Old Senior Corps Photos

I'm thinking that shot is cropped from the original album.

Did you notice the bottom of the pic?

FCLP2225 Fleetwood Compatible Stereo

Compatible?? Man that dates it, guess plays on a Mono record player then.

Did you notice the bottom of the pic?

FCLP2225 Fleetwood Compatible Stereo

Compatible?? Man that dates it, guess plays on a Mono record player then.

You can play it on a stereo, it just wasn't recorded in stereo. I'm not sure what compatible stereo means to be honest.

I found the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album in the back of a city bus mid 60's. That record was released in 1967. The record I found was a monophonic recording. Probably why it was left behind.

You can play it on a stereo, it just wasn't recorded in stereo. I'm not sure what compatible stereo means to be honest.

I found the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album in the back of a city bus mid 60's. That record was released in 1967. The record I found was a monophonic recording. Probably why it was left behind.

OK, I had it backwards then.... surprise.. surprise...

My ex-boss got Sgt Pepper on CD few years back..... then he started moaning that that was the 4th version (vinyl, cassette, 8 track, CD). LOL, wonder what version the vinyl was.

As for compatible stereo I goggled as I wondered myself. Too many hits to check right now for "compatible stereo" including Bluetooth. :blink: but did notice one tidbit on a budget record company (name with held by me) "When stereo was introduced, ###### tried a ploy by stating that their records were compatible mono/stereo, and could be played on either mono or stereo players. The public soon found out that mono players would damage these records just as easily as other stereo records". Kinda funny for a tech head like me.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

"compatible stereo"

OK, Mr. Tech Head. A mono phono cartridge sensed variations in the bottom of the groove. Stereo carts had two elements with axis at 60 degrees, and sensed variations in the sides of the groove. The wrong cartridge might still function {especially with a few pennies taped onto the tonearm) but would prematurely wear out the grooves in the LP. You could put a stereo cart into a mono machine, and wire the elements in parallel. This way, you could at least play the newfangled platters, although the output was only mono.

My first reel-to-reel tape recorder had stereo heads, but only a mono amp. I could overdub by bouncing tracks, but ultimately had to patch the unit to an external amp to get playback on both tracks.

Away at college (UW Madison) I of course had no piano. But a borrowed Hohner Pianet, plugged into that same reel-to-reel machine, was used to check out all my arranging projects.

Iron Lips, ya got anything to add to this history lesson?

• Like 1

OK, Mr. Tech Head. A mono phono cartridge sensed variations in the bottom of the groove. Stereo carts had two elements with axis at 60 degrees, and sensed variations in the sides of the groove. The wrong cartridge might still function {especially with a few pennies taped onto the tonearm) but would prematurely wear out the grooves in the LP. You could put a stereo cart into a mono machine, and wire the elements in parallel. This way, you could at least play the newfangled platters, although the output was only mono.

My first reel-to-reel tape recorder had stereo heads, but only a mono amp. I could overdub by bouncing tracks, but ultimately had to patch the unit to an external amp to get playback on both tracks.

Away at college (UW Madison) I of course had no piano. But a borrowed Hohner Pianet, plugged into that same reel-to-reel machine, was used to check out all my arranging projects.

LMAO, OK I took off my glasses and looked reallllll close but still can't see those 60 degree elements. But I'll take your word for it. Sounds more high tech than those little golden records I had in preschool half a century ago. Thanks for the info... goes along with

the 78s Gary M was selling that was blank on one side. Think I'll stick with my computers (bad enough)...

Only corps related thing I could add is Fleetwood 2225 is 1969 Fresh Air Fanfare. And Fleetwood had a choice of mono or stereo album (one or the other) up until 1964. Now I owe $1 to audiodb from his HODC chapter.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Only that you pretty much nailed it, I think.

The interesting thing about vinyl was that, regardless of stylus, the coefficient of sliding friction demanded a wearing away of some of the surface with each play. This would effect high frequency information in greater proportion and result in the disc ultimately "wearing out" to the point where the loss of clarity would become obvious even to the casual listener.

That's why we obsessives had to buy multiple copies of the Skyliner and Cabs albums to allow for the countless plays of Martin, Swan, Simpson, D'Amico and Angelica solos required to learn them "off the record".

• Like 2

Ballentine Brewers CG in Exhibition at Barnum Festival photo by Moe Knox. From the July 17 1963 DCN. From Duane C.

BallentineBrewersCGinExhibitionatBarnumFestivalphotobyMoeKnoxFromtheJuly171963DCNFromDuaneC.jpg

• Like 1

Rambling Rebels from Gastonia, N. Carolina. Photo by Atkins Studio. From the July 17 1963 DCN. From Duane C.

RamblingRebelsfromGastoniaNCarolinaphotobyAtkinsStudioFromtheJuly171963DCNFromDuaneC.jpg

• Like 1

Spats and Cowboy Hats.

In North Carolina, where they're playing on a NASCAR track . . . . . Facing away from the grandstand.

Rambling Rebels from Gastonia, N. Carolina.

RamblingRebelsfromGastoniaNCarolinaphotobyAtkinsStudioFromtheJuly171963DCNFromDuaneC.jpg

• 2 years later...

If I'm not mistaken that looks like the old Woodbine Racetrack out on Kingston road in Scarborough.

Actually it's the old DUFFERIN Track RCASC Trumpet Band later Jesters.