Top 5 Most Influencial Shows of All Time

BD 76 ...

Garfield 83-85 ...

even Cavies 02 ...

and many of the others mentioned above ...

... all very influential and easy to put on a list of the "5 most influential shows of all time."

In my list, I felt I had to include at least two shows prior to the formation of DCI, because to do otherwise is to not give credit to the driving influences which fostered an organization designed to promote creativity in drum corps' programing.

The roots of the wonderful aspects of drum corps we enjoy today are there.

My marching years preceeded all of these shows.

It was as a member of the audience that I gazed upon Troopers '70 and Scouts '71 and SCV '73 and knew I was seeing something which would forever change drum corps as I had marched it.

Had these corps ... Garfield Cadets needs to be on this list somehow ... not taken those intial steps to break from tradition ... planting the thought in the minds of their directors that they could not continue to grow and evolve under the old CYO, VFW stuctures ... drum corps would likely not even exist as a performance art form today.

Just my thoughts ...

(edited for accuracy)

Edited by oldguard

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers '71 Circus Show - one of the first (if not the first) total concept show. Jugglers, tumblers, a clown. Took the formula of "play a song and make shapes, then another song and make shapes, then stand still and play a song, then make some more shapes and play a song, then leave while playing a song" and then gave it a storyline and guiding theme. There was another thread that talked about the Cavaliers and concept shows. Well, this was the first (but definitely not the best).

Cavaliers '71 Circus Show - one of the first (if not the first) total concept show. Jugglers, tumblers, a clown. Took the formula of "play a song and make shapes, then another song and make shapes, then stand still and play a song, then make some more shapes and play a song, then leave while playing a song" and then gave it a storyline and guiding theme. There was another thread that talked about the Cavaliers and concept shows. Well, this was the first (but definitely not the best).

Yes! Thanks.

How could I not include that one? I was trying to remember which Cavies show I needed to put in there.

But then ... what to take out?

It is really difficult to pin this down in so few shows ... in reality, it is likely impossible.

Edited by oldguard

I know the Scouts did a Wizard of Oz show before DCI was formed....not sure of the year though. Actually....hmmm, it might have been Alice in Wonderland. (To Corpsreps.com!)

- Yep it was Wizard of Oz. Actually done the same year as the Cavaliers' circus show.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

2007 Cavaliers - Will hopefully finally make pop/rock music a viable choice for DCI (beyond the occasional ballad or one-off). Will hopefully influence the marching band world for many years to come, in the same way 93 Star did, but in a better way.

Pop has been done in DCI ever since its inception. VK played Beatles. BD has played current jazz for years. I could go on.

Anywho, back on topic!

1. Star '93 - It became about the corps, and the audience had to catch up to it. The horn book showed you didn't need to filll it up to enjoy it, and the drum book it the tastiest I've ever heard. It also brought p a brilliant mix of music and visual design. Andm the show never stopped, cramming as much content as possible into the short 11 or so minutes.

2. Cadets '87 - Just pushed the activity to a whole new level.

3. Cavies '00 - It started their run, as evidenced by the fact that every show after that sounded just like the one before.

4. Cadets '00 - GE-tastic. The split up percussion features just blew everyone away.

5. Cadets '05 - Great use of amps and showed that even an extremely challenging show can be pulled off with almost unseen excellence.

1. Madison Scouts 1997

2. Phantom Regiment 1996

3. Santa Clara 1999

4. Cavaliers 2002

5. Blue Devils 2004

with Cavaliers and Regiment 2006 close behind.

SCV 1974, the total musicality, two time signatures at the same time, the young persons guide drumsolo fitting seamlessly in.

27th 1975 (I think) had the double-flags.

BD 1976, Channel One Suite, WOW!!! You could do one super long song, and made the BIG snareline fashionable. (Remember, WOW 10 snares.)

SCV 1980 Changed the way the corps moved around the field

I think you are dead on here.

SCV 1987 Brought '"storytelling" to a new level.

Yea, not so much. While I love this show (it's still my favorite SCV show ever), this show wasn't influential. The real "storytelling" innovators at that time were the Sky Ryders. Their shows in 1985-88 were far more influential than SCV.

Star 93....set the tone for the modern era

Cadets 87

Cadets 83

SCV 74

Royal Airs 65

5. Madison Scouts Alumni 2006 - This is the true definition of the word family. For 15 minutes, all of us were taken back in time. For those of us lucky enough to see the Scouts of the 70's, 80's and 90's, we were allowed to relive our youth. For those that had never witnessed the Scouts of old, it was a chance to see buffet of one of the greatest corps of all time. The Scouts were famous for getting the crowd to stand and scream their heads off (I think this is where the term "throw your first born on the field as a sacrifice" was born"). On this night the standing ovations were accompanied by tears of joy. There is no better way, IMO, to educate the youth of this activity on drum corps of yesterday.

1. 1995 Madison Scouts

2. 2000 Cavaliers

3. 1988 SCV