, and I was honored to be a part of that line. Heck, he was the deal sealer that made me want to march SCV that much more in '04... I'm not saying he was the reason we were good, but let's wait and see what happens before we doom the corps' expectations due to hype... If I remember correctly, hype is what drove us to do great things in '04... at least it did for me... I knew the fans wanted to see us throw down because I read these same forums... there was SO much hype, and I think it pushed us that much more... Hype can be a great thing if you can handle it and not cave into the pressure, which happens just as much as when it helps... I'm going to hype SCV because they deserve to be hyped.

GO SCV!

PS: Who are you? lol

Aaron,

You have nothing to prove to anybody as a member of the Santa Clara Vanguard, esp. 2004. You were a member of the Santa Clara Vanguard! 'nough said.

word bro.