Cymbal grip technique?

Gentleman Marcher

I've recently taken a strong interest in marching cymbals and have been scouring the internet for any and all information I can get on them. Unfortunately, information on what I'm looking for--cymbal grips and technique--seems to be in short supply. There's little to no textual information I can find, and any videos are so low quality as to be almost useless in identifying what kind of grip is being used.

I'm familiar with using what my ensemble calls "corps" grip, that is, whole hand through the strap and wrapped around so the weight of the cymbal rests between the thumb the index finger. My experience finds this gives a lot of control but not a great capacity for flipping visuals, and no ability to spin.

I'm also familiar with what my ensemble calls "show-style" grip, which is apparently commonly "concert" grip. Index finger and thumb grip the strap near the bell. Great for spinning and flipping, but the strap always seems to slip down so playing the cymbals after visuals is problematic.

Is there a third kind of grip? Looking at corps and college band videos there seems to be a third grip style, with the hand inserted partway through the strap with the thumb outside. Can someone out there explain this to me, or enlighten me further on the subject?

For your corps style grip (also called "Garfield" grip), you should be able to do the visuals relatively easy, as the cymbals are merely extensions of your hand. If you're having trouble, likely the straps are too tight.

I wouldn't use concert grip for anything but the pit or an orchestral setting where you're free to put the cymbals down as you need to.

The third grip you mention is where you just put your four fingers through the strap and wrap it around your upper palm so it's tight. I personally find that grip rather awkward, since it requires some constant tension to hold onto the cymbals, but you don't have as much control as you do in Garfield grip.

• 1 month later...

Hello

well i marched sacramento freelancers 92-94 and we used a grip called pistol grip

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends on what is most important to you, the line you play in, or the instructor.

I have both marched and taught cymbal lines in drum corps and I also teach at the high school level, always have used Garfield grip... makes the most sense. If you are in it to play a large variety of techniques, go with this grip. First and foremost, the grip needs to be functional and comfortable enough to last through long hours of practice. I always tell my students, "make it tight enough that it borders on being too tight...meaning, any tighter and it would be uncomfortable." That will ensure good grip without going into the realm of uncontrollability. A huge part of a cymbal lines presence is their initial look... I always grit my teeth and sneer when I see a cymbal line that isn't controlling their cymbals...it makes them look sloopy and is honestly an eye sore.

I would use the other grip only when crashing cymbals in the pit or in a concert style setting.

Edited by LoveSOS